Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

A little info for someone quite new to XI.

(Hello!)

I'm reasonably new to Final Fantasy XI, currently level 69, 1 more level to Maat fight (:\) and I've always wanted to play Ranger, and main it seriously, because I love ranged DD's & Crossbows.

Though, I understand that they cost a lot, with arrows and.. whatever else you need, so I haven't unlocked it yet at all and am instead leveling up a melee DD which bores me to death.
    So I'm just curious to ask - how much gil would be a good starting point to have to take up Ranger? I'd really love to do it ASAP but I know it's probally impossible for me (I have 80k gil at the moment) right now.

Thank you in advanced for your replies. Can't wait to be one of you guys!
    (0)

Character
    Swchocolatee
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    80k isnt gonna get you far in ammo. It would be best to level woodworking and synergy and make ammo and farm the stuff. Level thf to make it easier.
    (0)

Character
    Feliciaa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 90
    I 100% agree with Foxx about leveling THF to support your RNG. I also find BST to be a very good job to have once you can afford to spend more gil. With BST you can farm Dynamis and average 1M or so every day.

With those 2 jobs you should be able to afford ammo, crafting, and/or a relic gun/bow later too but the weapon is more of a end game ideal.

For now you should focus on 95 BST and/or THF for gil. IMO BST will get the most gil but THF can also earn gil and is a commonly wanted job for AF3 seal farming.

As for cost. Your goal should be to use the top or second best ammo for your level since it plays a big part in your damage but, I think it's ok if you use lower since you don't have much gil atm.
    (0)
    Last edited by Feliciaa; 12-06-2011 at 12:29 PM.

RNG isn't nearly as expensive to level as it was in the past due to GoV/Abyssea. You can use mediocre gear and ammo join an alliance, perform averagely and get to 95 as quick as you would with top gear and ammo. Save the real good stuff for NM fights and other events.

For those events its definitely wise to craft your own ammo so I'd try to quickly decide if you are going to be an Archery RNG or Marksmanship RNG primarily. Archery RNG would level WW and synergy whereas Marksmanship RNG would level alchemy, GS and synergy. Or you can just be a farmer and buy ammo. THF and BST are your friends here. Best farming targets are Dynamis currency, certain Empyrean pop items, sky augment items.
    (1)
    Yo Ho Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me!

Player
    Thanks for all the input, guys. I thought about making my own Bolts (I plan on Marksmanship, simply for aesthetics) but I barely know how it works, so I may have to pass on it now.

Also I've been leveling up THF alongside my main for the moment (Dragoon cause they look baller) because I have noticed I somehow earn more while I'm playing the THF, idk how it works but it's nice.

Also I hear cruor(?!) is a great way to earn gil end-game and I was more or less leaning on that to get gil so I can become a RNG, is this true?
    (0)

Character
    Shadowsong
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    BST is by FAR the most expensive job, totally in a class of it's own.
    A single NM fight can cost upwards of 100k or even more
    As a RNG main I don't even register the gil cost for arrows, it is pretty negligible to be honest. Two stack of Demon Quivers (~140k on Lakshmi) would last me weeks. You may want to rethink Marksmanship main though. Post 75, SE really tried to make Marksmanship a COR thing while trying to make RNGs stick to Bows. You can see it by how many Marksmanship weapons are availible 75+ for RNG (A whooping 2, and one is so bad it makes baby jesus cry)
    You also do not need to level THF to support a RNG. Don't forget about Bounty Shot, because you can get upwards of Treasure Hunter 5-6 on RNG, and can Cleave just as easily as a THF can with daggers.

Cruor is perhaps the most efficient way to obtain gil nowadays. You can purchase a 200 cruor item which sells for 520 gil from NPCs, giving you a 1:2.6 cruor to gil conversion. It works by obtaining Cruor, then heading to any Scars zone (ahttowa, misareaux, vunkerl) taking flux 00 and speaking to the Resistance Sapper and signing up for Desert Rain II. Afterwards, you can purchase Chocobo Blinkers enmass from the Chocobo Trainer in the camp, and then NPC them.
    (0)

Character
    Feliciaa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 90
    I would not count out marksmanship since its the strongest weapon RNG can get. Granted this is only if you can get the relic gun and the ammo is not cheap at all.
    (0)

Post 75, SE really tried to make Marksmanship a COR thing while trying to make RNGs stick to Bows. You can see it by how many Marksmanship weapons are availible 75+ for RNG (A whooping 2, and one is so bad it makes baby jesus cry)
    Until recently when Last Stand looks to be the sweetest of the new ranged WS. Wildfire and Last Stand are two of the best WS for ranged attackers, whether COR or not. And an empyrean gun is far easier to obtain than an empyrean bow. And while gun ammo isn't cheap, it doesn't get fired off as much so costs are generally pretty similar to Bow.

Now if only Xbow woud make a comeback. I loved my Obow in the day with Holies/DS/Acid bolts
    (0)
    Yo Ho Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me!

Player
    Thanks again for more input, I'll most likely go Archery now since I doubt I'll be getting anything Relic ever :b. And for the info about Cruor! That's extremely helpful!

On a side-note : Tried to get my Dragoon's Testimony today for Maat. Can't even solo the mob to get it. It's gonna be a long time till I get to fight Maat, methinks. ):
    (0)

Character
    Shadowsong
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    When I stated RNG = Archery, I was talking generalities. I tend to not discuss Empy and Relics with someone who obviously just joined the game lol.

If you server swap to Lakshmi I can help lol, otherwise GL

edited rather than do a double post:
    God I wish they would bring crossbows back. It makes no sense without it, heavy damage + heavy delay = gun, medium damage + medium delay = bow, low damage + low delay = crossbows, it seems weird to not have it as an option.
    And like you said, 4-5 years of OBow and Holy/Acid Bolts kinda got ingrained in my brain lol
    (0)
    Last edited by Shadowsong; 12-11-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast