Player

[Scholar] – The way of the Grimoire

This thread is made specifically for ideas. Please keep this in an organized fashion.

Scholar Vision:
    "Students in the art of war who employ stratagems to alter the tide of battle along with elemental magic to support their allies and annihilate their foes."

"We wish for scholars to further their education in order to become absolute masters of their art, and the latter stages of their research will produce skills comparable to those of a white or black mage whose spells may take time to cast, but compensate with both the bliss and destruction they beget."

Here are my thoughts and ideas for Scholar (Some ideas are from known members of forum which I give you people the credit for). Remember they're just ideas, I don't want other jobs complaining about Scholar getting stuff. (I.E. Cure V)

Job Abilities/Traits/Spells

- Modus Veritas – Redirect the ability by reducing the chances of stacking by a set percentage.
    - Conscientia (Enlightenment w/ different latin term) – Optimize light, dark, crimson arts and stratagems for one spell (unlimited stratagems for the spell)
    - Sublimation – should be enhanced with armor upon usage. Armor doesn’t need to stay equipped
    - Libra – Display an alliance based message to party members of enmity. TP, buffs, elemental weakness would be additional information Scholar personal recieves.
    - Grimoire Session – The next stratagem will be increase from single target to area of effect
    - Enlightenment- Refreshes the Scholar with a full amount of stratagems.

-Job Trait - Resist Amnesia (SCH needs this trait b/c we cannot use stratagems w/ amnesia, making us drastically less productive w/ our spell. So at least some resistence would work.)

- Light Arts – White Magic capabilities

• Healing (Yes I’ll agree cure V should be implemented for SCH being that we were on the same tier as WHM at 75 and b/c Regen can get dispelled)
    • Healing spells can be tweaked from weather effect receiver has. (this is a cooked up thought, this can be combined with the eater-effects)
    • Removing status ailments
    • Enhanced Regen Spells (determined by weather effect)
    • Buffering
    • Storm-spells I

- Dark Arts – Dark Magic Capabilities

• Nuking (I-V) – Are good to me so far
    • Helix – Are good to me so far.
    • Klimaform neutral spell castable on allies to enhance regen or magical accuracy on others w/o manifestation / Accession

These spells are offensive spell that must be casted on the enemy for the elemental nuke/dot to take effect.

Example 1: SCH casts Drench(water based spell) on enemy, then SCH casts Thunder V for an bonus amount of damage from the corresponding spell.

• Drench (increases thunder-based magic to target)
    • Oil (Increases fire-based magic to target)
    • Torch (Increases water-based magic to target)
    • Void (Increases dark-based magic to target)
    • Gleam (Increases light-based magic to target)
    • Feeble (Increases wind-based magic to target)
    • Anneal (Increases earth-based magic to target)
    • Chill (Increases ice-based magic to target)

- Crimson Arts – Special Magical/Physical Capabilities with sacrifice of the users HP

• Eater-spells occasionally converts a specific damaging magic element spell, into healing targeted member (the more elemental resistance the party member has the more Eater-spells procs)
    • Storm Spells II
    • “Jinx” (Minimizes enemy TP gain or gradual reduces enemy TP)
    • “Confuse” (Enemy occasionally attacks themselves)
    • “Berserk” (Party member attack is enhanced, however party member is bound and locked into target until effect is removed or wears off.)

Scholar Tabula Rasa
    - The spells Kaustra and Embrava where a good step for new 2hr spells.
    - Embrava is melee type of spell
    - Kaustra is dark based spell

New Tabula Rasa spells
    - Faith (Refresh/Magic.Acc/Magic Atk Bonus)
    - Veil (Elemental Resistance/Damage Taken -)
    - Ultima (Change to light based Nuke)

- Known Q/A

1.) Ultima is non-elemental based.
    - Yes I know Ultima is a non-elemental spell, I state light based damage to balance out Scholar to have both a dark based spell and a light based spell that does very good damage.

2.) What does Conscienta stand for?
    - Its Latin for Knowledge

3.) Eater spell..would that be broken?
    - The eater spell would have the same percentage as the elemental satchets. But, able to be stackable with them.

4.) Confuse is enfeebling and berserk is enhancing.
    - Yes, true these two spells can be for RDM also, I feel that confuse would mostly benefit equally on both sides. With RDM having a higher potency w/ armor and Saboteur.

5.) The spell Faith and Veil..Why?
    - I figured S.E. gave us Embrava which seems like a melee beneficial spell. So i figure why not make a mage and tank beneficial spell also. This way SCH Tabula Rasa can be useful in a Mana or Tank PT also not just DD.

Conclusion: Thank you for reading my thread, please leave a comment of what you think. If you like some spells hit the like button and say what you like. I apologize if I may have typos in my thread.
    (0)

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    i personaly love when people come up with unique ideas for scholar, sometimes theyre awesome and should be implemented, sometimes its just reworded ideas that have been suggested before.

several of your ideas have great merit, but others would be more suited to another job, or have been suggested already.

1. Ultima: has been suggested by just about damn near everyone. i wont be supprised if sch gets this spell with how much people are suggesting it.

2. your jinx spell would be a nice counter to addloquium, i personaly like it.

3.while Faith has been suggested already by others, again ill have to say id be supprised to not see this added to scholars repertoire

4. sadly Veil will never happen, this ability belongs to summoners.

5. confuse would work better if it lengthened Enemy Weapon skill charge time, or caused them to be locked out of AOE weaponskills for a time.

6. your weakens target VS magic type spells, are essentialy single element versions of my suggested Fusion magic spells from another thread. i like your take on it as well tho.

7. i see rdm getting berserk over Scholar unfortunately, and it being rdm only, and not having the self enfeebling side)

8. really like your suggestion for retooling enlightenment, but not. id just make another ability and leave enlightenment the way it is.
    (0)

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    some nice ideas here but i agree with hideka on confuse, would be cool to have it as a double an enemies ability charge time, kinda like a sch version of addle.

berserk will never happen A. it's already a WAR ability, B. an ability that locks an ally would never be put in the game they just cant make an ability that detriments teammates seeing as it could be used for spiting people etc. things like that can only be self target.

i dunno about the whole crimson arts thing, that stuff could easily be split into light arts and dark arts

Drench, oil and all that stuff, thats pretty much what blm's AM II is for, can't see it being given to sch

completely agree sch should get cure V, i hate when people say sch is not a healer cause it really is, it's supposed to be a blm and a whm that can switch between the two strategically so it should be above others to shine as a healer. As it stands all sch has to put it above anyone /whm is rapture

I think enlightenment does need a change, but just to at least to make it activate both light and dark arts at the same time for one spell, whats the point in having access to all our spells if we still need to switch arts to have the skill and grimoire effects (reduced mp cost and cast time) for it?
    (0)
    Last edited by Cabalabob; 11-28-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    they've had the berserk spell in the .dats since 04, undoubtedly they will use it for a spell, and like i said earlier, i think theyre going to use it for redmage melee enhancement magic, because rdm melee is completely underestimated and totaly awesome in the hands of a deticated user. and it might not nececarily be an attack bonus, it could be a fStr modifier increase, or something of the sort.

with the scaling of Cure spells, the potency of Cure 5 will slightly rise, cure 6 will become completely unnececary for the ammount that it heals, and cure4 will rise extremely close to the potency of old cure5. SE expects the enhanced potency and duration ( through perpetuation) will be enough to make scholar an apt healer, and quite frankly i completely agree. i can heal a T4 VWNM kknp as a rdm or a scholar with only C3 C4 and regenspells to back me up. RDM can sit at a static 12tic refresh at all times with no outside assistance (and scholar can hit a 12 tic sublimation with a 3 tic Autorefresh), and can easily get over 600 HP cure 4's with proper cure potency. scholar with a 60+ Tic regen going off every 3 seconds ( which is 1-2 tics between a Cure4) that makes up for the lack of Cure 5.

Note: i can get 500-600 cure 4's with current gear outside of abyssea, what do you think cure 4 is going to do post update with maxed healing magic score and high mind? EXACTLY. i foresee 800-1k Cure 4's from Scholars and red mages in proper gear.

no offense to anyone who dissagrees, Quit the preemptive moaning. let SE do what they want to do, what they envision as being the proper alternative, and then WHEN and IF they mess up; that is when you commence with the moaning untill they see the error of their ways and fix it, or turn their cheek in pure belligerence. the reaction is more then likely based off of how the playerbase approaches the situation.

Dev's are people too ( at least thats what i tell myself so i can sleep at night. knowing my luck they're actually robots sent here from mars to undermine the gaming community with highly addicting games!)
    (1)

Player
    So, my spells have little relation to AMII spells.

My spell directly boost the damage of elemental spells that corresponds w/ the right spell boost.

example: - Cast Oil > All fire based spells/weaponskills/quick draws will get a 5% boost > SCH casts Fire IV for 3000 damage > b/c of the 5% boost the spell would do 3150.

Read What AMII spells do..

Example:
    "Deals lightning damage to an enemy and lowers its resistance against earth."

It only lowers resistence, not give a direct boost to the initial element's weakness.

- Confuse would be a split between RDM and SCH yes I see it mostly RDM but it does fit SCH too.
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Katalsar View Post
    Confuse would be a split between RDM and SCH yes I see it mostly RDM but it does fit SCH too.
    How does it, when SCH's only enfeebles are Sleep and Sleep II? I supposed in theory you could include Dispel. It's like saying SCH should get Holy I, II and so on as it suits them.
    (0)

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Hatcher View Post
    How does it, when SCH's only enfeebles are Sleep and Sleep II? I supposed in theory you could include Dispel.
    and break.
    (0)

Character
    Raksha
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    EDIT: I'm a tard.
    (0)
    Last edited by Raksha; 11-29-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    I want to say that there's a middle ground here but this isn't really middle ground. A lot of old systems were shit. Some new systems aren't much better. What's in the middle of shit and shit? More Shit. So no, I don't want a middle ground. I want something good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Landsoul View Post
    >Twilight Scythe is overpowered that's why we're nerfing it
    >Weapons with double damage compared to relic

LOGIC.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    \m/ (*.*) \m/ "THIS SOLUTION IS THE MOST METAL!" \m/ (*.*) \m/

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99