Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99

Vulcan's vs. Jupiter's staff (bow)

Ok this question is for the Gandiva users. I know Vulcan's is better for gun due to fire affinity however my question is this -

Why do so many (if not everyone) I see with Gandiva use Vulcan's over Jupiter's staff?

We are basically looking at +10 R.Attk vs. 15% Crit Hit Rate.

On paper (as I am yet to parse this) Jupiter's with fairly standard gear will increase DPS by about 10%. If we are talking purely overall bonus, vulcan's staff offers (from my terribly rough math) a ~1.3% boost in R.Attk for a lvl 90 RNG (Due to a lvl 90 Hume RNG having about ~820 R.Attk). Yet Jupiter's offers a solid 15% boost in crit hit rate.

So in *theory* Jupiter's is a stupidly overpowering main hand boost compared to Vulcan's..

What am I missing that Vulcan staff users know about?
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Alderin View Post

What am I missing that Vulcan staff users know about?
    That Jupiter's Crit rate affects only the staff.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosina View Post
    wasn't hear when that was added. but still I think gear swaping is stupid. That is my opinion, anfd I have the right to say it. If you care to insult me over my opinion then you just prove how childish you are
    Translation: I'm rubber and you're glue, everything bounces off of me and sticks to you, you noob brat gear swapping elitist soloists.

Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Nevermind! case closed. Cheers for enlightening me.
    (1)

Player
    Oneiros knife and augmented Yataghans are also an option, assuming not /sam and/or using Hasso/TE.
    (0)

Character
    Annahya
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkalinehoe View Post
    That Jupiter's Crit rate affects only the staff.
    Wow - I am fairly new to RNG myself, and was unaware this distinction existed. Is it specific to certain gear, or does Critical Hit Rate never apply to ranged attacks?

I was looking for support for this, but all I could find was a discussion entry on FFXIclopedia stating that it was unlikely that it affected ranged attacks (citing examples of a couple other items).

If this is the case, is it all +CritRate sources, not just gear? When we set RR are we only getting the +CritDamage from it?

Thanks in advance for any answers, clarification or evidence.
    (0)
    "Play the way you want and have a good time - but understand that your performance can have an effect on the fun of others. Be effective for those counting on you, and never lose sight of the fact that enjoyment for yourself and others is the ultimate goal."

Character
    Esor
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    crit rate on weapons only effects that weapon. crit rate on gear is universal, crit dmg on weapons/gear is universal.
    (0)

Character
    Myrrhcat
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by esoR View Post
    crit rate on weapons only effects that weapon. crit rate on gear is universal, crit dmg on weapons/gear is universal.
    Now, if only more Rngs knew and understood this. Would make for a lot less crappy RNGs out there.
    (0)

Character
    Annahya
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by esoR View Post
    Thank you for the answer - and again, I am not disputing this - but is there research I can read about this? I should have been more clear that data is really what I was asking for, as I still cannot find anything explaining the researched distinction - entries in both FFXIclopedia and the BGwiki don't explain it, and I have had little luck locating threads on the subject; though I might be looking in all the wrong places.

Mostly I want to be able to direct people to the data; in small part, I just enjoy reading all that nerdy stuff.

So, to anyone out there, can you provide a link or some direction to research about this?

Trollsclaimer: Restating that it is the case is not necessary - as I have already conceded that I was unaware of the distinction, can comprehend what has been stated, and I am not arguing its existence or truth value.
    (0)
    Last edited by Annahya; 11-03-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    "Play the way you want and have a good time - but understand that your performance can have an effect on the fun of others. Be effective for those counting on you, and never lose sight of the fact that enjoyment for yourself and others is the ultimate goal."

Character
    Esor
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    rng forums on ffxiah are a source. also random question thread on BG (after using search function). there may also be a critical hit rate test thread on bg or AH somewhere. my source of the info comes from knowing how the senj-katana works (ie. not in off hand for ws)
    (0)

Crit damage: Fire some shots at lvl 1 mobs and record criticals. Equip crit damage yatagans, shoot more and record numbers. ranged damage is very consistant, it'll be easy to spot.
    Crit rate: Open parser, fight in an exp party for a while without Thunder Staff, note crit rate. Reset parse, repeat with thunder staff equipped. If it worked it would be very noticible on the parse.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast