San d'Oria / Valefor. Been playing on and off since 2004
    Character
    Blackone
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 39

Full or Compact - A question for PC users

Coming back to the game I decided I'd let my wife try it out and see how she likes FFXI. We have been playing together for a week now and she loves the game as I knew she would. Now we both play from our laptops, though my laptop came with a full key pad where as her's did not. This of course means she has to play with the compact setup unless she uses a different keyboard w/ a number pad. So far, for someone new to the game and online gaming as a whole, she seems to be doing well with just her compact setup. Recently however in a conversation I had with a RL buddy of mine, who plays with us, he made it sound as if she were crippling herself for not playing with a number pad. Here at last is my questions I wish to put forth.

1. Which in your eyes is better? Full or compact? Why?
    2. Does playing compact really harm one's ability to play? Why?
    (0)

Character
    Khelina
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    1) Full KB - Free range of both hands... However, I'm still using a Logitech PS3 style gamepad,
    2) I dunno, I try not to play XI on my netbook because the compact KB bugs me, having to FN-NUM to walk then FN-NUM to go back and type... also if I hold FN-8 to walk and let go of the FN key I keep walking... so much fun when aggroing a IT++ oops!
    (0)
    WAR NIN SAM

Player
    Compact is better. You can effortlessly swap from controlling to chatting. I wish more MMOs used the same setup.
    (0)

Character
    Canadian
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraBlackone View Post
    Coming back to the game I decided I'd let my wife try it out and see how she likes FFXI. We have been playing together for a week now and she loves the game as I knew she would. Now we both play from our laptops, though my laptop came with a full key pad where as her's did not. This of course means she has to play with the compact setup unless she uses a different keyboard w/ a number pad. So far, for someone new to the game and online gaming as a whole, she seems to be doing well with just her compact setup. Recently however in a conversation I had with a RL buddy of mine, who plays with us, he made it sound as if she were crippling herself for not playing with a number pad. Here at last is my questions I wish to put forth.

1. Which in your eyes is better? Full or compact? Why?
    2. Does playing compact really harm one's ability to play? Why?
    I guess your question is more aimed towards laptop users, not all PC users. I don't know anything about laptops and such so I don't know what a 'compact keypad' is exactly. I took a look at my brother's laptop versus my dad's laptop and they both look the same to me.

I, for one, cannot play FFXI on a laptop though. I can only play on a Desktop PC and only with a keyboard -- no mouse and no controller.
    (0)

I personally prefer the compact setting because I am right handed and do not use a controller it is a more natural feeling setup for me. But this is a personal preference either setup you choose to play it does not change the ability to play in the least just which keys you push to do actions.
    (0)

Character
    Unaisis
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    i would recommend a ps2/3 type controller to play 11. It is soooo much easier than holding your hands in the spider position over the keys on your keyboard @.@. i used to play without a controller for the longest time and i swear i could make the Emperor's <star wars> lightning hands without even trying /zap. Playing 11 with a controller is much more comfortable and prolly reduces your risk on getting carpal tunnel <i think lol>. thats just me tho...
    (0)

http://www.youtube.com/user/koga41

Character
    Gaspee
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    I, too, prefer the compact setup for laptop. In my opinion, it's more intuitive.
    (0)

A big thanks to Kingfury for my signature!

I use compact, because I want to use wasd. I would have preferred to be able to remap every key to my liking, but that is apparently super duper hard to implement :<.
    (0)

Character
    Lightpalm
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I use compact. one hand on asdw and one hand on the arrow keys
    (0)

Character
    Canadian
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaisis View Post
    i would recommend a ps2/3 type controller to play 11
    I will have to disagree with this. I connected my PS3 controller to PC to attempt to play 11 with and I have to say, it's 10x harder to play 11 with controller than it is with a full keyboard. Pulling up macro sets on controller can be tedious at times especially for mage jobs. In the time it took me to find and use 1 spell using a controller, I could have already used 5 spells with keyboard.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast