Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Player
    No, I did mean it was a relatively larger increase in TP gain for pets because they gain TP slowly compared to a competent player. That increase is often irrelevant because timers limit all pet's TP usage except for Puppets, so I was basically trying to make a joke.
    (0)

Well, It could actually be nicer for Avatars, As the benefits they gain from TP on magical BP's is pretty lovely. Though It wouldn't much matter if you had 5/5 merits and the TP bonus Callers piece, which essentially gives your pet ~240%TP at 0%(ir i remember right)... But it could still have some potential uses in Avatars.
    (0)

While I admit that Companion's roll has situational uses, I can't recall the last time I saw a BST running around with a COR at his side. If he has a Duo partner, its always another BST.
    Personally I've never been approached by a BST to come give them Pet rolls. The only time I've ever been in a Pet party at all was a SMN burn of Fenrir back in the day to get my Fenrir's earring. So unless I'm not seeing what's going on in the BST, SMN, PUP, DRG world these days, I can't see Companion's roll getting a ton of use except for a tiny minute fraction of players.
    (0)
    Yo Ho Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me!

Character
    Capuchin
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Yinnyth View Post
    Unless they significantly improve the power of the pets, I still think cor+bst duo would be better off with regain on themselves than regain on the pet. That's the fundamental flaw of the pet rolls. Situations in which the pet is more active than the master are so rare that the pet rolls are a poor choice 99.99% of the time. I suppose if the upcoming roll is strong enough, it could find a use in duo situations where a pup is using sharpshot frame since the regen gets its HP back up after deus ex automata, and regain lets it spam WSs, but I'm thinking like 20/tick regen and 5/tick regain on jackpot to count.
    I agree that in many cases it's better to simply buff the master than the pet. In fact, as a longtime PUP main I wouldn't want regain on my automaton (over a buff on myself) even though Sharpshot does focus heavily on WS. I'd much rather get buffs to myself in any situation where I was hitting the mob, and if I'm using Sharpshot I'm going to be hitting the mob. MAYBE I'd have to think about it harder if the pet Regain was significantly MORE than the regain players get from Tactician's (I'm talking like twice as much pet regain as Tactician's gives players). Otherwise, as a PUP it would be a no-brainer - I'd rather have Tactician's, Chaos, Blitzer's, Fighter's, Rogue's over any pet rolls.

I would expect a BST would have similar feelings in situations where they can get in and melee without fear.

BST pet tanking is the one case where I would be cautious of that - on harder targets you might want to take care to not pull hate off a tanking pet, so putting regain on the players for more WS isn't necessarily going to help and can actually mess up a strategy if hate starts bouncing around. I'd rather help the pet tank better with regen/regain, and pair with Beast Roll to do more pet damage. I speak from experience, as I actually have BST friends who I've sometimes come out to help as they solo or BST duo. I realize this isn't a frequent situation for most CORs, but these pet rolls do have their place occasionally for some CORs.

And one other caveat, S-E seems intent on improving PUP's ability to use their pet (Valoredge frame in particular) to tank. It's not there yet, but we may see Valoredge tanking in the near future much like a typical BST pet-tank strategy. In that case, as a PUP I might indeed be more interested in having Companion's roll on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Well, It could actually be nicer for Avatars, As the benefits they gain from TP on magical BP's is pretty lovely. Though It wouldn't much matter if you had 5/5 merits and the TP bonus Callers piece, which essentially gives your pet ~240%TP at 0%(ir i remember right)... But it could still have some potential uses in Avatars.
    Even if you were doing a totally avatar-focused strategy, I'd generally rather use Drachen if the SMN is using any magical BPs at all, Beast Roll for straight up pet attack, and Evoker's with 100% job bonus if outside Abyssea. So it would be REALLY situational on SMNs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirabelle View Post
    While I admit that Companion's roll has situational uses, I can't recall the last time I saw a BST running around with a COR at his side. If he has a Duo partner, its always another BST.
    Personally I've never been approached by a BST to come give them Pet rolls.
    Depends on the player and the jobs your friends have. I have some friends who like to solo/duo stuff on BST, and occasionally I'll hang out with them on COR. Nice to give them something that helps their strategy, even if it's not a frequent situation I find myself in on COR. I completely get that some CORs don't know any BSTs and will NEVER run into this - in that case, you don't have to buy the die.

And I agree that if you were dead set on a frequent duo/trio partner for a BST, a COR probably isn't the first job you'd pick. More BSTs usually pair well together. But if you just occasionally go out with a BST friend or two, nice to have a couple buffs for their pets.
    (0)
    Last edited by Anza; 08-30-2011 at 03:58 AM.

Even if you were doing a totally avatar-focused strategy, I'd generally rather use Drachen if the SMN is using any magical BPs at all, Beast Roll for straight up pet attack, and Evoker's with 100% job bonus if outside Abyssea. So it would be REALLY situational on SMNs.
    Well, If we wanna talk ideal situations, no good SMN Should need Evoker's at this point, in or out of Abyssea, Avatars can be free with refresh back realistically. So MP Should not be an issue. Would it help? yah, But its not needed and if your goal is damage, the new roll will win.

MAB roll + the Regain one would be the best combo for over-all magical damage from BPs. But yah, It is rather situational. Like most everything in the game.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Trellosaurus View Post
    I've been corsair a long time and have always been very jealous of Pianissimo. I had an idea about a COR version of the ability. Maybe a mini-roll that rolls 1-6 like Wild Card but only affects one target and grants a job-specific bonus to the target, so you wouldnt have to get a new roll for each job again just the one roll but it has different effects based on the job of the target. For example... like if you have a PLD mixed into the melee and he isnt benefiting from the DD rolls you have on your knuckleheads with the big swords. You could roll this single target roll on your pld and say for example the effect for PLD is damage mitigation like phalanx and VOILA! your pld now has a relevant roll that hasnt messed up your rotation or created a tide of gripes and complaints from the melee department.

I'd rather see a peice of gear like the Luzaf's ring but with the opposite effect. Narrows the range of phantom roll area of effect. Maybe to 2-3 yalms so we can stand right next to the person and give them a roll with limited risk. SE has already said painissimo would be tough to implement with how doubling up works, But if they can program Luzaf's ring they can program an anti-Luzaf's ring.
    (2)

Depends on the player and the jobs your friends have. I have some friends who like to solo/duo stuff on BST, and occasionally I'll hang out with them on COR. Nice to give them something that helps their strategy, even if it's not a frequent situation I find myself in on COR. I completely get that some CORs don't know any BSTs and will NEVER run into this - in that case, you don't have to buy the die.
    I'm not saying I don't have any BST friends. I have plenty of LS mates that play BST (and never ask me to bring out my COR). I've never even see a BST and COR paired together, anywhere, at any time in all of Vanadiel. So its situational use has to be at the extreme low end.
    (0)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6