Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: NIN Tanking

  1. #21
    Player scaevola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    726
    Character
    Scaevola
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    charm is a better taunt than provoke
    (0)
    tandava crackows + chocobo jig + animated flourish = prouesse ring

  2. #22
    Player Greatguardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Orenwald View Post
    I haven't read all the replies yet, I just wanted to point out the 1 flaw in this statement. at +/- 0 enmity it takes 30 seconds to lose the enmity from provoke, so no it's not a negative enmity ability. stop making yourself look stupid. The rest of this wall of text is more or less correct though.
    Provoke is net 0 Enmity in a vacuum, negative enmity in practice because you lose 120 delay of attack rounds in the JA animation/lock.

    The post was hyperbole, but the point was correct.
    (5)

    I will have my revenge!

  3. #23
    Player darkvision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    80
    Character
    Lightvision
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    no one really cares about EVA tanking anymore, if your a DD outting out high numbers rapidly, and can be kept alive then you can tank on that job, thats how the game is atm
    (1)

  4. #24
    Player Parriah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1
    Character
    Parriah
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 95
    Beating a dead horse : Damage = the king of hate.
    Nin with Dual wield and the ass loads of haste with the empy set bonus LOL you should be able to have the mobs attention, until EVERYONE gets to the hate LIMIT then you have a mob rotating around it's rather amusing.

    If you want to know what I consider a tank, I'll tell you: Holding a mobs Agro/Threat while mitigating as much damage as possible. THAT is tanking.
    (1)

  5. #25
    Player Cdryik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Windurst
    Posts
    173
    then you have a mob rotating around it's rather amusing.
    From my own experience, enmity merit play a big rôle on this. i gave up my enmity merit for spellcast interrupt and since then, i can get some trouble where the mob is rotating. when i had my enmity merit, i didn't have that kind of problem.
    You can guess easily that having some enmity while meleeing on auto-attack (well, mostly from merit, i don't see where you can put enmity stuff without losing some power) enhance greatly your holding hate.
    (0)

  6. #26
    Player Arcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San d'Oria
    Posts
    2,753
    Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdryik View Post
    From my own experience, enmity merit play a big rôle on this. i gave up my enmity merit for spellcast interrupt and since then, i can get some trouble where the mob is rotating. when i had my enmity merit, i didn't have that kind of problem.
    You can guess easily that having some enmity while meleeing on auto-attack (well, mostly from merit, i don't see where you can put enmity stuff without losing some power) enhance greatly your holding hate.
    Not at all. Full Enmity merits is just +10% Enmity generation. However, at cap that doesn't matter, since every melee swing will recap your hate. So the more people are hitting it, the more it will spin, regardless of merits or gear or anything else.
    (2)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

  7. #27
    Player Kylei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4
    Character
    Miraie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 95
    DNC has great evasion, I can see SE doing something with DANCING TANKS!
    (0)

  8. #28
    Player Ayanoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5
    Character
    Shoden
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Not at all. Full Enmity merits is just +10% Enmity generation. However, at cap that doesn't matter, since every melee swing will recap your hate. So the more people are hitting it, the more it will spin, regardless of merits or gear or anything else.
    Those are more less due to what I call hate spikes, prime example is you have someone who has not touched the mob at all perform a powerful move and turns the mob. These are what I refer to as huge hate spikes. I simply macro in Hate gear with my provoke, just for these causes.
    (1)

  9. #29
    Player wish12oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    @marnie
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayanoki View Post
    Those are more less due to what I call hate spikes, prime example is you have someone who has not touched the mob at all perform a powerful move and turns the mob. These are what I refer to as huge hate spikes. I simply macro in Hate gear with my provoke, just for these causes.
    If you were at the hate cap before this 'hate spike' from another player it would turn back to you with your next attack. The real secret to ninja tanking, is capping enmity through damage, and attacking faster then anyone else. Provoke is just an initial action you use to pull a mob off someone else who just pulled it or popped it, or to pull with yourself. It's not useful for gaining or keeping hate.
    (4)

    http://www.twitch.tv/wish12oz
    http://www.youtube.com/user/r5n/videos

  10. #30
    Player Arcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San d'Oria
    Posts
    2,753
    Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by wish12oz View Post
    Provoke is just an initial action you use to pull a mob off someone else who just pulled it or popped it, or to pull with yourself. It's not useful for gaining or keeping hate.
    Unless mages pull hate and the mob pulls away. Provoke is instant, running after it to hit it takes time. Which was my point earlier.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tags for this Thread