Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Nah.

The Devs very clearly designed the game with the concept of switching jobs to suit your situation in mind.
    Um, yeah, that's what I said, you just used different words.

Okay, go switch to them." The game is designed around the skill of the player and the ability to tactically discern what jobs fit what roles best in any particular situation.
    The problem here is, at least according to the elitist fanbase, there are several jobs that virtually never are tactically discerned to be what fits best in a particular situation. If you don't tihnk that's a problem, then you'd be wrong.

There is no "I want to come Summoner to everything" for them. It's, "What jobs work best here? Okay, go switch to them."
    I agree with this. I'm also a firm believer that one or more parts of various content should have <insert job here> in the "what jobs work best here?"

Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Four or five bandwagon jobs are used for almost everything, no matter what the dev team designs them for.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    The problem here is, at least according to the elitist fanbase, there are several jobs that virtually never are tactically discerned to be what fits best in a particular situation. If you don't tihnk that's a problem, then you'd be wrong.
    You keep using this term. You keep bringing up these strawmen elitists. How about you figure out what jobs fill what roles well, objectively, and stop giving so many shits about what this perceived community thinks. I say perceived, because you would be damned surprised if you knew how tolerant and diverse the vast majority of BG is these days. The real elite players on there don't ostracize jobs for the sake of ostracizing jobs. When Summoner is ideal for something, these people use Summoner.

You care far too much about, what exactly? Your ability to join pickup parties? Play with friends and/or smart players for a week and you'll see just how sad this "oh noes elitist fascism" bullcrap is.

Edit: And as for bandwagons, blame casual content. I dare you to show me all these bandwagoners blitzing through Voidwatch Part 2 on bandwagon jobs.

When you design content such that a group of 18 orangutans of literally any job combination could win, no shit will people burn it down to its most efficient core. Diversity requires interesting, engaging, challenging content.

You don't need to sit around and tell everyone how "good" some C-string job can be in the hands of a good player. All of us "Elitist jerks" already know, because we have friends who come on those C-string jobs regularly and who could still demolish the vast majority of their "Supporters" on these forums. No shit, a good Blu can be really damn good. I know some really damn good BLUs. Point is, most people are not good at FFXI. And you know what happens when people are straight up not good at FFXI? They flock towards the biggest damn crutch they can find. There's your bandwagon. Quit blaming "Elitist Jerks" for bandwagon jobs. We don't tell you jack shit. People take flocks of shitty Monks to Abyssea because they'd wipe even worse on other jobs.
    (10)
    Last edited by Greatguardian; 11-06-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Character
    Colliex
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    Nah.

The Devs very clearly designed the game with the concept of switching jobs to suit your situation in mind. There is no "I want to come Summoner to everything" for them. It's, "What jobs work best here? Okay, go switch to them." The game is designed around the skill of the player and the ability to tactically discern what jobs fit what roles best in any particular situation. There is no need to separate player skill and job choice because they're meant to be the same thing. Good players know that they should come Warrior, Ninja, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, or Blue Mage to Abyssea.

All jobs have some role, somewhere. It is not the Dev's fault, or anyone's fault, if a certain community chooses not to value what things that certain jobs are good at. I really do not give a shit about PUP's solo ability, because I don't need to solo anything. Summoner? Same thing. It is absolutely worthless to me because I choose not to assign value to those things that it is good at.

I'd really like an example of a fight that is very clearly designed to be handled with off-jobs that the "elitist community" (by this do you mean BG? Or who? I don't even know who this is supposed to mean) beats with Monks and tells everyone else to take Monks to, though.

I'll tell you right now, though, I definitely don't bring my Monk to everything.
    Um...right...guy whatever you say
    (0)

Character
    Snk
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Urteil View Post
    If Scholar can solo Shinryuu on the Test server without a brew.

And besides that extreme example we have:

Chainspell
    Hundredfists
    Meiko-Kill-Everything

How can the dev's even consider Blood Weapon a two hour, and are there any chances to at the very least, extend the duration?

Or something? Damage multiplier. I mean at its best its a 10 minute ability.

Tabula Rasa lasts three minutes now, and I certainly can't go solo him with Blood Weapon.

I suppose the good news is that we can only go up from here because of how absolutley terrible it is.

*Oh and make perfect dodge, dodge ranged attacks, that's stupid.
    *facepalm...

Same rehashed complaints over and over and over and over and over.

Just stop it already...
    (7)
    Last edited by SNK; 11-06-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Player
    The way to fix Blood Weapon... remove DRK from K Club and Octave Club. Then un-gimp BW on the NMs that they gimped it on (like AV that was mentioned). Price will drop on K club, and rise on merc Kris, but that's not the end of the world. People might even try to get a ridill again.
    If multi-hit weapons are the reason for the nerf, then the most reasonable solution would be to simply have BW only activate on the first swing of multi-hit weapons, however BW should still stack with Double Attack, Triple Attack, and Quad Attack. I'm not a dark but as a pld i can relate to drks when SE decided to delete the Atonement ws.
    (1)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    It is in the sense it's crap like most 2-hours.
    (1)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    Nah.

The Devs very clearly designed the game with the concept of switching jobs to suit your situation in mind. There is no "I want to come Summoner to everything" for them. It's, "What jobs work best here? Okay, go switch to them."

One problem with this though is they will stick gear for a certain job in an event where that job is not useful or welcome. I know SMN is probably an extreme example, but hell if anyone wanted my SMN for Dynamis or Salvage where a great deal of a SMN's most useful gear came from.

Maybe it's fine for you, but leveling 2 or 3 jobs to level cap just to gear the one you really love isn't necessarily fun for everyone. You remember fun right? Especially since once you level those other jobs you more than likely won't be getting to play your actual favorite anymore through any high-end content. You can play dress up in the MH, but I'm pretty sure that's not what most people have in mind when it comes to gearing their favorite job. That's been the history of FFXI as I have seen it. Yes, things have improved in that regard with newer events, and I hope they continue to do so.

But any future events need to be more inclusive of various jobs, not exclusive. Does it really make people happy when certain jobs are deemed "lol?" Wait.. don't answer that, it probably does. Would it really upset anyone if DRK was brought up to par and became interchangeable in its own unique way with other DDs?
    (4)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The real elite players on there don't ostracize jobs for the sake of ostracizing jobs.
    Yet you seem to find it to be perfectly fine that <insert unpopular job here> isn't judged to be viable for all but one or two special cases.

It is absolutely worthless to me because I choose not to assign value to those things that it is good at.
    This is a problem, though apparently you don't seem to feel it is. If you don't feel you can "assign value" to things something is "good" at, then it needs to be adjusted until you CAN assign some value to it. Pet jobs in general are not meant to be just a solo crutch for less-than-pros or people who have no friends. If you can't find something relevant to you that a job is good at, then either something needs to be added which it IS good at, or the job needs to be adjusted until it IS good at something.

One problem with this though is they will stick gear for a certain job in an event where that job is not useful or welcome.
    I really agree with this. I find it to be common that a player wants to earn gear for a job ON that job. After all, if there is a reward for <job> in a particular fight or event, it stands to reason that the particular job should be able to be effective in order to obtain it. In general, the player isn't going to be happy if they find that everyone demands that they level up <insert other job here> in order to obtain gear for the job they're best at, only to not be able to use it again in the next time this situation comes up...
    The way your post comes across doesn't do much to alter my perception of this "percieved" community. While you do have a more level head than much of the community you seem to be trying to represent, and i often agree with some things you say, it amazes me that you still find no problem of balance here.
    (3)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-07-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Character
    Nynja
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    I know SMN is probably an extreme example, but hell if anyone wanted my SMN for Dynamis or Salvage where a great deal of a SMN's most useful gear came from.
    what?
    Dynamis I agree with, as their AF2 is the best all around AF2 in the game...Salvage?
    (0)

I guess all of those years that we had people come White Mage to sky, sea, and Limbus we were doing it wrong, because White Mage doesn't get anything of value from any of those zones.

Everyone should have just showed up PLD, DRK, and THF whenever we did Apollyon so that they could earn their Homam on the jobs that could use it.

Christ, the fallacy is strong with these ones. You don't want Everyone to be able to get gear on the job that uses it, you want Pet Jobs or You, personally to be able to get gear on the job that uses it. You know damn well that if everyone tried to do that, the game would implode because that's simply not how any of this was designed. You don't show up Summoner to try and get Summoner equipment. You kill things, and then you change jobs in your Mog House when you want to equip the gear you just got.

I'm really starting to get tired of this "We are forced to level these jobs" trope that people keep throwing around. I know damn well that it existed years ago, but I don't see any shells worth a damn doing it now. Of course, plenty of mid-tier "I think I'm way cooler than I really am" type linkshells still have crap like that, but it will absolutely always be the case that the nuveau riche are a few years behind the real elite in terms of style.

People shouldn't need to tell you to go level Ninja if you want to farm Empyreans. You have a conscious choice between doing things quickly, and doing things poorly/slowly. If you want to make things harder on yourself and those who are there with you, none of us are going to stop you - just sit back and wonder if your playing Summoner is worth wasting so much of your friends time.
    (6)

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast