Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Javir
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99

Modus Veritas Accuracy Suggestion

Instead of having Modus Veritas be hit or miss, it should be given degrees of chance.

For example at base:

Miss/Fail: 10%, Low (50-75% power) 30%, normal 50%, bonus (125-150% power) 10%.

If stacking is still considered an issue and you have a few options.

1. Modus Veritas can't stack and fails. (no thanks!)

2. Modus Veritas can't stack and overwrites. In this case it should only overwrite if it's higher on the above scale. (still not preferred, but tolerable)

3. Change the threshold of the scale if the target is already under the affect of Modus Veritas. for example: Miss/Fail: 30%, Low (50-75% power) 50%, normal 10%, bonus (125-150% power) 10%.

This option discourages from trying to stack due to lower efficiency but doesn't negate the option. The percentages could be slightly adjusted for harder NMs, but you should never let it drop below a 50% chance to land at all, even if it will only land at a slightly lower power. Keep in mind, that Helixes already have their own chance to be resisted.

Plus think of the fun 99 merit tweaks you could make!
    (0)

Player
    Change it to an ability you use before casting and completely remove the idiotic stacking aspect. In this day and age the only real way to have multiple instances of Modus is if they drop it to a subjob ability along with Helices, which they probably plan on doing. If you plan on imposing the previous accuracy penalty on cumulative uses then the stacking aspect is once again worthless. SE were really short sighted with this ability, the stacking exploit shouldn't have been hard to anticipate, six Scholars are never going to be in the same party, why the hell didn't they just cap it at two or three cumulative uses? Braining is hard for the developers it seems.

But I digress, have it work like a Stratagem while remaining independent from them. Use it. Cast Helix. Helix deals double damage and has halved duration, or less depending on Merits. Extend its use to other spells too. Light Arts it works with Adloquium and Regens. Dark Arts it works with Helices and that planned -TP/tic enfeeble. Perfect dichotomy.

I'll get tired of reposting this idea one day, I promise.
    (9)

Character
    Raksha
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotek View Post
    Change it to an ability you use before casting and completely remove the idiotic stacking aspect. In this day and age the only real way to have multiple instances of Modus is if they drop it to a subjob ability along with Helices, which they probably plan on doing. If you plan on imposing the previous accuracy penalty on cumulative uses then the stacking aspect is once again worthless. SE were really short sighted with this ability, the stacking exploit shouldn't have been hard to anticipate, six Scholars are never going to be in the same party, why the hell didn't they just cap it at two or three cumulative uses? Braining is hard for the developers it seems.

But I digress, have it work like a Stratagem while remaining independent from them. Use it. Cast Helix. Helix deals double damage and has halved duration, or less depending on Merits. Extend its use to other spells too. Light Arts it works with Adloquium and Regens. Dark Arts it works with Helices and that planned -TP/tic enfeeble. Perfect dichotomy.

This

10char
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    I want to say that there's a middle ground here but this isn't really middle ground. A lot of old systems were shit. Some new systems aren't much better. What's in the middle of shit and shit? More Shit. So no, I don't want a middle ground. I want something good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Landsoul View Post
    >Twilight Scythe is overpowered that's why we're nerfing it
    >Weapons with double damage compared to relic

LOGIC.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    \m/ (*.*) \m/ "THIS SOLUTION IS THE MOST METAL!" \m/ (*.*) \m/

Character
    Einalem
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Well.... MV wasn't broken until they released the Merit categories for Modus Veritas Duration. Before that it was a Flat Double Damage for Half Duration. Multi-stacking didn't add any benefit, as X2 and /2 were constants. Technically speaking, the best 'fix' is to Lower Modus Veritas Accuracy based of Merits so that every X% of Duration shaved from the Duration = a Y% chance of failure with a 100% base accuracy (I'm not sure if I like resists either, but that's a different matter)
    (0)

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Honestly, the fix is as easy as no stacking, no resists. Keeps the original concept, but without the exploits.
    (0)

Character
    Raksha
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    It's probably not that easy. I'm guessing the debuff itself has the dmg per tic and the duration built into it, and modus just modifies those values. Having it detect when 2 moduses have been used and ignoring the second one would probably require some fancy code to be written.

Not that i'm saying its impossible, I agree that it should be changed to be that way, but it probably isnt that simple.
    (0)
    I want to say that there's a middle ground here but this isn't really middle ground. A lot of old systems were shit. Some new systems aren't much better. What's in the middle of shit and shit? More Shit. So no, I don't want a middle ground. I want something good.

LOGIC.

The day they fix Modus Veritas is the day they return it to its former glory. Since that's never going to happen, I won't be holding my breath for it, and my merits will be saved for something more useful.
    (1)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Raksha View Post
    It's probably not that easy. I'm guessing the debuff itself has the dmg per tic and the duration built into it, and modus just modifies those values. Having it detect when 2 moduses have been used and ignoring the second one would probably require some fancy code to be written.

Not that i'm saying its impossible, I agree that it should be changed to be that way, but it probably isnt that simple.
    I took Delvish's comment to be more about ease of concept more than ease of programming. In that regard I agree we don't have to get super complicated about the design of fixing Modus Veritas. "No miss, no stack" is good enough for me.

I'll say though that I'm enjoying the new recast, along with the other 99 SCH changes. They're not really making me feel more comfortable in a main healing role or bringing me as close to my BLM as I'd like, but they have removed some of the annoying barriers to enjoying the job. I still think we need a dispel resistance for our buffs, and some magnification to the enhancing magic category to align with the other 76->99 growth. Although I still don't get why I needed to be able to cast Noctohelix on WHM/SCH. Oh, and Modus Veritas shouldn't miss...ever.
    (0)

Character
    Raksha
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton9999 View Post
    I took Delvish's comment to be more about ease of concept more than ease of programming. In that regard I agree we don't have to get super complicated about the design of fixing Modus Veritas. "No miss, no stack" is good enough for me.

Well if we want the easiest fix it would be to just remove it from the game (or at least from VW triggers) and then just forget about it.

Anything else would have to be coded, and if it was that easy they would have done it the first time.
    (0)

LOGIC.

Character
    Aerolite
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotek View Post

Reading the SCH forums always makes me extremely bitter towards SE because I constantly see them ignore great ideas like this one. From the start, SE really chose the wrong method for fixing modus veritas.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast