Character
    Ogrebattle
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 30

Returning player, what are good subjobs for Samurai?

I'm returning to XI after a long hiatus. Only made it to level 40 or so the last time with samurai.

What subjobs are expected of samurai nowadays?
    Could a samurai/dancer solo through the story content?

I'm interested in completing the story y'see. And killing stuff in parties later on.
    (0)

Warrior for damage, dancer for survival.

almost anything/dnc can solo through most the story content, with the exception of a few fights which might require a bit more healing power, or some sort of crowd control that you can't get with sam/dnc.

If you want to be an even more powerful soloer though, dnc/nin or nin/dnc
    (1)

Character
    Ryce
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    /WAR for best damage and Provoke if needed.
    /DNC for soloing, Campaign, etc. Violent Flourish (stun) is a huge help too at later levels.
    /NIN for if you're just tagging along. I prefer /DNC 9 times out of 10, but if there is plenty of healing in the group, I go /NIN and use my TP for damage.

I wish there were some more exotic choices, but nothing comes to mind. Rarely I'll use /THF if i'm hoping for lootz, but TH2 will only take you so far. /WAR will be a big help if you play SAM in Abyssea, as you can get some important weapon skills on sword, polearm, etc.
    (0)

Character
    Ogrebattle
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 30
    More exotic... like /drg? Hahah. I used it briefly at low levels, it was cool to Jump with a big ol' Katana, or spear.
    (0)

Character
    Dirtyfinger
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    I find any other sub apart from /WAR too much of a drop in dot to be worthwhile, and I'd rather go a different job if I didn't have access to it.

/DNC is ok I guess, but as it's more solo orientated there's far more better jobs to 'solo' on.
    (1)
    Last edited by Dirtyfinger; 11-26-2011 at 03:20 PM.
    There is more to FFXI than Abyssea.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    /DRG used to be good when capping Haste was still an issue, which is not really the case anymore. /WAR pretty much all the way, and /DNC to solo. /THF is actually good for farming, if it's low level mobs and you don't require much healing, or are just after one specific item. TH2 is actually a great jump from TH0, more so than from TH2 to TH10. That's why this combination actually works quite well.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

I use:

Warrior = For Max Damage.
    Dancer = Mainly for Campaign, solo, Dynamis Proc.
    Ninja = Before DNC was out this was My choice sub, when mages complain about thier mana pool. Or when I am force to tank. I still use it from time to time.

Dragoon = With a Wyvern earring, polearm and My Usukane set, I use to burn through colibris. If I was lucky a BRD & RDM is present to push Me further [Double March/ Haste]

Thief = I never like this sub, but if You're the only TH or the Tank needed enmity then its a must on your part. The spike damage is impressive, but still I am not a fan of this sub.

Ranger = Soboro Sukeshiro; Relic & AF3 Set. This is approach is considered outdate for some. I enjoyed spaming sidewinder, when it landed. Perhaps one day it will be brought back to the forefront.

All in all, when it comes to selecting a subjob it depends upon what You're after:

Damage, Survival, utility, or fun factor.
    (0)

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Fun-factors all the way!
    (0)