Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I personally don't have parry leveled, but I highly doubt it, as shield, evasion, and guard all increase the rate.

Again, to really see a diff, you have to whore the guard in virtually every slot.

Try this, I've always believed it was compared to the mob's combat skill (which is why it's easier to get a decent rate on lower end mobs).

If your parry is capped, gear parry and go try it out on some lower level mobs.
    (0)

Player
    i think the problem lies where the parry and guard proc. They are the last thing to have a chance to proc are they not? Your evasion and everything else has to be passed before you will guard or parry, but at least SE said they are gonna increase the skill up rate for guard and parry right! /clap /hurray *cough* this should have been done years ago
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Parry procs after evasion, before utsu.

For guard.

Evasion > Shadow > counter > guard > hit.

As far as that being the problem, it's not.

When i say 5% guard rate, I mean 5% of the attacks get past evasion, shadow, and counter and only consider the guard vs hit options.
    (0)

Player
    Meant for anything T+ it seems to be the same as guard then, even with capped skill you're pretty much floored. if it wasn't for extenuating circumstances I'd go back to testing EM and lower but for anything higher there was no difference.
    (0)

Character
    Denabond
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Superchicken View Post
    i think the problem lies where the parry and guard proc. They are the last thing to have a chance to proc are they not? Your evasion and everything else has to be passed before you will guard or parry, but at least SE said they are gonna increase the skill up rate for guard and parry right! /clap /hurray *cough* this should have been done years ago
    Parry checks after evasion, but before it eats a shadow. That's why Nin's can parry with shadows up. Guard is after Evasion, shadows, and counter. So yeah basically after everything else.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Neisan_Quetz View Post
    Meant for anything T+ it seems to be the same as guard then, even with capped skill you're pretty much floored. if it wasn't for extenuating circumstances I'd go back to testing EM and lower but for EM+ I hadn't seen a difference.
    Skill still makes a diff, just you need a lot of it.

Keep in mind, going by my theory it's your skill vs their skill.

Guard and parry are already A- on mnk and nin vs the A+ skill of a lot of T+ mobs.

A+ is getting what? 6 skills per level now? and a T mob is up to 4 lvs higher than you.

So if your parry is capped at 90, you have 354 parry skill vs up to 385 weapon skill of lv 94 mob.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Cream_Soda View Post
    Parry procs after evasion, before utsu.

For guard.

Evasion > Shadow > counter > guard > hit.

As far as that being the problem, it's not.

When i say 5% guard rate, I mean 5% of the attacks get past evasion, shadow, and counter and only consider the guard vs hit options.
    let me rephrase it, didnt mean it as a problem just saying other thigns have to get bypassed before the gaurd proc is even considered so of course its gonna have a low proc rate was what i was getting at. I don't see a problem with guard how it is, the only thing that is meh is the skill up rate imo. Seems like people want to be guarding half the time and what not, and people want the game to become easier and easier and more like WoW the longer the game stays in existance.

"Hey i cant claim this NM, make it instanced, or hey the crafters are monopolizing the market on x item make it so i can buy it from an NPC" How bout we just have SE give everyone everything in the game they want while we are at it.

People are forgetting more and more this game is a time sink and it takes time to get stuff done, acquire things you want etc.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    let me rephrase it, didnt mean it as a problem just saying other thigns have to get bypassed before the gaurd proc is even considered so of course its gonna have a low proc rate was what i was getting at.
    I understood exactly what you said.

My answer still stays the same.

out of the number of hits TAKEN, the guard % rate is at a base of 5%.

That means only including the times you get hit (and not even looking at or counting evades, shadows, or counters in the comparison).
    (0)

If your getting hit by T+ mobs or any kind of XP mob, and you think it sucks, manage your hate better, and if your meant to be tanking because of your high HP, then get some decent defense and guard gear. MNK is a DD, it's only meant to take hits when you accidentally take hate from a 2.4K TK, or when you solo. Thats when guard and your masses of HP help to keep you alive, not to make you able to solo/tank a T+ mob.

Remember, every DD in FFXI is the same, kill the mob before it kills you. If your finding yourself dying, your aiming too high^^

And the as for the proc rate, at EM it should proc enough to keep you alive, that is all. Don't go expecting to solo T+/VT mobs just because gaurd skill is capped.
    (0)
    Guarding 207 - Goldsmithing 30 - Cooking 30 - Smithing 30

Maybe it's time to stop killing mandy's...

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    MNK is a DD, it's only meant to take hits when you accidentally take hate from a 2.4K TK
    A) Mnk is pretty much the go to tank in this game at the moment and has been a good tank for years.
    B) 2.4k by today's standards is nowhere even close to an impressive number for a WS, so I'm not sure why you picked that number.
    (0)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast