Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99

Redmage Spells and adjustments

i find that RDM's spell repertoire is severely lacking. the following spells would help round out this job further.

Enspell III's
    These would function like a fusion between T1 enspells and T2 Enspells.
    these can proc on every single hit, however their damage will only scale up once per attack round. the damage cap would be slightly higher on these allowing for a potential of 80-100 maximum damage per swing given proper gear (enspell damage + enhancing, weather ectect). the damage would also scale down based on the number of times Multi attacks are activated in one attack round.
    Example
    1 Atack: no damage penalty
    1 dual wield attack (two swings caused by dualwielding weapons): no damage penalty
    Double attack: No damage penalty
    1 Multi hit attack: damage -50% per swing (2 attacks = 1/2 damage, 4 attacks =1/4th damage so on soforth. this is to prevent 800 damage attack rounds from a Kclub.)

Poisons
    Poisonaga
    Poisonaga II
    Poisonaga III
    Poisonaga IV
    Poison III
    Poison IV
    Poison V
    give us access to these potentially destructive spells, they would be a great asset to Redmage.

Dia & Bio
    Remove Dia III and bio III from redmage merit category II, and change them into Duration & potency Merits

add in as scroll spells
    Bio III
    Bio IV
    Dia III
    Dia IV

Haste II
    Gives the same Attack speed increase as Haste1, however this form of haste Lowers Spell Casting time, and increases Subtle blow.
    every mage will have access to haste next update while subbing rdm. giving rdm haste II will give them more exclusiveness with out breaking them

Gain spells
    What Happened to Gain-INT?
    i saw no mention of it in the update notes.
    Gain-status:
    Gain-Acc
    Gain-attack
    Gain-Macc
    Gain-MAttack
    Gain-Critical
    Gain-Magic Critical

allow RDMs to apply 1 Gain Attribute, and one Gain Status at the same time
    EXAMPLE: Nuking RDM casts Gain Magic Attack, and then casts Gain INT- RDM has the effect of Magic attack boost, and intelligence boost.

these would help bolster RDM as a nuker and a melee DD.

Give RDM a c Skill in Shields. E skill is very LOL for one of the core Shield jobs.

give RDM access to All elemental Sword and dagger skills, were magic fighters for christsake lol

New Job trait.
    Twincast
    10% Chance to instantly recast your last spell.
    Double attack for spells.

New Job ability:
    augmentateur
    Enhances potency of next enhancing magic spell cast by 10%
    60second recast

New Spells:
    Weakness: Lowers Targets resistance to enfeebling magic
    Fortitude: Enhances targets resistance to enfeebling magic
    Phalanx III: self target only, reduces damage taken caps at double Phalanx1 cap.
    Destruct: Increases damage taken from all sources
    (6)

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    thought up a few new Job traits

Mystic Fencer
    Enhances Enspell damage. Increases Magic Attack Bonus and Magic Accuracy when Utilizing a Shield.
    Just a little perk for RDM's who use their shields.

Elemental Bulwark
    Increases elemental Spikes Damage; "spikes": Shield Activation rate Up.
    EXP: Increases Spike damage by 25>50>75>100%, this trait has 4 tiers, and increases shield block rate by 2>6>8>10% when under the effects of a spikes spell. +100% spikes damage, even with maximum enhancing skill, is still only 25-30X2= 50-60 damage spikes.

i truly think in earnest that Spikes and enspells have the potential to make redmage into a most unique damage dealing class. i think that if the devs expanded on these spells ( dosent have to be my ideas nececarily, tho would be cool) that it would help re-define redmage into a true jack of all trades.

i think that redmage could do with an exclusive set of gear that focus's soley on enhancing their melee capabilities

Fencer's Edge R/X
    Sword, One hand
    Damage 57 delay 240
    Enspell damage +10
    Latent effect
    Magic Attack +10
    Attack +15
    RDM

Fencer's Chapeau
    Head, Level 99
    Str+5 Dex+5 Haste +6%
    Spell Intteruption Rate Down 10%
    Enhances Aquaveil Effect

Fencer's tabard
    Body Level 99
    +10 INT +10 STR Store TP+10
    Enhances Spikes Effect (+25% damage)
    Enhances Stoneskin Effect (+50 damage)

Fencer's Gloves
    Hands Level99
    +5% Haste +10 Accuracy
    Enhances Phalanx Effect (+25% of total reduction)
    Augments Enspells ( Lowers Targets resistance to matching enspell element by 2 per swing, a maximum of 30)

Fencer's Tights
    Pants Level 99
    +10 Mind
    +20 Enhancing Magic skill
    -12% enhancing magic casting time
    Enspell damage +15

Fencer's Boots
    +10 Dex +4% haste
    Enhances Fast cast
    Blink casting time -12%
    Enhances Blink Effect
    Enspell Damage +10
    (2)

Character
    Yawaru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 90
    lol bit heavy on the RDM upgrades, sounds like someone's wet dream ;[ Seriously though, RDM is one of the most unloved jobs atm, it really has no place anymore. Debuffs? What are those? I mean you could swing something like a frontline combat mage, but I think BLU already stole RDM's thunder there. They get native refresh, dispel, haste and phalanx now, multiple stuns, spells that cast in less than a second and do massive dmg, what does RDM get? Composure and Enspell IIs that only land on first hit. Enspell IIs are good enough, you don't need IIIs you just need to remove the penalty for multiple hits. Especially when double, triple or even quadruple attack is now available, an Enspell that only lands on first hit is pointless. If you fix Enspell IIs, let RDM cast nukes faster (to the point it'd be worthwhile to cast midfight instead of flat melee) and maybe give some melee-oriented traits and JA, RDM would be more fun and accessible. Some more buffs/debuffs would be nice, maybe Absorb spells!? Heck, that double attack for spells idea isn't bad
    (0)

Player
    Hm, I think the overall idea brings to much to the table with RDM, you're pretty much asking for enfeebles, enhancements, self buffs and anything to make them outshine other mage classes that may have an enhancement better then RDM.

For a quick note RDM already has the unique spells of Addle and Refresh II, and I'll just note Gravity II though it could prove to be useful having 2 gravities to use.

Blind= Mind Break
    Dia= Scorching Light
    Bio= Scorching Darkness
    Dispel= Recall
    Paralyze= Palsy
    Poison= Venom
    Silence= Faithless
    Sleep= Night Terror/Nightmare
    Slow= Time Distortion
    Bind= Halt

Alright so, what I see SE wanting to do with RDM is make enfeeble spells that are unique to RDM but not just higher tier enfeebles. With that in mind I came up with potential names for the following enfeebles.

Mind Break:Same potency as blind but adds an amnesia effect, high recast

Scorching Light:Same effect as dia 2 but lower light/fire/wind/thunder resist

Scorching Darkness:same as Bio 2 but lowers dark/water/ice/earth

Recall:Conjures the incantation of last enhancement foe used(can fail depending on buff)(Grants user with "Recall" effect)

Retrieve:Uses Recalled spell on you or ally (Grants Target with Retrieve, ally can only have one Retrieve effect active if target is cast with Retrieve again it'll overwrite older effect)

Palsy:Paralyze I effect that increased critical hit dmg recieved

Venom:Poison II effect that lowers Att with each DoT(returns to normal upon wearing off)

Faithless:Silence effect that reduces target magic defense drastically(lower duration then Silence)

Night Terror/Nightmare:Single target sleep with DoT(low duration)

Time Distortion:Slow I effect with reduced reaction time aka eva down, decrease
    odds of using TP moves and spells

Halt:Freezes target in tracks all damage dealt to target during this period will not give mob TP

So basically the concept I"m trying to go for is not just higher tiered spells but spells that are actually unique to their counterparts. I tried to create a fine balance between the potency of said spell and it's additional effect. Because of this you'll see that some spells have a lower potency then the higher tier that is offered to RDM. This is so that you are still encouraged to use those effects when needed.

For some examples

-You wouldn't use Scorching Light in a situation of a mob that has a natural high mag def where magic is somewhat useless. Instead you'll use Dia III and get the higher def down effect

-Paralyze II is already a strong effect so making a higher tier would be OPed instead go for a Paralyze I effect that offers increased critical hit dmg taken. Because of this you wouldn't use Palsy in a situation where you are using magic instead you would stick Paralyze II on the mob. But with DD on the mob you may decide to use Palsy to increase the dmg the target takes when they are hit with a critical attack.

-Night Terror/Nightmare is pretty much a copy of Diabolos move but it's only single target with no way to AOE it so it shouldn't' be OPed if coupled with a high recast. With it's low duration it can be used to add a little dmg to a mob to save time as long as said RDM has Sleep and Sleep II rdy once the mob wakes up

-With Time distortion it's the same situation as Paralyze, you can't make the effect stronger without OPing it so instead give it the tier I potency but add the fact that it'll reduce the mobs chance of using TP/spells as well as lower evasion because of it's slowed reaction

---
    But ya, if anything I think RDM should get spells that sound powerful, not just a tier III IV aga III IV and such. The 99 RDM should have spells that say, ya this is how a RDM does it lol. But ya I just thought of this off the top of my head, tried to balance it up as much as possible but I think it would offer RDM a greater range of enfeebles to use since that is what they are known for. It'll make them shine in the ability of specialized enfeebles but at the same time it won't discourage other enfeebles from being used as seen fit based on the situation.
    (0)

Character
    Windblade
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I'd be happy if RDM could have a full spread of elemental weapon skills since there are so many weapon skills RDM cannot use. Along with Burning Blade, add Dirty Blade, Splashing Blade, Tornado Blade, Freezing Blade, Electric Blade.

Added to that, since there are jobs that can solo skillchains, RDM should be able to solo magic bursts by following an elemental weapon skill with a spell with an element strong to the element used in the weapon skill. So following Burning Blade with Water IV would give a magic burst. Or if you use Water IV, followed by Electric Blade, the Electric Blade weapon skill would do a little more damage than usual since the mob would be soaking wet. Maybe even use the restriction of needing another mage subjob to make it work.

It takes RDM a lot longer than most other jobs to kill things.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Airget View Post
    For a quick note RDM already has the unique spells of Addle and Refresh II, and I'll just note Gravity II though it could prove to be useful having 2 gravities to use.
    Addle is not unique. It's available to White Mage as well.

The way I see Red Mage is as a master of enfeebles. That being said, the one direction SE should really go with the job is to flesh out that role and give it more purpose. They have a massive potential for being highly creative here, such as giving them genuinely unique enfeebles (Confuse, Doom, Curse, Zombie, Toad) or creating enemies which will respond directly to a RDM's unique talents, perhaps by giving Red Mage's a Job Trait that allows them to cast enfeebles on targets which are otherwise immune to such effects.

This is a powerful solo job which has been sadly neglected in teams since Abyssea's release for teamplay. There are literally thousands of ideas floating around which would greatly enhance the job without overpowering it or destroying the game balance. SE just needs to be more attentive in listening to them.
    (1)

Character
    Grievor
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I still think, playing as mage or melee rdm, the time for a blink II is at hand, possibly tier III even! Aside from that, a MDB spell could be useful, or possibly something really neat... perhaps a buff that reduces damage taken based on current tp, not straight conversion though mind you. Perhaps something like at 300% tp you take 30% damage, so at 10% tp, you take 1% less damage. Could be a rather fun (and powerful?) Buff to use as DDs if you can cast it upon them can keep some tp to ride out a powerful attack, and follow it with a WS, Dunno, just throwing ideas out there!
    (0)

Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Adding MAB to Enspell damage would be nice. Obviously, we would want it locked in on cast instead of seeing RDMs melee in caster gear. Take a hint from Enspell 2s on how not to make an Enspell.
    (1)
    I'm a RequieSCAT-MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by hideka View Post
    New Job trait.
    Twincast
    10% Chance to instantly recast your last spell.
    Double attack for spells.
    Great idea in theory, but it's a tricky thing to be able to double cast the same spell. Especially in Abyssea. If RDM is the one trying to trigger, and they end up casting the right trigger twice... Does not make for a happy party.
    (0)

Player
    If they end up casting the right trigger twice it wouldn't matter because you can't stagger the mob a second time while it's already staggered.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast