Hybrid View

Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99

Vulcan's vs. Jupiter's staff (bow)

Ok this question is for the Gandiva users. I know Vulcan's is better for gun due to fire affinity however my question is this -

Why do so many (if not everyone) I see with Gandiva use Vulcan's over Jupiter's staff?

We are basically looking at +10 R.Attk vs. 15% Crit Hit Rate.

On paper (as I am yet to parse this) Jupiter's with fairly standard gear will increase DPS by about 10%. If we are talking purely overall bonus, vulcan's staff offers (from my terribly rough math) a ~1.3% boost in R.Attk for a lvl 90 RNG (Due to a lvl 90 Hume RNG having about ~820 R.Attk). Yet Jupiter's offers a solid 15% boost in crit hit rate.

So in *theory* Jupiter's is a stupidly overpowering main hand boost compared to Vulcan's..

What am I missing that Vulcan staff users know about?
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Alderin View Post

What am I missing that Vulcan staff users know about?
    That Jupiter's Crit rate affects only the staff.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosina View Post
    wasn't hear when that was added. but still I think gear swaping is stupid. That is my opinion, anfd I have the right to say it. If you care to insult me over my opinion then you just prove how childish you are
    Translation: I'm rubber and you're glue, everything bounces off of me and sticks to you, you noob brat gear swapping elitist soloists.

Character
    Annahya
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkalinehoe View Post
    That Jupiter's Crit rate affects only the staff.
    Wow - I am fairly new to RNG myself, and was unaware this distinction existed. Is it specific to certain gear, or does Critical Hit Rate never apply to ranged attacks?

I was looking for support for this, but all I could find was a discussion entry on FFXIclopedia stating that it was unlikely that it affected ranged attacks (citing examples of a couple other items).

If this is the case, is it all +CritRate sources, not just gear? When we set RR are we only getting the +CritDamage from it?

Thanks in advance for any answers, clarification or evidence.
    (0)
    "Play the way you want and have a good time - but understand that your performance can have an effect on the fun of others. Be effective for those counting on you, and never lose sight of the fact that enjoyment for yourself and others is the ultimate goal."

Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Nevermind! case closed. Cheers for enlightening me.
    (1)

Player
    Oneiros knife and augmented Yataghans are also an option, assuming not /sam and/or using Hasso/TE.
    (0)

Character
    Esor
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    crit rate on weapons only effects that weapon. crit rate on gear is universal, crit dmg on weapons/gear is universal.
    (0)

Character
    Myrrhcat
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by esoR View Post
    crit rate on weapons only effects that weapon. crit rate on gear is universal, crit dmg on weapons/gear is universal.
    Now, if only more Rngs knew and understood this. Would make for a lot less crappy RNGs out there.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh View Post
    Now, if only more Rngs knew and understood this. Would make for a lot less crappy RNGs out there.
    I have yet to see a RNG with Jupiter's staff so there can't be too many out there. There's hardly any RNG's out there at all these days.
    If you are going to carp on RNG's for something, why not use the old standby, "Quit using cheap ammo!". You're more likely to see a RNG using Demon arrows than a RNG usng Jupiters staff.
    (0)
    Yo Ho Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me!

Character
    Myrrhcat
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirabelle View Post
    I have yet to see a RNG with Jupiter's staff so there can't be too many out there. There's hardly any RNG's out there at all these days.
    If you are going to carp on RNG's for something, why not use the old standby, "Quit using cheap ammo!". You're more likely to see a RNG using Demon arrows than a RNG usng Jupiters staff.
    On Quetz and on Carbuncle I've seen numerous people use Jupiters Staff and they tell me I'm wrong when I try explain to them that the Crit incrase Crit only applies to the main weapon. Some people just don't want to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyreus View Post
    Wasn't this discovered back in 2005? lol
    And yet, here we are.
    (0)

Character
    Fyreus
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 98
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh View Post
    Wasn't this discovered back in 2005? lol
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast