Thread: NIN Tanking

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayanoki View Post
    Sorry, been playing since NA release around 02? which ROZ came out roughly 03 if I remember right.
    ZM and the NA release are virtualy the same, the expansion existed before we got the game.
    (1)

Character
    Khajit
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Know what gives you back hate faster than that if the DD pulls hate from you in the situation you speak of? Meleeing the mob for another round instead of getting negative enmity.Your CE is capped at that point and all the hate changes is from ve dropping for everyone. What does that mean in the end? It means that the person hitting the fastest is the one maintaining hate overal.
    (4)

Character
    Shoden
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    Know what gives you back hate faster than that if the DD pulls hate from you in the situation you speak of? Meleeing the mob for another round instead of getting negative enmity.Your CE is capped at that point and all the hate changes is from ve dropping for everyone. What does that mean in the end? It means that the person hitting the fastest is the one maintaining hate overal.
    Very true, I have noticed monks thru the ages gave me the most hate problems. Back in the day when hate was more of a challenge.
    (0)

Character
    Nightfyre
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayanoki View Post
    I been ninja tanking roughly 9+ years
    Enmity is a huge thing for building hate, but where it really shines is if you macro it in for PROVOKE.
    Real pro we got here.

Khajit has it right, you'd be better off meleeing. If enmity gear on Voke makes the difference between getting hate back and not, you haven't acted on the mob for at least 30 seconds... or you just got hit with a hate reset, in which case you should be focusing on building CE with damage as opposed to recapping VE fractionally sooner since it'll cap first anyway.
    (4)
    Last edited by Nightfyre; 12-03-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Character
    Tripphacker
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Now, let me get this straight, provoke is useless and you should go into full damage? Okay, I can handle that. Understandable, however why then bother using warrior sub job when in most cases the only reason why you would use it would be for provoke? Either people need to get their stuff right or they need to start rewording things.
    (0)
    BRD/RNG paving the way since lolrdm can't have lolcurev because lolwhm/drg would cry itself to sleep each night.

Character
    Maestrel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Double Attack and Attack bonus, Mostly. (also bersek, that enhance your attack for a mid-long duration, that is it worth using at start, and warcry for e-peen).

You can't profit from others sub that will make you hit less often by triggering a spell or a ja.

You'de better go with a powerfull job trait that'll help keep the hate and damage (aka double attack).

Your WS can benefit from it also.

In a small group, i prefer /dnc, it's brainless, i can go the lazy way, no food, better eva, i can stick with dual katana trial eva+.

Nexxus - Cerberus
    (0)
    Last edited by Cdryik; 12-03-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Berserk and Warcry are worth more than the Attack Bonus trait. And Provoke is useful to get a mob when it's running towards mages/others. You can't attack it quickly if you have to chase behind them. Also, Provoke does, in fact, give good enmity, with some enmity gear provoking gives more hate then the damage you've dealt in that time, especially on any worthwhile content, even more so if you use it strategically (right before another JA or WS, to minimize the delay penalty). And you won't even lose all of it if you have Enmity gear/merits, but only 1800 after 30s. The additional enmity you got will still be there after 30s, in case you use another Provoke.

Having said that, most important enmity during a fight is CE (to hold hate), which is best accumulated by meleeing. Whether or not Provoke is required depends on what you're doing and how the fight goes, but for what it does, it does so very well.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Nightfyre
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Tripp: Because WAR is your best damage sub. I figured that was readily evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    And Provoke is useful to get a mob when it's running towards mages/others.
    This is true, and pretty much the only time I ever use Provoke.

Also, Provoke does, in fact, give good enmity, with some enmity gear provoking gives more hate then the damage you've dealt in that time, especially on any worthwhile content, even more so if you use it strategically (right before another JA or WS, to minimize the delay penalty). And you won't even lose all of it if you have Enmity gear/merits, but only 1800 after 30s. The additional enmity you got will still be there after 30s, in case you use another Provoke.
    However, barring hate resets (which I've already covered) this isn't really the result you'll see in practice. Hate caps, and VE caps very quickly. Chances are the vast majority of that 1800+ VE will go to waste because you'll cap after about 2.5-3k damage assuming neutral enmity. If you're not capped, you should be focusing on building CE as I mentioned previously since it takes longer to cap and you'll naturally accumulate VE in the process.
    (4)
    Last edited by Nightfyre; 12-03-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Character
    Orenwald
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    Wrong on multiple counts.

VE decays at such a rate that the hate from provoke wears off before the animation even finishes. Aka it'suseless Thanks to the 2 second JAdelay you're effectively getting negative emnity.
    I haven't read all the replies yet, I just wanted to point out the 1 flaw in this statement. at +/- 0 enmity it takes 30 seconds to lose the enmity from provoke, so no it's not a negative enmity ability. stop making yourself look stupid. The rest of this wall of text is more or less correct though.
    (0)

Character
    Taruina
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    it sounds like the OP is posting about the oldschool style of tanking...you know, the one that's not effective anymore.
    (0)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast