Character
    Sappho
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 30

Diabolos & Fenrir

I went through the 150+ threads in the SMN forum and didn't see a thread related to my question, so I thought I'd post a new topic.

I'm just fiddling around with SMN for fun while helping a friend who is new to the game. I have the six "main" avatars, but do not have Fenrir or Diabolos. My SMN is only Lv.30.

At what point do I *need* to get Fenrir & Diabolos so that I don't have to hang my head in shame?

In other words, when do Fenrir & Diabolos get Rage or Wards that are helpful in party/group/alliance situations?

Nightmare (Lv.29) looks great on paper, but how is it in reality?

What about Ultimate Terror (Lv.37)?

Does Noctoshield (Lv.49) stack with Phalanx?

Is Crescent Fang (Lv.10) just an expensive Paralyze?

Is Lunar Cry (Lv.21) designed for IT mobs?

thanks for the feedback.
    (0)
    What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
    ~ Elvis Costello

It is all relative.

Nightmare is a good utility sleep to sleep something that your friends accidentally threw a DoT spell on. But it has worse duration than sleepga from Shiva.

Ultimate terror makes Diabolos stronger, but not so much stronger that you really notice it unless you are mass farming EP and have 10 mobs around you.

Noctoshield does not stack with phalanx and it is about -13 damage even at level 99. So you'll really never use it, unless again, fighting massive amounts of EP.

Crescent Fang is like all other low level BPs. Just for debuffs. But since SE put them on global timers to emulate WSes, they are more like low level WSes. So to answer your question, it is about as useful as level 10 WSes through your game. And most people don't use them outside of triggering.

I don't remember about Lunar Cry. Most likely it lands on IT mobs that aren't dark resistant. It does however land easier when you are 60+ with some +skill on.

Most main SMNs do not even use fenrir and diabolos at 80+. We tend to use Garuda/Shiva/Titan mainly. (I like ramuh)
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    We are currently looking into enhancing elemental spirits.
    Miracles do happen!

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    And Alexander for certain situations.

Also, Diabolos can be used, occasionally, for an AoE Refresh effect and Dream Shroud to increase MAB. We used this in sea at one point to farm some Ix'aerns, 5x BLM + SMN for MAB and Refresh aura. But that's also situational.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Sargent
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    For Voidwatch, need both. All mob target Blood Pacts Lv.90 and below are considered procs. With the way SE is going, future endame content will have a proc system, so it's good to have them in case they expand it to the Last Stand/Dungeon Crawl. Plus, it's not asif Fenrir or Diabolos are hard to get anymore.
    (0)
    SMN99/SAM99/DNC99/PLD99/THF99
    Summoning magic skill: 545
    Hvergelmir 90

Character
    Lilia
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    death spell for diabolos >.< next updates
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Lilia View Post
    death spell for diabolos >.< next updates
    Doubt it will be worth the MP it costs. But if you happen to just never run out of MP, you might throw that in.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    We are currently looking into enhancing elemental spirits.
    Miracles do happen!