Thread: DNC tanking

Character
    Browolf
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99

DNC tanking

Don't see many dnc tanking, ppl usually go with thf or nin, but if you can't get those dnc do it good with the right gear.
    what i use is

eva gear
    kila+3 evasion
    parazonium+3 oat2-4

rr, gh, siren shadow atma

between paraz and atma I get a high multi-attack rate with high crit rate
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    The reason why not many DNC tank inside Abyssea is simple - there's better jobs at it.

MNK for blue staggers, NIN for red staggers, WAR for blue and red, THF for TH. That's also why SAM or DRG don't tank, even though they can survive just as well with a WHM and do a lot more damage.

Evasion setup will probably only gimp your damage and not be required, unless you only have non-WHM support (or no support, although then I wouldn't call it tanking, but soloing).
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Anything can tank in abyssea, moving forward the only thing that will be able to tank are heavy DD (with temps) or pld.
    (0)

Character
    Kuroganashi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    DNC is ok but could be better indeed if they made it have more EVA+
    (0)

Character
    Soranika
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 95
    More eva would have been nice, DNC can take hits though with Fan Dance if they do and don't mind not being able to use sambas.
    (0)
    Main Job: SMN95 <Hvergelmir 85 obtained 9/10/11>
    Side Jobs: WHM95 DNC95
    Gimp Jobs: SCH95 NIN95
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimikryo View Post
    If waiting 15 minutes is such an issue to you, I hope you never get stuck in public transport or in an elevator. You probably will go insane.

No Dancer should mind not being able to use Sambas. I personally hate Tanking or gearing for Evasion on my Dancer, but if it comes right down to it, I'll pop Fan Dance and sit there throwing Waltz bombs til we get the main tank back up.
    (1)

Dnc has tons of evasion. evasion is > evasion skill. And we get many tiers of evasion bonus in addition to the merits on closed position. In fact 90% of the time i see DNCs overkilling their eva and killing the mob waaay slower than they should be. When i solo on dnc in aby i almost always wear full DD gear w/ DD atmas.

Sure thf can kill us on max evasion, but what content really needs that much evasion? As said previously dnc also has other tools like fan dance and self cures that greatly improve our tanking ability.
    (0)

Character
    Sappho
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 30
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvinta View Post
    No Dancer should mind not being able to use Sambas. I personally hate Tanking or gearing for Evasion on my Dancer, but if it comes right down to it, I'll pop Fan Dance and sit there throwing Waltz bombs til we get the main tank back up.
    Deadvinta, where'd you get that signature image?
    Pretty cool.
    (0)
    What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
    ~ Elvis Costello

Character
    Sappho
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 30
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Dnc has tons of evasion. evasion is > evasion skill. And we get many tiers of evasion bonus in addition to the merits on closed position. In fact 90% of the time i see DNCs overkilling their eva and killing the mob waaay slower than they should be. When i solo on dnc in aby i almost always wear full DD gear w/ DD atmas.
    There was a huge debate a couple years back that items which gave Evasion Skill (like the Evasion Torque) were superior to items that gave straight Evasion (like the Emperor Hairpin).

Did that debate ever get settled with some solid math?
    (0)
    What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
    ~ Elvis Costello

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    There was a huge debate a couple years back that items which gave Evasion Skill (like the Evasion Torque) were superior to items that gave straight Evasion (like the Emperor Hairpin).

Did that debate ever get settled with some solid math?
    Yes, Evasion skill = Evasion <= 200, after that 1 Evasion skill = 0.9 Evasion. In any case, Evasion > Evasion skill.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast