Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Vrytreya
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiya View Post
    So to make sure I am understanding this correctly... if you do 100 damage, you transfer X enmity, and if you do 1000 damage, you still transfer X enmity? If that is the case, I honestly don't see how this is good at all, at least not for Abyssea. From my personal experience, RNG deals more damage per hit than any other job in the game by about double, so I don't really see how a fixed amount of enmity transfer solves the problems at all. Maybe the wave of the future will be Loxley Bow or back to old school Holy Bolt setups since the additional effect gives no hate?

I don't know, it seems to be alright, but it isn't really that amazing. I would of rather had something that transferred a flat % of enmity, not something that only transfers a insignificant portion of enmity. Sorry for the rant, it is better than nothing.
    You need to run on some calculation first before saying anything. Suppose the enmity transfer really worth 200 damage of enmity, then as long as your damage below 800 (with enmity-50 total), you won't grab mob attention.

800 enmity with -50 enmity gear will produce 400 enmity worth of damage
    200 out of 400 enmity will be transferred to the PC where decoy shot applied on.
    So both character gain the same amount of enmity and RNG doesn't pull the mob attention from that PC.

Flat % of enmity isn't that any better than the current implementation too. What if I pull a 200 damage worth of enmity? The current system give 0 hate to me but 200 damage to the player, while the % flat enmity transfer will leave some enmity on me and less than 200 damage of enmity to other player.
    (0)

Character
    Lumiya
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    You need to run on some calculation first before saying anything. Suppose the enmity transfer really worth 200 damage of enmity, then as long as your damage below 800 (with enmity-50 total), you won't grab mob attention.

800 enmity with -50 enmity gear will produce 400 enmity worth of damage
    200 out of 400 enmity will be transferred to the PC where decoy shot applied on.
    So both character gain the same amount of enmity and RNG doesn't pull the mob attention from that PC.

Flat % of enmity isn't that any better than the current implementation too. What if I pull a 200 damage worth of enmity? The current system give 0 hate to me but 200 damage to the player, while the % flat enmity transfer will leave some enmity on me and less than 200 damage of enmity to other player.
    How polite of you to say so. As a matter of fact, I did run some calculation before I said anything. By my calculations I don't run with a -50 enmity setup and have yet to meet a single RNG who does. So theoretical benefits of an ability if I had a setup I don't and I never plan to have are quite irrelevant. I calculated assuming I had -0 enmity, which is not true as I do have some on my current gear. However the benefits of an ability can't be measured entirely in the realm of theory or with stipulated contigencies.

However I would also like to point out that you need to find out how much damage I do before you say anything as well. From what you are saying, I can do up to 800 damage a shot without pulling any enmity above and beyond the tank. However sometimes my shots go over 800, depending on what I am fighting. My barrage does over five times that, where I will generate massive enmity beyond what I am doing per normal shot. My weapon skills do over three times as much as well. If it were a % based ability, it wouldn't limit us to only making effective use of it with normal shots. As it stands it is rather close to being worthless for any damage spikes we produce.

Feliciaa, I understand what you are saying and you do have a good point. However I am not with an end game shell and don't ever plan to do the 'newest' content, unless it can be done with less than a whole party. Really though that has never been the area where hate is that big of an issue regardless. RNG has been one of the top DD end game since Sky was new, and it has never been a huge threat to tanking HNM. Now it has been a while since I've done it, and maybe with the new content the dynamic has changed, but if it is anything like the old days with tanks stacking CE and VE then RNG should still have little to fear in that realm. I just was hoping for something that would give a blanket benefit to all RNG regardless of what they do to help lower or prevent enmity accumulation. Perhaps the fault is my own for getting my hopes up so much about this ability, but it just seemed to have fallen short of my expectations.
    (0)

Character
    Vrytreya
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiya View Post
    How polite of you to say so. As a matter of fact, I did run some calculation before I said anything. By my calculations I don't run with a -50 enmity setup and have yet to meet a single RNG who does. So theoretical benefits of an ability if I had a setup I don't and I never plan to have are quite irrelevant. I calculated assuming I had -0 enmity, which is not true as I do have some on my current gear. However the benefits of an ability can't be measured entirely in the realm of theory or with stipulated contigencies.
    OK, -50 might be impractical, but -40 is quite feasible.
    Sylvan Caban +2 = -9
    Sylvan Bottilons +2 = -7
    Metanoia Ring= -5
    Novia Earring = -7
    Crudelis belt, Sylvan scarf, and Sylvan Chlamys = 3*-3 = -9 or -10 if you use Buccaneer's Belt
    Sylvan Earring = -2
    And there's definitely more stuff you can push more to reach enmity-50

And still, even with -40 enmity, you still have 666 damage per shot to do before you'll get into trouble.

However I would also like to point out that you need to find out how much damage I do before you say anything as well. From what you are saying, I can do up to 800 damage a shot without pulling any enmity above and beyond the tank. However sometimes my shots go over 800, depending on what I am fighting. My barrage does over five times that, where I will generate massive enmity beyond what I am doing per normal shot. My weapon skills do over three times as much as well. If it were a % based ability, it wouldn't limit us to only making effective use of it with normal shots. As it stands it is rather close to being worthless for any damage spikes we produce.
    Like the community rep saying, this JA, by any means, isn't to be the ultimate method for us to hide behind tank's enmity.
    Your high damage barrage and WS can be reduced via other means (like stealth shot, -enmity gear during WS, etc), while your normal ranged attack enmity can be reduced much by Decoy Shot and Camouflage.

And also : To whatever mob you can do 800 damage a shot, either their attack will be easy enough for you to handle or they probably gonna die really quick so that the concept of "hiding behind tank's enmity" is not a big deal.

Hence, I don't think the situation you described is realistic or serious enough to deem decoy shot as "not good".
    (0)
    Last edited by VZX; 10-13-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Character
    Lumiya
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 95
    As I said to Feliciaa, I don't do any of the newer content and I don't have an end game shell anymore. Mostly all I do is Abyssea, and in Abyssea that sort of damage is easy to do. I understand the arguements, and in some ways I do see the benefits of Decoy Shot. However it still seems to be less than I was hoping for. However it appears I am just one person in a larger community who has issues with it, so /shrugs. If majority of RNG are happy, then at least this JA wasn't a total bust.
    (0)

Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    800 DMG per shot? I would like to see your tp set... and what arrows your using.

Assuming this is Abyssea, and these 800 per shot are crit hits - enmity reduction isn't required as it's stupidly easy for tanks to hold hate.
    (0)

Character
    Lumiya
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Alderin View Post
    800 DMG per shot? I would like to see your tp set... and what arrows your using.

Assuming this is Abyssea, and these 800 per shot are crit hits - enmity reduction isn't required as it's stupidly easy for tanks to hold hate.
    This is Abyssea I'm talking about, and it isn't stupidly easy for tanks to hold hate there due to the hate cap.
    (0)

Character
    Shuffles
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I am thinking the line it which you line up with your tank stays narrow, what it really should do is fan out the farther you are away.

I used decoy shot and had no issues , next time I pulled hate right away and that was because I was barely off a bit from tank. With thf you are right behind the guy, it is hard to be that off, my guess is SE didn't think this through again and increase the line the farther you go out.
    (0)

Character
    Lumiya
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 95
    The only problem with this idea would be when you have two players standing next to eachother in front of you. If it wasn't a direct line with the enemy, it might affect the wrong player.
    (0)

Character
    Shuffles
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    but that could be good for the odd chuckle
    (0)

Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Ok so in short - I do 100 damage on a mob with decoy shot up.

20 of that damage is seen by the mob as coming from the person in front of me and 80 of it from me?

This is Abyssea I'm talking about, and it isn't stupidly easy for tanks to hold hate there due to the hate cap.
    Oic. Abyssea explains it. A good tank can hold hate off Ukon war's in abyssea. I see your point as mute?

Enmity issues only really come up in areas without super-powers. If they do - then you need to have a word with your rubbish tanks. Yes hate cap etc etc - but there is also something called Dual-wield. And that is what keeps the mob's head turned.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alderin; 10-19-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast