Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Will WHMs get Phalanx between Lv96-99?

I hope so. If paladins can use Phalanx at Lv77 then there is no reason why WHMs shouldn't get the spell at a later level.

It should have played out like Flash.
    PLD gets it at lv37
    WHM gets it at lv45
    Thats an 8 level difference, which means that we should have gotten it at lv95.
    (2)
    Last edited by InsideOut; 10-03-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelled phalanx wrong

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Phalanx used to be a Red Mage exclusive spell. Currently there are three ways to cast Phalanx, Red Mage, Paladin, and sub Red Mage.

This effectively means that Paladin, a tank job, can use Phalanx on itself. Red Mage can also use it to tank somewhat, but the applications for Red Mage go on more to farming - particularly in Abyssea using Aeolian Edge. Other jobs can sub Red Mage to do this, particularly jobs with a decent enhancing skill and good weapon skill access, like White Mage, but this is somewhat uncommon.

Another thing that can be done is that Red Mage has Phalanx II, so it can cast it on others. This merit was about made useless with the introduction of Scholar, since you can now sub Scholar to Phalanx a whole party. Or you can go Scholar and sub Red Mage.

If White Mage got this spell natively, that would make two jobs that aren't Red Mage that could cast it on a whole party. Considering the amount of Red Mage whining that would happen if this happened, I doubt this would happen.

Plus, this spell is kindof Red Mage's thing, and there isn't precedent for it like there was for Addle (which there was plenty for, and all the whining is unjustified). Red Mage just gets enhancing magic that White Mage does not, or White Mage gets it at the same level.

I wouldn't expect Phalanx at a high level unless Red Mage suddenly got some White Mage spells, such as Flash and Repose. Paladin is a poor reason to get new enhancing spells, let alone new spells in general. Usually it is Divine Magic that White Mage and Paladin share. And usually, it is White Mage that gets the spells before Paladin (Flash was more of the exception then the rule). Like Paladin is probably going to get Holy II at some point in the future.

I'd more expect Paladin to get Repose then White Mage to get Paladin specific spells (I think they should get Repose, and we should get Reposega, but this is veering off a bit), but if White Mage was getting Paladin spells, the choices are pretty much Reprisal and Enlight. Considering that Reprisal would be silly for White Mage, and is Enhancing Magic anyways, I strongly doubt this. And for Enlight, I also doubt this, considering that we have Auspice with Afflatus Misery. If I had to pick one that I think is more likely, I'd pick Enlight, but I'm not taking bets this is going to happen.
    (6)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Troll thread right?

If not, please delete your character.
    (2)

Character
    Mystina
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Troll thread right?

If not, please delete your character.
    It might be better if you do it.

The bigger question is: why does WHM NEED phalanx?
    (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soranika View Post
    Rajas ring is as outdated as Tamas ring at this point.
    -_-....

Character
    Retsujo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    It made sense when PLDs got it. It's a job that focuses on being able to take physical damage like a champ. A WHM may be about protecting party members and keeping them alive, but it seems to me that giving WHM Phalanx would compliment Afflatus: Solace too much. Plus we just got an ability that increases mdb, and I'd like to see the devs expand on that.
    (0)
    Through the confinement of Valefor I found myself in the depths of Hades. It was there that I was thrown into Cerberus' Den. Only through Carbuncle's light could I find my way.

Character
    Sasaraixx
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    Thank you. The other post was unnecessarily long and really didn't add much. This is the only question that needed to be asked.

We are getting to the stage where adjustments should be made based on deficiencies within a job, filling holes across all jobs or adding utility where it is lacking. There is of course the "shiny new toy" category as well but Phalanx would not achieve that for WHM either.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    It might be better if you do it.

For soloing and envy of the paladin, of course. Paladins, being the best defensive job in the game, didn't need Phalanx either.

Either way, I believe we're getting Phalanx or a -physical defense version of Sacrosanctity. Most likely its the latter.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Retsujo View Post
    It made sense when PLDs got it. It's a job that focuses on being able to take physical damage like a champ. A WHM may be about protecting party members and keeping them alive, but it seems to me that giving WHM Phalanx would compliment Afflatus: Solace too much. Plus we just got an ability that increases mdb, and I'd like to see the devs expand on that.
    All of these years of Phalanxs existence and PLD only got it recently. They clearly didn't need it now anymore than they needed in the years before. Most likely they will expand on Sacrosancitity but I would rather get Reflect and Phalanx.
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    You're aware Phalanx is self-target right?

WHM is a party buffer, not a self-buffer like RDM or a tank like PLD. They'd need Phalanx II and that's a RDM merit point spell so it wont happen.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Hatcher View Post
    You're aware Phalanx is self-target right?

WHM is a party buffer, not a self-buffer like RDM or a tank like PLD. They'd need Phalanx II and that's a RDM merit point spell so it wont happen.
    You are aware that WHMs usually sub scholar, therefore we have access to Accession, right? No, I don't think you were aware, but now you know. WHM also have Stoneskin and Blink which are self-target non-party buffers.
    (1)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast