World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

"Additional Effect"

Date: Nov. 5, 2011
    Time: Around 5:00 AM CST
    Area: Maze of Shakhrami

Regarding the additional effect text display for a particular weapon, the Misery Staff, it displayed the following while I was fighting a monster in the Maze of Shakhrami:
    Luso hits the Caterchipillar for 14 points of damage.
    Additional effect: curse.
    I feel as though the second line should be remade into something like:
    Additional effect: The Caterchipillar receives the effect of Curse.
    I'm not sure if other weapons that are similar in giving status effects are like this, but it felt awkward to read that when I first used this weapon. It's somewhat vague even though the player assumes that the effect was put onto the enemy, but it doesn't hurt to get more clarification, I think.

While in battle, I was a SMN and had out Carbuncle and a Fellow NPC fighting, as well. The text for the effect can be produced again if the effect activates when attacking with the staff.
    (0)
    Last edited by Luso; 11-05-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    As far as I know all non-damage additional effects just say additional effect: Petrification / Curse / Poison / etc.

I'm not 100% sure, so feel free to prove me wrong, but as far as I know, this is normal.
    (1)

Thanks for the post, Luso.

As Alhanelem says, this has been the standard in-game notation, and since it would likely be more trouble than it's worth to try to revise, it will most likely remain as is.

Nevertheless, thank you for the feedback!
    (0)

Doesn't the genie weskit generate a message something like "Hitting Player's armor causes Mob to become cursed"? Could just reuse that, I guess.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Doesn't the genie weskit generate a message something like "Hitting Player's armor causes Mob to become cursed"? Could just reuse that, I guess.
    That's not an additional effect. It's more like spikes, which use a similar (though not exactly the same) message.
    (1)