Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Celebrating the North American FINAL FANTASY XI 8th Year Anniversary!

October 28, 2011 marks the 8th year anniversary of the North American FINAL FANTASY XI launch! Without a doubt, it is because of our players that we have been around for so long and would like to say a heartfelt thank you for all of your support throughout the years.

The Community Team gathered all of the packages and other trinkets we could find around the office and organized them for your viewing pleasure!

Click image for larger version

Name:	NA_8th_Vanaversary.jpg
Views:	5608
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	940
    (From left to right: Hvinire, Camate, Rukkirii, Bayohne)

Curious where we took the picture? We have several meeting rooms named after FINAL FANTASY- content. The room we were in is named after FINAL FANTASY XI’s Mog House! ^^

Click image for larger version

Name:	moghouse.jpg
Views:	2625
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	941

Vana’diel sure has changed a lot since the launch eight years ago, so take a minute and share your memories with us. We would love to hear from you! Here are a few quotes from the Community Team to start us off!

Quote Originally Posted by Camate
    I remember way back, ages ago, before monsters despawned when you were knocked out or changed areas, trying to do the white mage AF quest for a friend. Someone trained every single Yagudo from the top floor of Castle Oztroja as they fled for their lives to the entrance. I had to hide in a corner and wait about 15 minutes or more until they all walked back to their proper places. Monsters despawning when you were knocked out or changed areas was the greatest invention ever. (lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvinire
    I've never been more impressed with a change in Vana'diel then when they added Level Sync. When I wanted to level my ninja, I had only a handful of places and people I could find to join me. With the Level Sync system it opened up a world of fast and fun leveling parties, not to mentioned it made finding replacements that much easier.

I also can't forget when they added the areas that came with the Chains of Promathia expansion, some of those maps are still my favorite to explore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayohne
    I’ll never forget the early morning wake up calls I’d get from my linkshell when an HNM would pop that we had to take down. I remember a call at 4am (on a work day!) for a Cerberus pop where I somehow got out of bed, ran from Whitegate to his spawn location while avoiding aggro and helped take it down. When the fight was over I passed back out right away. The next day, I woke up and couldn’t remember if I had actually done the fight or if it was just a dream that I had. Good times, good times!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii
    One of the many favorite memories that I have of FFXI is when my server held a level one race from San d’Oria to Jeuno. It was so much fun and such an adrenaline rush trying to get through various areas and avoid agro monsters. (/cough Goobue /cough)
    Let’s just say that I won, okay? *^_^*
    (36)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Character
    Fistandantilus
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I remember when I bought FFXI for myself, and a friend (Who was almost as huge of a Final Fantasy nerd as myself) when it was released on NA Ps3 in 2004. I had ordered DSL, and had to wait a few days b4 the service was turned on. Then once it was it took another 3 days or so to get my account str8 because of password issues with the new DSL. Just the sound of that classic FF music playing for those three days was thrilling.

Finally when I got online after work on the 3rd day (@4am EST!) I was outside in East ron as a wee little Elvaan rdm punching rabbits when a nice guy stopped me. He brought me into town, and bought me a bronze sword & a scroll of cure. Which at the time seemed like the most generous thing ever! Lol.
    (2)

~Party Rock Anthem~

First of all I remember buying the game back in 2004 but could only start playing in 2006ish... I was ridiculously excited to finally get my hands on it and I'll never forget my frustration and anxiety when I faced those updates.

After getting past that I decided to start as a THF and for some reason I thought that running around mobs like crazy would enhance DEX and they wouldn't hit me as much. A couple days later I met my first two FFXI friends (which I still talk to!) who then gave me my very first linkpearl, explained to me some basics and offered me some basic gear, which like Zaknafein said seemed the most generous act ever.

Then... the episodes of being MPK'd in the dunes countless times started. Good ol' days.
    (0)

By Kingfury. Fear the WHM.

Character
    Zatias
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    It was my boyfriend that got me interested in the whole MMO thing. We still adventure together in Vana'diel.

I remember having to install the game and download all its updates back when it first came out on 360. The opening video had me excited and I wanted all the downloading and installing to be done already! It took over 7 hours for it to finish ;[

I began as an Elvaan Warrior of San d'Oria. My boyfriend helped me get oriented by showing me the Auction House, supplying me with the Bronze Harness set, and explaining the Signet guy.

That first day was quite "magical" as some may call it. I enjoyed climbing through Ghelsba, slaughtering Orcs along the way. I loved the scenery, but I didn't like being chased down and killed by tougher Orcs deeper in the zone D;

Perhaps the biggest moment in my early days of adventuring was seeing a Ram for the first time. It was difficult to contain my curiosity and the urge to poke it with my Great Sword.
    (3)

Character
    Mariane
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Again about before the change that made monsters disappear after they move too far from their territories:

Sometime around 2003 (or was it 2004 ?) I was an lv65-ish White Mage who wanted to enter Crawler's Nest ...

There were a crowd by the entrance (considering that I had leveled at the place but aways been into "competent" parties) I was not aware what that was about and adventured inside.

As the usual "Data dowload" black screen faded out I found myself on the ground, dead while a "cloud" or "clot" of angry crawlers made it's way back from the frenzy it was kill me before the screen finished loading.

Ahhhhh GOOD MEMORIES !

One of the things this game has but players often overlook are the environmental effects. At Jugner Forest, for example there's a corner where a lot of mushrooms grow. At a certain time of the day they all start to pump spores at the same time.

A sight to be seen !

Or how about Yhoator and Yuhtunga when raining, you can see tiny mushrooms grow on the walls.

To the FFXI Staff:

Thank you for maintaining this incredible hobby/pass-time. I did meet awesome people and had a lot of interesting adventures because it exists !

m(_ _)m
    (2)

Character
    Unctgtg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Lol who thinks now everyone will now be hitting on Rukkirii
    (16)
    99 Drk, 99 Sch, 99 Bst, 99 Geo and a ton of other jobs there
    110 +5 Bonecraft
    Level 99 Relic Scythe

Character
    Tenfooter
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I remember wayyyyyy back when. Leveling in west ronafure, i used to run all the way back to my mog house everytime my HP got low lol. It took a week or so before i realized this remarkable Hot key "<ctrl>H".
    (8)

Character
    Fusionx
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    So many memories in this game... naked ballista matches, epic ballista matches between friends that were actually geared, the many shouts of "TRAIN TO ZONE!"

My favorite memory of this game was when Aht Urhgan came out and everyone was rushing through the pre-requesetes to get on the boat. I was lucky enough to get on the second boat out. I remember someone caught a fish NM and called for help because they weren't in a party and people were shouting "No! Don't CFH we need to find out what it drops!"
    (1)

Character
    Zubis
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Aww, you all look very happy in that pic...dream job huh?

My fondest memory of FFXI initially became one of my most frustrating - Chains of Promathia 6-4 "One to be Feared", as PLD way back in 2006.

"One to be Feared" indeed.

Before any nerfs this was a complete pain to do, and was pretty much declared impossible by the community (for many, many reasons). After ten attempts I became so disheartened that I began leveling NIN on the side before my static party told me to stop as they really wanted to complete it as PLD.

So Round Eleven.

1. Mammets: No real problems....we had lots of experience on this one!
    2. Omega: Our RDM took "Pile Pitch" to the face but we did pretty well. Our spirits were high!
    3. Ultima: At about 30% our WHM took an "Equalizer" to the face and things got rough. I then proceeded to spend 1.1million G worth of medicine in one minute while he got up and recovered. Our RDM was down, and I used Cover + Invincible on our MNK who then used Hundred Fists. That combined with our other DD's got it down to 1% - where people unfortunately started dropping because Ultima went a little crazy. Five people left, four people left, three standing...then I drop ._.

I'll be honest, I was so frustrated that I almost throw my controller out the window. Our Taru WHM managed to get up, though I didn't see the point...until our RDM got up too and managed to get off a final spell before dropping again.

At which point our WHM uses Holy...WIIIIIIIIIIN!

To this day I don't think I've ever had such a "booya!" moment in the game or any MMO.
    (10)

Character
    Xellith
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 95
    God I'm so old
    (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    Eleven Fajin boots!
    We did Voidwatch today and Eleven Fajin Boots dropped!! Yay! Thank you Square Enix Incorporated! The Three People that got them today were really happy

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast