Player

Stat Conversions question

So, I'm kind of confused by stat conversions. I've only been playing for two months, and I've tried asking around, but either people don't know, or they don't want to share.

I play a Pup, and I'm curious at what point AGI is better than +eva, how much Str is one Attack, how much Dex is one accuracy, etc.

I realize pure stats are probably as a whole better than specific +attack or +evasion, however, I am a huge min/maxer, and when I solo on my Pup, I really want to get the most out of Evasion, so I would like to know at least how much AGI equals one evasion. I have heard 3 agi is one evasion, but that seems a little high to me, because if that was the case, I don't understand how my level nine head piece is +5 evasion, but my level thirty body piece is +1 agi and +1 Dex?

Also, while you're at it, could you clarify what each stat does for me? I'll list what I think each stat does

Str is attack damage
    Dex is accuracy
    Vit is the damage you take
    Agi is Evasion and Ranged attack
    Int is spell damage
    Mnd is curing power
    Chr is... curing power for DNC, how long charm lasts, and has something to do with bards, how long their songs last maybe?

Is that the general idea of how stats work?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    (0)

Character
    Kyte
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    To reply to your simplest questions:

2 AGI= 1 evasion, 1 ranged accuracy. It can also be related to reducing enemy critical hit rate.

2 DEX= 1 accuracy. It is also related to your critical hit rate.

2 STR= 1 attack.

2 VIT= 1 defense

This is only a partial explanation, however. I need to do an event now so I can finish later if someone else hasn't yet.
    (0)

attackers str vs targets vit affects total "DMG" rating of your weapon. Every 4 str you have over the targets VIT, you gain 1 DMG. The reverse is also true.
    2 str increases attack by 1 for one-handed weapons
    4 str increases attack by 3 for two-handed weapons

crit rate is dependent on target AGI versus attackers DEX. Unsure about the exact values. Might be 4 dex for +1 crit percentage, and the reverse for AGI avoiding crits

MND affects magic that cures HP, along with magic defence

2 vit increases defence by 1

2 AGI increases evasion by 1, along with parry, guard and shield skills. Unsure about the exact values of these. 2 AGI is also 1 ranged accuracy.

2 accuracy (or ranged accuracy) is equal to +1% hit rate, assuming you're not below the lower hit-rate cap, and at, or above the upper hit rate cap (95%).

2 Evasion is equal to -1% hit rate, also assuming you're not at evasion cap

Int affects spell damage (including ninjutsu), and also increases lockpicking success for thieves. I think it also affects spell accuracy.

Chr affects charm, dancer abilities, and bard abilities. Usually success rate, potency, duration, or a combination of these.

Haste is a percentage reduction in weapon delay/spell recast time. 10% haste will reduce a recast timer (and weapon delay) to 90% of its original value. Spell recast reduction caps at 50% haste (half as long recast timers) and attack delay caps at 80% (attacks occur 5 times faster). This is why haste "accelerates" the more you get. Going from 45% to 50% will increase the damage output of a melee by much more than going from 0 to 5%.

Haste is usually regarded as the single most important stat when DDing (excluding weaponskills), but does not affect ranged attacks.
    (0)
    Last edited by Mirage; 03-13-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Character
    Nepharite
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 90
    Pure stats aren't as useful all the time. Everything in this game is situational.

If your trying to evade attacks, stack as much evasion gear you can then equip agi gear in slots you don't have evasion gear.
    For TPing you want to cap out your gear haste at 26%, then work on att and acc when needed.
    For your WS it really depends on what WS you are using. A lot also depends if your in in abyssea or not.
    (0)

Player
    Okay, thank you.

Also, on a completely unrelated note.

I finally hit 50 with my pup, and I'm doing my first limit break, and I looked ahead at the rest of the limit breaks.

You can't do the fifth limit break as any of the jobs that weren't in the original game?

That seems idiotic to me. I'm hoping the wiki is just out of date? Or am I really going to have to level another job to 70 just do the stupid limit break?

):
    (0)

Character
    Kaiyan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    yeah, as the requirement's state, you need to have at least a lv66 job not from non-ToAU and Wings of the Goddess. I am kinda surprised they didn't also include them, but at the same time, not many people only lvl one job that high. BUT that's only for Maat... i just looked it up and their are quest's for the other job's, here's the pup one http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Achieving_True_Power
    You just gotta do all of the AF quest's first.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nightstrike; 03-13-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    It is always the Darkest, before the Dawn.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstrike View Post
    yeah, as the requirement's state, you need to have at least a lv66 job not from non-ToAU and Wings of the Goddess. I am kinda surprised they didn't also include them, but at the same time, not many people only lvl one job that high. BUT that's only for Maat... i just looked it up and their are quest's for the other job's, here's the pup one http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Achieving_True_Power
    You just gotta do all of the AF quest's first.
    yaaaaaay.

guess i have to do af quests now. but i should probably do those regardless.

thank you
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Todo View Post
    I don't understand how my level nine head piece is +5 evasion, but my level thirty body piece is +1 agi and +1 Dex?
    This is not the only example of this. The Empress Hairpin is LV 24, and has more agi, dex and Evasion than other pieces of equipment much higher in level. Sometimes lower level equipment is better than higher level equipment. That's just how FFXI is.

Quote Originally Posted by Todo View Post
    Chr is... curing power for DNC, how long charm lasts, and has something to do with bards, how long their songs last maybe?
    Actually CHR does not effect bard buff song duration, but it does have some effect on bard *debuff* songs, in terms of magic accuracy.

That's the simple version, anyway. Players can actually go pretty in-depth in terms of how the mathematics involved, explaining *exactly* how the stats effects gameplay, but knowing this much is a good start.

MND also effects the potency of certain white magic debuffs, namely Slow and Paralyze.
    (0)
    Last edited by Panthera; 03-13-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: additional info