Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Character
    Sayn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    I think that the truly disappointing part of this update is the lack of story. The CoP days may have been the dark ages when it came to convenience, playability, and not being hated by the development team, but the story involved with the game was incredibly rich. Updates could have up to a dozen quests added, many with more story involved than just "fetch me these items" for our standard monthly fee. To get a dozen of anything now you have to pay $10, and chances are the stories will be sloppily thrown together like those first three terrible add-ons. (Seriously, I will never forgive whoever did the "no one remembers anything because they were dreaming" garbage from a Crystaline Prophecy. Any Freshman literature undergrad could have scribbled out a better story than that.)

Take Open Sesame for example. This was a standard fetch quest where you just give the NPC some stuff and that is it. Instead, it could have been about an archeologist who wanted to study the Quicksand Caves ruins. Throw in a brief tour of the place through ??? spots, discuss the history of the place, maybe tell us some things that we never knew about it, the archeologist figures out how to make a gizmo to work the doors and gives us one because we were so helpful to him; everyone would feel a little more enriched for the experience. Instead we got a very lazy "get me this and something else" and called it a day.

Sure, some people don't care about the game's backstory, but a lot of us do. The game's lore keeps us connected to Vana'diel, it helps us to care about the game- anymore I am finding this part to be disturbingly wanting.
    Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm running out of (in-depth) story to go through, and it's making me sad. Gear, gear, gear, gear, spells, gear, gear can only go so far.

The plot-holes thread on BG is probably the best thread about XI I've read in a long time, and I'm glad it's being kept maintained.
    (1)

I've had it with this game now.

Unless 99 has some spectacular new awesomeness to it, it's just not worth it anymore. I did kind of enjoy VW, but the drop system is still total bullshit and I am beyond disgusted at the 95 relics/mythics/empyreans. All that effort for such little gain? I thought the new devs had learned finally that that was precisely what so many of us hated about the game for the last 8~9 years.

It's not about the effort - I love a good challenge. I felt incredibly satisfied and vindicated when I finally got my Masamune 85. But the 95 trials are nothing but SE slapping their giant dick in our faces. Couple this with the blatant disregard of the community's concerns with certain new abilities (Scarlet Dilerium anyone?) and the utter refusal to move PS2 users to PS3 to enable new expansion packs...

Yeah run on sentence there somewhat, sorry. But it just feels like I've exhausted this game at last. All there really is to do at this point is grind for gear. WotG had such a crappy ending I felt, and after waiting 3 years for it really took the wind out the sails. Abyssea was a welcome breath of new life into what was then a dying game, but its charm has worn off now and has even created new problems.

Take into account also SE's refusal to fix other problem areas of XI that they have in XIV - namely skilling up and scrolls - and I just can't help but ask "why bother anymore?". I'm still curious to see lv 99 and the "Last Stand" or whatever it is they're cooking up for post voidwatch, but does anyone else really feel like XI has finally run its course?

Really, really looking forward to patch 1.19 and 1.20 for XIV. I just wish I could say the same for XI, because I still love the game at its core, but it doesn't look like SE can really deliver anymore.

Seriously, just make a PS3 port already and drop the damn PS2 so we can have more expansions. We haven't even explored half of Vana'diel - a quarter at best, according to the NPCs and game lore.
    (2)

Really, really looking forward to patch 1.19 and 1.20 for XIV. I just wish I could say the same for XI, because I still love the game at its core, but it doesn't look like SE can really deliver anymore.
    FFXIV is cooked, if you can't see that you're delusional. The stuff they have in the works is not goingto bring players back to the game and it's going to be a really hard sell to try get a mass number of new players to buy into an old game (which it will be by the time it's fixed).

FFXI has some major problems atm but it still has more lifespan and potential than FFXIV. All they really need to do is spend more money on the game, release more expansions and try not to let Tanaka grind the game into the ground.
    (4)

Character
    Golovko
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I'd probably consider this the most uninspiring update the game has ever seen, especially considering this was supposed to be a major, not minor one.
    (0)

Only can hope the updates get better after the 99 cap. Not all this huge grind stuff they added in this patch.
    (0)

If they keep making FFXI too good, noone will switch to FFXIV and they won't be able to turn off the FFXI servers.
    (1)

Character
    Mdkuser
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacite View Post
    Just saying: people have been waiting for a miraculous patch in FFXIV since day one. Every 2 week there would be a miracle patch that would solve everything. Patch 1.19 will not fix anything, like any other.

It took them 4 months from release to realize everything in their game is bad, when peopel had been saying it since 1st month of beta. 1 year after the game still sucks. I loged in last moth for 15 mn to realize the things i hate still havent changed lol ( lag through vendor, lag in city, lag everywhere, terrible UI). This game wont be playable before another year.
    (0)

Character
    Nynja
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
    Reactivated my account two days ago expecting to enjoy the next week or two leveling and skill capping my Ninja. 3 hours later I was 95 with all my skills maxed out. Logged off and haven't logged on since. What a waste of 15$.
    It took you 3 hours to cap parrying? Really? Really?
    (2)

Character
    Pimpchan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nynja View Post
    It took you 3 hours to cap parrying? Really? Really?
    Capping parry is about as useful, fun, and artificial as doing voidwatch or anything we got with the VU basically.
    (0)
    Last edited by MarkovChain; 09-26-2011 at 02:57 AM.

Ultimate DPS simulator
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7wbcilaHsTecldhZm94a1gtZnM/edit

Character
    Nynja
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    He said he capped his skills on nin in 3 hours, parrying falls under that...
    (0)

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast