Character
    Autymn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99

Multiple augmented items

I'm not sure exactly if this should get posted here or in technical support, but here goes. I am curious if there is a way for macros to recognize two different augmented items of the same type; i.e. two Varuna Staves +3, one which has +6 damage and the other with +6 accuracy. As a black mage I would like to get both staves to their full potential, though I don't want to go through all the effort if my macros won't be able to tell the difference between the two and I end up getting damage for my paralyze spells or accuracy when I want damage. If there is not currently a way to do so I really think there should be, not just for my situation, but for anyone else with a similar situation. Thanks
    (0)

Greetings, Autymn!
    Thank you for posting about your curiosity regarding the use of multiple augmented items with macros. Since this matter does not necessarily involve a bug report, I have made sure to move your thread from "In-Game Bugs" to "General Discussion," in order to make sure that your thread is properly seen and discussed. Thanks again for your participation!
    (0)

Character
    Amaday
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I'm not aware of any way to fix this, perhaps the DEV would consider renaming all weapons and staves individually so that this could be done. I used to have a problem on my pdt/mdt set with pld using three dark rings. The good one is -6pdt/mdt dark ring, the other two offered -4 and -5 in their respective fields of mdt and pdt, so I had wanted to be able to swap out the two weaker rings depending on which set i was using, mdt or pdt. But as you know, this didn't work, I would have to keep one ring in my sachel so it wouldn't be equiped and repalce the good ring. Even using the wait command the system would equip both, but wouldn't know which ring to remove when switching to ws set and then to a tp set and back to a pdt or mdt set. my solution was to replace the inferior rings with the AV mdt ring and the jelly ring. Unfortunity, I would have prefered the three dark ring set because they were superior to the set I use now because they had no negitive stats (AV ring has +5 pdt while jelly has +5 mdt, this is the trade off for their corresponding stats)
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincard
    The reason I keep coming back to XI as opposed to other MMOs is because of the content's lastability. While it is true that many pieces are outdated with each patch, to this day there are many old pieces of gear that are still near top-tier if not the top-tier. It encourages you to explore the whole breadth of content rather than asking you to bumrush and bypass all the old content just so you can grind the newer content. This is a model used by other MMOs such as WoW, and while I don't have anything against people that enjoy this model, if I wanted to play an MMO with that model there are many, many games vast superior to XI in terms of mechanics and especially customer service that offer such a model.

Character
    Phraust
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Autymn View Post
    I'm not sure exactly if this should get posted here or in technical support, but here goes. I am curious if there is a way for macros to recognize two different augmented items of the same type; i.e. two Varuna Staves +3, one which has +6 damage and the other with +6 accuracy. As a black mage I would like to get both staves to their full potential, though I don't want to go through all the effort if my macros won't be able to tell the difference between the two and I end up getting damage for my paralyze spells or accuracy when I want damage. If there is not currently a way to do so I really think there should be, not just for my situation, but for anyone else with a similar situation. Thanks
    The best you can do for now is upgrade one just one step below the other, so for instance, do a +2 accuracy staff, and a +3 Damage staff, it's not a perfect fix, but it works. (Upcoming update should let you do +3, and +4 respectively if you had done both to +3 already.)
    (0)
    If you don't understand why Haste is so important, or if you don't think it is:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/1847-Haste-and-You...-A-guide-to-the-misinformed.

Character
    Meyi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Currently the best option you have is putting one in a satchel/sack, depending on the job you're on. If you're planning on having say, the Magic Damage+ and Magic Accuracy+ at the same time for the same job (Black Mage or Red Mage), there's nothing you can do.
    (0)

Character
    Autymn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Devs! We need a solution to this! There's gotta be something we can put in macros to differentiate between augmented items, right? Otherwise why not just have all augmented items be r/ex?
    (0)

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I don't see how they'll do it. Especially when you consider random augment gear from Abyssea like dark rings. I do think they should have took more care(assuming they could)with Magian stuff and gave each upgrade it's unique name tag.
    (0)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Character
    Raijitsu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Well to be fair, each item has a unique code similar to how all mobs have a unique code. There are 20 goblin tinkerers in the dunes, but on the back side, they arent actually all "goblin tinkerers". Think of it more like "Goblin tinkerer_1" ...."Goblin Tinkerer_20".

The way other games have handled this is by letting you click the item/drag the item to add it to a macro. So instead of typing /equip "Varyuna Staff +3" it would be /equip (drop item here) and it would display Varyuna Staff +3 which upon mousing over would show that it is specifically the 8 magic acc one. They are able to do it by virtue of the fact that one staff is "Varyuna Staff +3_1a" and the other is "Varyuna Staff+3_2a"

I know developers probably dont want you to see the code associated with each item, but it is completly doable and other games have ahandled it that are older than FFXI (Everquest for example)
    (0)

Character
    Juilan
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I do see it as a bug, since there is no way to say :
    Indra's Staff +2 [DMG+6]
    and
    Indra's Staff +2[M Acc +6]
    There should really be a way to have multiple pieces of augmented gear in your inventory at the same time, there is no way to swap items in and out of your sack or satchel based on what you're looking for in your macro
    (0)
    I have the final form of Aegis, it has 40 Def Augments Shield bash V and Magic Damage Taken -45%... The ultimate form!