Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Foxtrot
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 90

Race specific merits c.c?

I'd love some race specific merits <.< anyone else?

ex. taru hp upgrades, galka mp, & other races get a certain # of points allotted in categories to even out across the board.

Personally I'd love this- didn't really have an idea on how far the stat difference would be when I made my char 6 years ago lol
    (1)

Character
    Symbiote
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    COR Lv 95
    I would rather see the opposite in terms of stats.

Galka getting more HP/STR, Taru getting more MP/INT, Mithra getting more AGI/DEX, Elvaan getting more MND.

I would like to see more incentive for people to play the race of their desired job. I am a Mithra COR and I can never get enough AGI.
    (1)

Character
    Foxtrot
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 90
    ^that would really pigeon hole you on your char <-> job. Galka tank with 400-600 more hp than any other race or... hm easy choice. It's nice to play other jobs and still be viable lol
    (1)

Character
    Symbiote
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    COR Lv 95
    Having merits to enhance your char isn't about locking you into one thing. It is about bringing out the best in each char.

With that said, why not enhance chars more that play the respective jobs that they were designed to be on? Sure, you can play a Galka mage or Taru DD if you want to. However, this game has certain aspects that were designed to be a specific way. Why not reward those who so choose to play that way?

Play as you want. I wouldn't mind having a little extra incentive to having the correct (according to the games design) race/job combo.
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    The problem is that there is nothing wrong with playing a Galka mage (in fact, the worst race combo for mages tends to be Elvaan actually, since they have low INT and MP), since there is not only plenty of HP -> MP gear, but more importantly, there is tons of Refresh sources available. Having a lower HP pool on the other hand permanently hurts you. I could be mistaken, but SE fixed the Galka's low MP pool in regard to stuff like not being able to cast Raise as a Paladin, but Tarutaru HP is now starting to hold them back more and more.

I always liked that race choices were more of a flavor then anything else in FFXI (sure you could get a pretty good edge by optimizing, but it has always been possible to play any job) and I'd like to see that trend continue.
    (0)

Character
    Foxtrot
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 90
    Symbiote- "I would like to see more incentive for people to play the race of their desired job."

That's great and all but some people like to play more than one job- or even the few jobs that a certain race might "excel" at. The game has been out ~9 years. You can obviously change jobs but can't exactly switch races based on event/mob/job.

I'm not too sure what you mean by "correct" and "designed" in reference to character and job. It doesn't seem like SE had too keen of an idea about the game themselves when it came out. A good example being much of the af/relic armor & the massive amount of relatively stat-less & therefore useless equip in the game. It took ~9 years to get af with beneficial job stats? (yes there are some select exceptions)

I'm guessing you haven't done much void watch tier IV (or even some III) and had to be within meele range. If you don't have at least ~1.5k hp there's a good chance of being one shot'd even in -dmg gear. Abyssea is... well you have to TRY to mess up there & the hp boost inside somewhat evens things out to an extent unless you have an afk whm.
    (1)

Character
    Symbiote
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    COR Lv 95
    You aren't understanding or even really trying to. So, I will just leave it at that. Why do I even post on these forums?
    (0)

Character
    Foxtrot
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 90
    Understanding =/= agreeing.
    (1)

Character
    Aramaru
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 41
    I'll concur with the OP and agree that, if racial merits were implemented, it'd be best if they shored up a race's weaknesses rather then their strengths, because it would make the gap between races even larger rather then smaller, and could otherwise cause some severe imbalance issues. Not to mention stuff you get in other MMOs and sometimes in XI, where playing the 'wrong' race for your job means no invites to anything..

If such a thing were done, it'd actually be a unique thing for Humes for once, since they're pretty much even at everything, but would be dealing with the same cap limits as everyone else.. hmm.. that could be why they haven't done it..
    (0)

Character
    Liedilzhen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    My two cents on racial merits would be more along the lines of...

Mithras-
    Increase in stat gain/boost from eating raw fsh
    Increase in movement speed (maybe 5% per point?)

Galka-
    Increase in stat gain/boost from eating Raw meats
    Decrease Movement Speed increase Def or hp?

Hume-
    Various merits to focus them on one job type (physical/magic/rng/agi based)
    Or a boost when useing weapons with complicated mechinisms (IE. guns... crossbows)

Elvaan-
    Boost in crafting rates
    Boost when useing crafted equipments

Taru-
    Doublecast :P (im a hume)
    Or when 2 or more tarus are in a party they get some bonuses(like an extra 2% dmg to spells per point)

Anyway the point would be less on stats (which we already have stat merits) and job abilities (enless there gonna and a group 3 merits...never mind how unfair it would be) and should focus more on expanding a Races natural talents or in story abilities.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast