Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Character
    Nightfyre
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonofhunger View Post
    How does the additional TP from an OA2-4 sword factor into the comparisons?

I've asked on various boards and never seen the actual equations being used when sword comparisons are being done. No one has ever offered them up
    Badly. I did a comparison with it a while ago by request and the long story short is that our relatively high base multiattack rate and the inferior delay combine to make it very unattractive. I did the comparison both in and outside Abyssea. Changes since then have if anything only made it worse relative to other options.
    (2)

Character
    Demonprince
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfyre View Post
    Badly. I did a comparison with it a while ago by request and the long story short is that our relatively high base multiattack rate and the inferior delay combine to make it very unattractive. I did the comparison both in and outside Abyssea. Changes since then have if anything only made it worse relative to other options.
    Once again, I'll ask for the actual calculations used to make that determination.

As far as I can tell from what little has been posted, the assumptions used to make that determination are radically different from what I know about BLU. (For example, SE has confirmed BLU set DA is only 7% and our DA gear choices are not that great, so I don't even know what you are talking about when you say "high base multi-attack" considering /WAR is going to be terrible in a lot of situations. I don't even see why there is such a large importance being placed on rare DA conflicts with OA2-4 on normal strikes.)

I'll grant that the evaluation may be correct, but the fact that no one I have asked on multiple boards has ever provided figures or what conditions were used does not inspire confidence in the evaluation.
    (0)

Character
    Prothescar
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    On the contrary, /WAR is the best melee sub that BLU can use in any situation that it would be meleeing aside from solo.
    (4)

Character
    Demonprince
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Prothscar View Post
    On the contrary, /WAR is the best melee sub that BLU can use in any situation that it would be meleeing aside from solo.
    What situation would you use /WAR for?

I do a lot of lowmanning, tanking, and soloing, and in those situations I can't see /WAR being useful since it lacks damage mitigation. Honestly, I can't think of a single situation where /WAR would be the best choice.

Are people making these evaluations based on some theoretical fight where /WAR would be useful to max out melee strikes and the enemy never hits you or uses TP moves? I could see that happening in merit Abyssea parties, but who really cares about maxxing melee there since mobs last a few seconds each? You could increase kill speed better by simply BLU-burning.

It's these kinds of issues that make me really want to see the original calculations. I'm only asking that someone post a link.
    (0)

Character
    Prothescar
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Could just get better support. I don't have Nightfyre's information concerning swords, however using common sense and experience with the job for several years, I can affirm my belief in /WAR being the superior sub job for BLU in most situations where you're meleeing these days. That allows access to a large amount of multiattack+, which does not mesh well with an OA2-4 weapon. Beyond that, the weapon's pitiful base damage and delay make it even more unattractive. Surely you can see that?
    (2)
    Last edited by Prothscar; 12-24-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Character
    Niloc
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    In VW /war is fantastic if you plan on meleeing the monster. Occultation is nothing to be sniffed at, and Magic Barrier is good for negating that next AoE. But really? A good group in VW should be able to keep you in fanatic drinks about 80% of the time.

You can set triple attack on BLU main, have double attack from sub, zerk + aggresor, dual wield 3 naturally from BLU now. It has a lot to really push up your melee damage.

I've tried /war at Pil, Akvan, Kaggen, Qilin etc and I survive just as easily as any other DD and I'm able to provide massive chunks of damage.
    (1)

Character
    Tashan
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Indeed theory fighting can only be respected as far, but as said before I'm not willing to sit down and calculate the results because it would take too much time. Particularly since the answer is predictably obvious.

However, what I am willing to do is some parsing. I so happen to have an OA2-4 Khanda and a STR Shamshir. If you want to set the parameters and situations for me test the two weapons I will do so. Simply look at the considerations which need to be made on the list I wrote and submit your specifications.

I will then do the parsing when I can get around to it. With the holiday season that may not be until the 27th at least.
    (1)

Reduce or get rid of the penalty incurred after setting blue magic spells.
    The concept is that you acquire blue magic spells via learning and then you can change battle strategies by picking and choosing spells within the blue magic spell points and set limitations. If you were able to change spells freely, the whole battle strategy aspect would be lost, so we have no plans to remove/reduce the penalty.

Character
    Demonprince
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tashan View Post
    Indeed theory fighting can only be respected as far, but as said before I'm not willing to sit down and calculate the results because it would take too much time. Particularly since the answer is predictably obvious.

However, what I am willing to do is some parsing. I so happen to have an OA2-4 Khanda and a STR Shamshir. If you want to set the parameters and situations for me test the two weapons I will do so. Simply look at the considerations which need to be made on the list I wrote and submit your specifications.

I will then do the parsing when I can get around to it. With the holiday season that may not be until the 27th at least.
    If you have an Almace (85) or better to mainhand, go for it. I'd love to see what the parses look like on EM or stronger foes that aren't feeding you a lot of TP.

If it's just a parse on abyssea leveling mobs or not using an Almace (85) or better, it would be a waste of your time.
    (1)

Character
    Tashan
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I have an Almace (90), a (90) OA2-4, and a Shamshir (95).
    (0)

Reduce or get rid of the penalty incurred after setting blue magic spells.
    The concept is that you acquire blue magic spells via learning and then you can change battle strategies by picking and choosing spells within the blue magic spell points and set limitations. If you were able to change spells freely, the whole battle strategy aspect would be lost, so we have no plans to remove/reduce the penalty.

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonofhunger View Post
    What situation would you use /WAR for?

I do a lot of lowmanning, tanking, and soloing, and in those situations I can't see /WAR being useful since it lacks damage mitigation. Honestly, I can't think of a single situation where /WAR would be the best choice.

Are people making these evaluations based on some theoretical fight where /WAR would be useful to max out melee strikes and the enemy never hits you or uses TP moves? I could see that happening in merit Abyssea parties, but who really cares about maxxing melee there since mobs last a few seconds each? You could increase kill speed better by simply BLU-burning.

It's these kinds of issues that make me really want to see the original calculations. I'm only asking that someone post a link.
    BLU/WAR is used when you need maximum melee offense. Almace/STR Shamshir with DWIII set and as many JT's as you can fit along with A.Spikes and Q.strike (self SC properties). Use occulation for damage mitigation and ride zerg while spamming CDC as much as possible. It's not a sub for solo / small group scenarios.
    (1)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast