Very low download speeds during version updates

What the topic says.

This issue seems to be repeating itself every time there is an update. I understand that there is a lot of simultaneous users trying to get to the update files at the same time, but currently the update is ticking away at (at most) 15 kB/s. I cannot think of any other online game that updates slower than FF11. Not even free-to-play games.

Maybe this is a wild guess, but I've got a feeling it would help tremendously if there were update mirrors located in Europe and the United States.

Please don't ask me to check my internet connection. I am very confident that it is in perfect order, seeing as I can download files from other commercial servers over 200 times faster, and that is not an exaggeration.
    (1)
    Last edited by Mirage; 09-20-2011 at 04:51 AM.

Character
    Chistenko
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 40
    It is pretty annoying.
    I calculated that I was getting about 5.69kb/s plus the update keeps dying part way through, forcing me to restart from the beginning every time.

My downspeed caps at about 1.1MB/s.

Still, the only reason is because so many people are trying to do the exact same thing we are.
    Makes you wonder where subscription fees go to when they give us download servers like this...
    (0)

What actually annoys me the most is how easy is actually is to circumvent this problem. Considering some people who are lucky enough to get a fast download can download the game, make a torrent, and then start distributing this torrent fast enough for me to be better off with using this method rather than getting it from official servers, it seems very easy to do.

So, why doesn't SE create a torrent of the update files, and include a tiny custom program which detects where POL is installed, then extracts the files there? Even if we had to manually find the install directories and extract it there, I would be satisfied. They could slap on a warning on the torrent saying "For advanced users only,official support for torrents is not available". I would still use it.
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    The torrent thing is probably a better solution, but SE could also pay a temporary hosting solution like Amazon for patch days when the patch is larger then 10MB.

Actually, that would probably eat into SE's profits (and thus might not be a realistic expectation, considering). Releasing a torrent version of the update for users with either a limited connection or limited patience is probably the best solution.
    (0)

Character
    Kigensuro
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    i agree that this update was painfully slow(mine was around 20kbm took over 1.5hr to download not including having to restart 20 separate times)

but i agree if SE would have a torrent file then it would get spread a hole lot faster and even faster as more people downloaded it
    (0)

Player
    PS2 Limitation.lol
    (0)

Support Rep
    Mirage,

As noted in the general forum rules, this forum is for the discussion of technical issues. All suggestions or feedback for FINAL FANTASY XI should be directed through the appropriate avenues offered on the SQUARE ENIX Support Center. Unfortunately, since this situation does not involve any technical trouble, we have had to lock the thread.

The SQUARE ENIX Support Center for North American accounts can be found at this link:
    SQUARE ENIX Support Center

The SQUARE ENIX Support Centre for European accounts can be found at this link:
    SQUARE ENIX Support Centre

The SQUARE ENIX Support Center for Japanese accounts can be found at this link:
    SQUARE ENIX Support Center
    (0)