Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

ps2 Server must die soo we can live

Dear Square enix It is time too STEP UP your game there is alot of NEW MMO games coming out the Market that might kill ffxi.

What i am saying is I hate too see FFXI Vanish Due too Ps2 Limitation.

Think about it this game has alot of potential too become better than what it is, due your self a favor and just Remove ps2 Servers.

A) You will bring more Customers That want too buy ffxi since you will proably make alot of new content that people will be curious too play this game.

B)Give PS2 Players(6 month NOTICE) ahead of time too upgrade there units too PC OR XBOX360 + reward those players by doing so a free ffxi game item.

C) It's 2011 they will understand.
    (9)

Most new features being released for the FFXI UI are 360/PC exclusive.

It's pretty obvious that they're content to leave PS2 players where they are and upgrade the other clients bit by bit. It's just difficult to do when the game is coded for the PS2 and then given a windows/360 wrapper.
    (8)

I just wish they would say something regarding this for once.
    I wonder how that poll turned out?
    (1)

Character
    Soranika
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 95
    PS2 server.... There's a server dedicated to PS2?
    (6)
    Main Job: SMN95 <Hvergelmir 85 obtained 9/10/11>
    Side Jobs: WHM95 DNC95
    Gimp Jobs: SCH95 NIN95
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimikryo View Post
    If waiting 15 minutes is such an issue to you, I hope you never get stuck in public transport or in an elevator. You probably will go insane.

Character
    Morgantis
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 95
    The dev team stated that new areas and stuff are not limited by Ps2 so this thread is a repeat of all ps2 related stuff. I am on SE side with this if they made the product for ps2 I would stand by it regardless if you cant buy or find disks for it. I myself use 360, ps2 and pc. Plus know many people who use ps2.
    Plus we dont need what system you use affliation reminds me of racial profiling ..... YOu all on 360 over here ... you all on pc over here... and you all on ps2 well u get to go to this island ... Just saying. We all play the game it is our option what we play on what conusil. If certain options are made for 360 or pc and not ps2 thats fine but trying to oust ppl because our ps2 still works or force us to quit or go somewhere is simply wrong.
    (6)

You realized that FFXI is structured around PS2 architecture. To improve the game SE would not only have to drop PS2 but recode a large part of the game. They said before that doing something like this would be like making a whole new game and they didn't want to do it.
    (6)

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    Should drop PS2 out of principle. PS2 players are like beggars holding on to your ankle not letting you move forward.

Best way to deal with them is to kick them off!
    (10)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    You realized that FFXI is structured around PS2 architecture. To improve the game SE would not only have to drop PS2 but recode a large part of the game. They said before that doing something like this would be like making a whole new game and they didn't want to do it.
    They also said that making a PS3 version would be "too hard". Yet somehow porting FFX to the PS3 is not "too hard" despite being based on an earlier revision of the same graphics code.

I'm not so sure that the game is as tied to the PS2 as people think, most applications that use wrapper classes to work with specific platforms are fairly agnostic about what platform they're running on except for the wrapper code. I think the real problem with FFXI isn't that they're using a wrapper, it's that their wrapper is slow and inefficient. Consider that DirectX 8's fixed function pixel and vertex shaders (Shader Model 1.0) are much less powerful and flexible than the PS2's vector units. It's likely that they had to replace some of the code that used the VU's on the PS2 with software on the PC because Shader Model 1.0 wasn't able to duplicate the functionality of the PS2's VU's (FFXI does use Shader Model 1.0 for something though). A new wrapper written for DirectX 9 and Shader Model 3.0 wouldn't have that problem.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    Most new features being released for the FFXI UI are 360/PC exclusive.

It's pretty obvious that they're content to leave PS2 players where they are and upgrade the other clients bit by bit. It's just difficult to do when the game is coded for the PS2 and then given a windows/360 wrapper.
    All the more reason for them to get off their asses and start the arduous process of recoding stuff now, rather than later.
    (3)

Character
    Joleen
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    These threads, posts and the odd signature still make me chuckle. Dropping the PS2, if SE ever would do it, would accomplish very little. Some folks seem to think SE would wave some magical wand and create a whole new game if they just sever this PS2 cancer......wishful thinking. Adding a few token changes to the menu or whatever is about the only thing you'll see with or without the ps2. Even though SE loves to rehash their flagship title (Final Fantasy) I'd say there's a snowball's chance in hell they're going to totally recode this game (or half recode) for the current clients, with off chance they might snag a few new customers here and there.

Trying to get new zones (reskinned or otherwise), abilities and spells is like pulling teeth, and people are dreaming of a totally new game? It's not ps2 limitations, its dev-team limitations, which basically point towards financial limitations (from current low client base, or siphoning off for FFXIV) Atomic_Skull kinda makes it sound like SE could make the pc version much prettier without having to deal with ps2/xbox, and they haven't/won't right?

Now i have a ps2 and a laptop i run 2 characters with. If they dropped ps2 support i wouldn't bat an eye and find another way to run my 2nd character, so i'm not defending ps2 out of bias. I'm just saying this dead horse has been beaten pretty bad, and people are delusional if they think this one thing will help ffxi rise like a phoenix.....maybe i'm just pessimistic.
    (12)
    The Doctor Said I Wouldn't Have So Many Nosebleeds If I Kept My Finger Outta There

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast