Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Character
    Cyranda
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Re: Theytak and Annahya

Gender's definition, as Annahya is describing it, is correct - it's the social construct that defines certain roles and what people associate with either sex or that either sex is predisposed to do given societal direction.

Gender Identity, especially in cases of Gender Identity Disorder/Gender Dysphoria, on the other hand, does not always refer to one's relation to gender roles as they are mentioned above but can instead relate to one's biological sex. For instance, if a person is born biologically male and identifies with masculine gender roles but STILL feels an inherent wrongness in his biological sex, the term used is "Gender" Identity Disorder or "Gender" Dysphoria, when the disorder is actually a problem with/related to his sex.

It sounds like that is where the confusion is coming from. It'd probably make more sense if Gender Identity only referred to a person's relationship with gender roles, and a term like "Sex Identity" were used to describe a person's relationship to biological sex.
    (0)
    Last edited by Cyranda; 11-01-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Character
    Chamaan
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    This thread is not what I thought it was going to be. Though I guess this is a family friendly forum.
    (1)

Character
    Annalise
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyranda View Post
    Re: Theytak and Annahya

Gender's definition, as Annahya is describing it, is correct - it's the social construct that defines certain roles and what people associate with either sex or that either sex is predisposed to do given societal direction.

Gender Identity, especially in cases of Gender Identity Disorder/Gender Dysphoria, on the other hand, does not always refer to one's relation to gender roles as they are mentioned above but can instead relate to one's biological sex. For instance, if a person is born biologically male and identifies with masculine gender roles but STILL feels an inherent wrongness in his biological sex, the term used is "Gender" Identity Disorder or "Gender" Dysphoria, when the disorder is actually a problem with/related to his sex.

It sounds like that is where the confusion is coming from. It'd probably make more sense if Gender Identity only referred to a person's relationship with gender roles, and a term like "Sex Identity" were used to describe a person's relationship to biological sex.
    Agreed. I'm working on my master's in counseling, but I read a lot into LGBT issues.

Gender is used incorrectly by a hell of a lot of people.

I think the confusion is definitely in the term 'gender identity'.

I would say that gender is a social construct.
    Gender identity, and biological sex are not.

Gender identity is moreso your relationship to your self perception of your sex, and not your gender.
    (0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3