Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: NIN Tanking

Character
    Tetsujin
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    sorry, couldn't help but be bothered by this so I went ahead and took a look at Kanican's enmity research.

Now we all agree that you'll hit hate cap right? that's 10,000 units CE.
    So all this extra swinging won't get you extra static hate, it'll only give you that "last action."

Mathematically we can argue that provoke isn't useless at all. It'll generate +1800 VE for the 30 seconds that it's down, which is most likely more you can generate in one action (better a single Job Ability than several, right? Less delay loss.)

Therefore, since VE adds to CE (and they don't share to cap) Provoke is beneficial to a situation with capped hate.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsujin View Post
    Therefore, since VE adds to CE (and they don't share to cap) Provoke is beneficial to a situation with capped hate.
    How do you mean the bolded part? VE and CE are completely different status values, they don't interact at all. Both CE and VE have their individual caps (both 10,000). And CE doesn't decline like VE does, but only when taking damage.

Only use for Provoke at Hate cap is the part I mentioned before, when a mob is running away from you (to the mages or something) to get it back.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Tetsujin
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Total Enmity is the combined value between CE and VE. that's what I meant.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsujin View Post
    Total Enmity is the combined value between CE and VE. that's what I meant.
    Doesn't change the fact that at hate cap, your TE is, well, capped. CE will usually be capped after a short while (VE almost instantly), so the only factor to consider is enmity loss from VE. Provoke doesn't contribute to enmity gain, it's only a small and short (and fast) burst for enmity control.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Tetsujin
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    ah I get where you're coming from.
    Dunno why, I assumed that VE wouldn't be capped since it's volatile but I forgot to consider that it builds faster than it decays.

Got it.
    (0)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5