Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Sureaboutthis
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99

Slow version update

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place as this is more of a playonline problem than a game problem.

Platform: Windows
    ISP: Canal Digital
    Type of Internet Connection: CATV
    Internet Connection Speed: 70Mbps
    Date & Time: Des 11, 2011 21:43 GMT+1

The version update released 14/12 seem to download very slow.

This patch is 137.1MB for the windows version.

On my 70Mbps connection a bestcase download time would be about 15-16 seconds, instead it seems to be taking about 4-5 hours.
    (the same speed a 56 Kbps modem would use to download this amount of data!)

Would it be possible to change the downloader to use a faster server or alternatively bittorrent?

FFXIV uses bittorrent for its laucher so SE obviously has the technology.
    (2)
    Last edited by Sureaboutthis; 12-15-2011 at 05:49 AM.

Character
    Maranello
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 95
    Same for me and I'm on 100MB...
    (0)

it's more an issue with the connections in general--as in too many people pulling the download atm. Best I've gotten from most any server over there is a 6Mb stream on average during peak traffic (and I've been able to maintain upwards of 12Mb streams to closer sites). Granted, I don't do much pulling from the JP region, as most companies will have a regional server that is better to use.

14's torrent system was using P2P when I was in the beta...so you were using shared pooling amongst the players. That may require more of a change to the underlying structure of the POL system than they are willing to commit to. Would be great if they would do it...I just don't expect them to any time soon. We'd probably have better luck asking for offline regional download mirrors. Given enough time, a new package with the updated ROM's may be made available at one of the FFXI forum sites to that end.
    (0)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Meyi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Are you new to FFXI and update time? The day of update is always the slowest to upload. If you were to wait a couple of days the speed would pick up tremendously.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    ^_________________________________________________________________^

Character
    Sureaboutthis
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Point is that i pay 0 Euro per year to access youtube.com and can watch all the 1080p vids i want, while i pay about 155 Euro per year to play FFXI and still download at a trickle.
    (1)

Player
    Given FFXI's current dev budget, and how they haven't upgrade their download pipelines over the past 8 years, I doubt we'll be seeing any changes for the foreseeable future.
    (1)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    One thing they actually got right with XIV was P2P downloads.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    One thing they actually got right with XIV was P2P downloads.
    Only if you used a proper torrent client. XIV's 'official' one was absolutely horrendous on average connection speeds and it abused your upstream while it was at it, making web browsing or doing other online tasks a no-go while updating.

It's always one step forward, two steps back with this company. They don't know how to make PC games, and refuse to look at how other companies do their business as an example.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The update is slow because a lot of people are downloading it. It's not a bug.
    (1)

Character
    Joleen
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Since i've been playing this game i've always considered "update day" a write-off. I've always found something else to do that day because its a bloody nightmare to update it and it's always been like that. SE has shown no interest in fixing the logjam, so you might as well find the closest wall and start shouting at it.
    (0)
    The Doctor Said I Wouldn't Have So Many Nosebleeds If I Kept My Finger Outta There

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast