Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    5%, by any standard, is simply too low to be remarkable (Pre-merit THFs would understand this with Triple Attack). 10% should be the lower limit of this set bonus if Paladins are to make full use of the set. If the current value was set based on two Empyrean items, it was a most misguided decidsion.
    (0)
    Hayward: Cerberus-San d'Oria

5/5 +1: Cirque [4/5], Tantra [4/5], Ferine [4/5], Estoqueur's [1/5], Sylvan, Navarch's [1/5], Savant's, Orison [1/5], Charis [2/5]

5/5 +2: Creed, Caller's, Unkai, Iga, Raider's, Lancer's, Mavi, Ravager's, Goetia, Bale, Aoidos'

Quote Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
    5%, by any standard, is simply too low to be remarkable (Pre-merit THFs would understand this with Triple Attack). 10% should be the lower limit of this set bonus if Paladins are to make full use of the set. If the current value was set based on two Empyrean items, it was a most misguided decidsion.
    Monk's set bonus, all things considered, is even lower. The set bonus is not meant to be a defining characteristic of Paladin. It is just a bonus that occasionally pops up.

What, are you also mad that Shadow Mantle has a 5% proc rate? Oh no, this rare piece of gear does not completely revolutionize the way we take damage. Obviously it is worthless.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
    5%, by any standard, is simply too low to be remarkable (Pre-merit THFs would understand this with Triple Attack). 10% should be the lower limit of this set bonus if Paladins are to make full use of the set. If the current value was set based on two Empyrean items, it was a most misguided decision.
    5% is the standard rate for Empyrean set bonuses, with some being around 10% but dependent on another occurrence that actually makes them worse than 5%. The statistics on the individual pieces are the main benefit, and the set bonuses are...well...bonuses. They're designed to look very impressive and happen very rarely.
    (0)

Player
    Yeah the 10% bonuses are present on Empyrean sets that need a contingent job trait to proc i.e Double Attack/Triple Attack/Conserve MP/Blood Boon etc and when you compound the percentages it's lower than 5%. The 5% pieces are usually those that are contigent on permanent statuses rather than a fickle job trait i.e Your HP%/Wyvern HP%/Pet HP%/Automaton HP%/Barspell Present.
    (0)

I'm like 100% positive THF Set bonus is ~6% proc rate on triple attack procs, So realistically you have like a 1.8% or much much lower Chance for THF Set bonus to proc with 5/5 set outside Abyssea. If its 10%, I'd like to know where that testing was done, and a link to the results.

Assuming you have Merits and +2 Head (Full set derp), thats 13% Triple Attack on THF. 5% of that is what.. 0.8% or so for THF Set bonus to proc? yah. have fun with that.

Even with
    Triplus
    +2 head
    Epona's
    Raider's Earring

You're only at 20% Triple Attack, which is roughly 1% (2% if the "10%" rate is true, which is still under half of what PLD has) Chance for THF Set bonus to to proc with 5/5+2 armor.

Does it even matter? Is taking hard these days? I'm just curious why anyone cares about the proc rate on the set. Its a set BONUS, its just a Bonus to the other stats on the armor. You could have NO set bonus? 5% is better than 0%. While 10 would be nice, its not needed, and a bit unrealistic.

even so, I don't think i've ever been in a situation where the PLD Set bonus would have mattered or been life or death anyway, I think its a really nifty set bonus too, a lot better than some set bonuses (I'm looking at you MNK and NIN's)
    (1)
    Last edited by Karbuncle; 10-10-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    I'm like 100% positive THF Set bonus is ~6% proc rate on triple attack procs, So realistically you have like a 1.8% or much much lower Chance for THF Set bonus to proc with 5/5 set outside Abyssea. If its 10%, I'd like to know where that testing was done, and a link to the results.

Assuming you have Merits and +2 Head (Full set derp), thats 13% Triple Attack on THF. 5% of that is what.. 0.8% or so for THF Set bonus to proc? yah. have fun with that.

Even with
    Triplus
    +2 head
    Epona's
    Raider's Earring

You're only at 20% Triple Attack, which is roughly 1% (2% if the "10%" rate is true, which is still under half of what PLD has) Chance for THF Set bonus to to proc with 5/5+2 armor.

Does it even matter? Is taking hard these days? I'm just curious why anyone cares about the proc rate on the set. Its a set BONUS, its just a Bonus to the other stats on the armor. You could have NO set bonus? 5% is better than 0%. While 10 would be nice, its not needed, and a bit unrealistic.

even so, I don't think i've ever been in a situation where the PLD Set bonus would have mattered or been life or death anyway, I think its a really nifty set bonus too, a lot better than some set bonuses (I'm looking at you MNK and NIN's)
    Nitpicking really, but Triple Attack will almost always have more chances to proc than a PLD getting hit. I don't care either way personally its a fun bonus on either job, which is what it feels like it was meant to be.

The only issue I have with set bonus stuff really is stuff like RDM's Bonus. 100% proc while Composure is up compared to the 5% proc or 5% proc of a proc sets seems unfair. But even then I don't have much of an issue because that would just lead to a nerf and not a buff.
    (0)

Player
    Composure's buff with AF3 is lackluster because there are very few spells that it works with since most of RDM's enhancing spells are selfcast. So really it only works on Haste/Refresh/Regen/Phalanx II. I know those are the ones that count but it's still a shame that RDM, the highest Enhancing Skill job in the game has the fewest enhancing spells to cast on others.
    (0)

WHM has Haste and Regen.

Kay.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    This is very possible. I just went by a couple of really old tests (with low-ish sample sizes, so the margin of error was huge) combined with my assumption that proc rates that depend on other proc rates would be higher. That makes the most sense, right?

I forgot that this is FFXI, however, where nothing ever has to make sense. Up is down and down is an egg sandwich. Proc rates on all Empyrean armor could very well be ~6% across the board regardless of what they do or when they do it.
    (1)

612 wharf ave next to the gentlemen's club.
    Character
    Tyrantsyn
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I'm not a main pld, but i'd have to agree 5% is pretty lousy. Maybe be 10~15% would be a little more like it. And than maybe small boost threw additional gear. Say maybe and extra 1~2% at the most.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast