Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    If a job has a problem, that problem should be fixed. The solution to that problem shouldn't be "play a job that doesn't suck as bad."
    (10)

Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    One major problem with FFXI is this seems to be a serious answer to any imbalances.
    Except this is how FFXI was designed to be played.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    Except this is how FFXI was designed to be played.
    No, it's not. It's how Elitists want it to be played. They want the jobs they bandwagoned to stay the all-around best for everything and just ignore all the other ones.

It's in an elitists nature to play whatever jobs are viewed as the most powerful. We shouldn't be looking at <insert job here> and saying it sucks. They should be balanced. Saying <insert job here> is useful for this one fight that no one does is not justificaiton for things to remain the way they are. This applies to all jobs that are currently not in the spotlight, not any one in particular.

All jobs should have something they are valued for. There are several jobs whom the elitist community doesn't really value for anything, except possibly a voidwatch NM proc. And even then, the job isn't being valued for anything it does in particular.

Even if they specifically designed a particular encounter to be beaten by a party consisting of a BST, PUP, DNC, RDM, PLD and RNG, the elitist community would find a way to beat it with a few MNKs and a white mage and then tell the rest of the players that they must use these jobs to win.

You once said that the dev team specifically designs fights for particular job combinations to be the most effective. I wholly agree with that. It's only a problem when the current bandwagon jobs are still better even when the dev team built the encounter for other jobs.
    (9)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-06-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Character
    Nynja
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    One major problem with FFXI is this seems to be a serious answer to any imbalances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    If a job has a problem, that problem should be fixed. The solution to that problem shouldn't be "play a job that doesn't suck as bad."
    http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Phoenix/Urteil

He has ONE job leveled...

No, it's not. It's how Elitists want it to be played. They want the jobs they bandwagoned to stay the all-around best for everything and just ignore all the other ones.
    If you werent meant to have multiple jobs leveled, then FFXI would be like WoW where you can only play one class per character.
    (3)

Character
    Colliex
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nynja View Post

If you werent meant to have multiple jobs leveled, then FFXI would be like WoW where you can only play one class per character.
    So what if he deos have one job leveled, what does that have to do with anything? Blood Weapon still need to be fixed, stating that he has one job leveled is irrelevant.
    (3)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    It's an optional feature, not a requirement. You have THE CHOICE to level all 20 jobs on a single character. You can also choose to level only one (Yes I know people need their subjobs). It's for the sake of convenience.

It should not, in ANY way be used as a reason or excuse for game play imbalances. Each job should be treated as though it is the only job a person might want to play within its primary role or multiple roles when dealing with hybrids. Every job should have a place in whatever event a person might want to participate in.

And no, they don't all have to end up the same job. They CAN play differently and still arrive at the same or closely similar results. It just takes a bit of imagination and ingenuity from the players and SE.
    (3)

Character
    Nynja
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    If you looked at his posts on the boards, he emos EVERYWHERE about drk.

I emo everywhere too, but its about actual problems...not "WAH I LOVE DRK AND YOU MAKE IT SUCK U SUK SE".
    (3)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

My last post wasn't really directed at Urteil. I fully agree that we're meant to take advantage of multiple jobs. Provided that you've done so, one or more of them should be desireable for a given event. All jobs that can be feasably fit into a particular role archetype should be competitive in that archetype. E.g. each job with an innate ability to heal (coming from the main job) should be able to be used when a healer is required. Each job who uses weapons for doing damage should be able to be useable when a melee damage dealer is needed. etcetera... SE didn't design the game with 20 jobs so that only 5 of them would ever be practical for your typical new content. Individual fights are each directed at various party makeups, but a whole new event with many fights / things to do should have something within them that each job can be considered useful for.

As far as DRK is concerned specifically, I think a lot of people would agree it's not up to par as far as its ability to do damage. DRK's current 2 hour is made for survival (though it lasts far too short to be useful, considering how slow 2H weapons are). DRK indeed does need some love, though not being a dedicated DRK, I won't claim to have an ideal way to improve it.

Perhaps the new merited 2-hour will be more offense-oriented.
    (7)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-06-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Character
    Spiritreaver
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamasala View Post
    I'd assume it is same stupidity as with spirits.

If your 2 hour sucks (like spirits) it is a waste to update it since the time could be put on something that already works and make it better.

Observe that it isn't me that thinks this way, it is half the player base and developers.
    The Prophets still got you down?
    (0)

It's in an elitists nature to play whatever jobs are viewed as the most powerful. We shouldn't be looking at <insert job here> and saying it sucks. They should be balanced. Saying <insert job here> is useful for this one fight that no one does is not justificaiton for things to remain the way they are. This applies to all jobs that are currently not in the spotlight, not any one in particular.

All jobs should have something they are valued for. There are several jobs whom the elitist community doesn't really value for anything, except possibly a voidwatch NM proc. And even then, the job isn't being valued for anything it does in particular.

Even if they specifically designed a particular encounter to be beaten by a party consisting of a BST, PUP, DNC, RDM, PLD and RNG, the elitist community would find a way to beat it with a few MNKs and a white mage and then tell the rest of the players that they must use these jobs to win.

You once said that the dev team specifically designs fights for particular job combinations to be the most effective. I wholly agree with that. It's only a problem when the current bandwagon jobs are still better even when the dev team built the encounter for other jobs.
    Nah.

The Devs very clearly designed the game with the concept of switching jobs to suit your situation in mind. There is no "I want to come Summoner to everything" for them. It's, "What jobs work best here? Okay, go switch to them." The game is designed around the skill of the player and the ability to tactically discern what jobs fit what roles best in any particular situation. There is no need to separate player skill and job choice because they're meant to be the same thing. Good players know that they should come Warrior, Ninja, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, or Blue Mage to Abyssea.

All jobs have some role, somewhere. It is not the Dev's fault, or anyone's fault, if a certain community chooses not to value what things that certain jobs are good at. I really do not give a shit about PUP's solo ability, because I don't need to solo anything. Summoner? Same thing. It is absolutely worthless to me because I choose not to assign value to those things that it is good at.

I'd really like an example of a fight that is very clearly designed to be handled with off-jobs that the "elitist community" (by this do you mean BG? Or who? I don't even know who this is supposed to mean) beats with Monks and tells everyone else to take Monks to, though.

I'll tell you right now, though, I definitely don't bring my Monk to everything.
    (6)

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast