Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nala View Post
    either way they are basically rebuilding 14 from the ground, only things that are going to be the same once they finish with it is the base model designs and the back ground lore for the game, every thing else will have been reworked, gutted, revamped, renewed or otherwise revised. (as compared to its parameters upon the "official" launch)

given that 11 is a stable source of income and likely not to go away any time soon despite server mergers some level of effort to a similar scale for 11 would do wonders for its ability to sustain the gamer population.
    We'll by looking at the art work for Final Fantasy XIV Version 2.0 it looks complete revamp indeed, so your right. As for the base model designs Male Mithra seems to be added to the mix no idea if there be playable or NPC.
    http://www.creativeuncut.com/art_fin...rsion-2_a.html
    (0)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiver View Post
    back to the EVE online thing. ya the game is about as old as WoW and FFXI but the company that runs EVE made its foundation on that game and its still growing, where ffxi is vary slowly dieing. why focus mostly on a dieing game when you can build a new one that will have a draw to a new generation.
    Because if they gave it proper attention it wouldn't be dying? and also because FFXIV is almost certainly going to fail anyway
    (5)

Character
    Seshamaru
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Skull View Post
    Because if they gave it proper attention it wouldn't be dying? and also because FFXIV is almost certainly going to fail anyway
    That is the real issue most people seem to understand and SE doesn't. FFXIV currently has about 30k players or so that's what everyone says. They are going to start charging customers this December, which will certainly hurt the "Active" player status, because lets be honest there are more than a few that still have their character on FFXIV because it's free. On top of that the 2.0 wont be complete for nearly 2 years as a finished product. So let me get this straight SE (and the people speaking up against a XI remake) truly believes that during this two year period people will come in mass to subscribe to 14, players will start quitting XI to join XIV, and somehow the game will shoot up to some phenomenon level of awesomeness. Let's live in reality, over the next two years more MMOs will flood the market, SE won't do any advertising anywhere except japan and 14 will linger and sit at 100k subscribers for the next five years. Most people on this thread would rather see a remake of a dying game, than one that is already dead.
    (8)
    Last edited by Sesh; 10-30-2011 at 03:25 AM.

Character
    Uhnono
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 1
    Im glad everyone for the full revamp of FFXI in here are business majors. I see all your posts are based on investment,growth,gain, and profit margin charts and graphs, rather than your and your LS buddies want new graphics to oh an ah about and a built in interface for unlimited macro lines cause "its hard yo" to use 3 macros to change into a full gear set. 1st thing would be to stop citing pop numbers that FFXIAH tells you or your LS buddies "know for a fact" cause it makes you sound kinda silly tbh.

Please don't confuse my post as Im against the idea. Its just the same people keep quoting the same "outta the air" numbers and the same lame reasons why FFXIV will never do good. Whats so hard to understand FFXVI has a much newer engine and code base soooooo its much easier to build upon and improve than a 10+ year old engine and source.
    (1)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    You seem to be confusing new with good. I know commercials tell you to go buy something just because its new, but that doesn't always equal good. Also since you mention ROI. What are my chances of a good ROI for me if I start playing FFXIV? Because when I check my magic 8 ball, it says "Not so good". See from Squares perspective, obviously the newer game has more potential, but from a customer standpoint, its not looking so good.
    (3)

Quote Originally Posted by llello View Post
    Im glad everyone for the full revamp of FFXI in here are business majors. I see all your posts are based on investment,growth,gain, and profit margin charts and graphs, rather than your and your LS buddies want new graphics to oh an ah about and a built in interface for unlimited macro lines cause "its hard yo" to use 3 macros to change into a full gear set. 1st thing would be to stop citing pop numbers that FFXIAH tells you or your LS buddies "know for a fact" cause it makes you sound kinda silly tbh.

Please don't confuse my post as Im against the idea. Its just the same people keep quoting the same "outta the air" numbers and the same lame reasons why FFXIV will never do good. Whats so hard to understand FFXVI has a much newer engine and code base soooooo its much easier to build upon and improve than a 10+ year old engine and source.
    I'm glad you're a computer science major with experience in software programming and engine design.

The biggest hurdle I could imagine with regards to upgrading FFXI's engine would be the fact that the people that designed it are no longer working with Square Enix. Even then, though, SE would be much better off just licensing an existing engine regardless of which game they apply it to. Crystal Tools is extremely screwy and they've poured far more money into it at this point than it would have cost them to license a better engine. Even now, scrapping it and licensing a new engine would likely be cheaper than fixing the damn thing.

Even if they were to "upgrade" FFXI, that doesn't mean that it would have to be in CE3 or its equivalent. Because it's such an old game, the standards for basic interface and graphical upgrades are much lower than those for a brand new game. I don't care about DX11 support in FFXI, I'd be happy with DX9!

The fact of the matter is, SE corporate is screwing itself over pretty hardcore. They posted terrible losses last year, and part of their marketing plan to recoup those losses was to "revitalize existing MMOs". Unfortunately, they're trying to do this without spending very much money by forcing the 6 Devs and 1 Hamster still working on the game to work overtime and crank out whatever they can with the same, or fewer, resources than they've had previously. It's a sad situation, because you know anyone still working under those conditions is either a hardcore masochist or legitimately loves the game, but love for your work isn't going to magically add more hours to the day.

The point is really this: They could try revitalizing FFXIV-2 and hoping it will turn out well, despite the fact that its record is terrible and it had one of the worst MMO launches in recent memory. They could do this while directly competing with TERA, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, and their own flagship MMO. Or they could allocate even half as many resources to an already-established MMO with a solid market and rabid subscriber base that would gladly sell their souls for a client upgrade.

This has nothing to do with technology and everything to do with corporate executives taking an extraordinary gamble with our money because they're too stubborn to scrap a failed project.
    (6)

Character
    Katoplepa
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    everyone is talking about graphics and redesign... but, honestly, who really cares about graphyc?

I don't know 1 player who are quitting (or quitted) because of the out-dated graphycs... there are many mmo there are still active and played, loved from playerbase, and the graphyc is still the same...

FFXIV is beautiful to see, very great graphics, but it's a fail and nobody wants to play it, anyway, even if the graphic is good... and I'm sure when SE will start to ask fee, half the active players will quit... Friends that I know are playing it only because it's free...

in the end, FFXI is loved and played NOT for the graphics, but for the contents and because is well projected...
    give us some new contents, some new areas designed for liv.99, give us new challengings events, with the same graphics, and we will continue to pay for it, for sure...
    (1)

It's not about quitting due to graphics. It's about potentially adding a new playerbase with an updated graphics engine.

Most of us who play now don't care about the graphics because we've been playing the game since the graphics were relatively good for the time, and we have a combination of nostalgia goggles and a personal investment in the game. Neither of these mean anything to people who may potentially pick up the game on steam or at best buy.
    (3)

Character
    Seshamaru
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    give us some new contents, some new areas designed for liv.99, give us new challengings events, with the same graphics, and we will continue to pay for it, for sure...
    At this point, with the skeleton crew, and the level of how much the higher ups care about anything regarding FFXI, asking for simple practical requests much less a 2.0 version is nothing but a dream. It really is to bad that they have such a disregard for FFXI and its loyal fans(aka the people that are paying for FFXIV).
    (2)

Character
    Luso
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I wouldn't say that many MMOs are still the same graphics-wise; they might have had tweaks such as advanced lightning and anti-aliasing or better support for higher resolutions, but nothing too major like what MMOs like XIV, WoW, or RuneScape are going/went through. This is because they aren't limited by a platform that can't get a hardware upgrade, aka the PS2. I'd like to know what MMOs haven't had any sort of graphics update and how many players play such, because it's all conjecture until examples are given. FFXI had minor tweaks in the form of resolutions and font recently, but the resolutions, to my knowledge, aren't really what I'd call exact as there are still two different kinds of resolutions you're dealing with here. It'd be better to combine both to save the user the trouble of figuring out what is what and what setting to put which at, but that might be just me.

Besides, I'm pretty sure most of the player base isn't asking for an actual graphical remake of FFXI: they simply want support for DX9+ (and newer graphics cards, as well) among other things, which isn't as tedious and time-consuming as remaking the engine would be, I'm sure. Or, they could do what someone else suggested and license a third party engine. Either way, it's better than what FFXI is running on now, and it would solve a whole slew of issues this game has running on the PC, at least. This would probably eliminate things such as FPS issues in content like Campaign, Besieged, etc.

Most of my friends who play this game on PC actually WANT to use the extra power they have on their card, such as VRAM, but can't because of the limitations this game has without circumventing something internally in the game.
    (0)

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast