Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Ildaron
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Some Red Mage Fun!

Hello everyone, I am an old school RDM player. Rom back in the days when being in the front line was acceptable if we could keep up with the refreshes, enfeebling, back up cures, with an occasional magic burst tossed in. (Remember refreshing a party of six people with magic points?)

Now I am not looking to do this in any parties right now, but I want to have some fun beating up some monsters. What I need help with is picking up some gear which will allow me to toy around solo. Any advice would be most welcomed on what weapons/armor to get. I do have one requirement. I am not looking to spend months to get the best of the best. This is a spare time task for pure fun. I am not looking to solo NMs. I am presently a level 90 RDM.
    (0)

Player
    What are you trying to say?
    (0)

Character
    Rivicus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I think Hes trying to say he needs help with gear sets, while attempting to off flamers but justifying it lol. But honestly It's not very hard to understand the principle of a standard TP and WS set, and cast sets for spells when needed.

But, Protips go.

- Dagger's tend to be the better Main-hand pre-empyrean weapon due to Evisceration, grab a Blau for your main hand and a Joyususe for your off-hand thats at least a decent start that requires little effort and gil nowadays.

- Dusk Hands and Feet are still our best haste pieces, Walahra Turban is always great for Head Piece and shouldent be too hard to come by if you have the Imperial Standing. Swift Belt is easy is to come by now that should give you your first 14% easily, other haste gears take effort or alot of gil (i.e. dusk +1 and Swift Belt)

- Red Mage Lacks alot in the accuracy department, sense you don't have access to alot of the higher tier haste pieces focus on acc for tping. a Simple Scorpion Harness should do you fine, sadly most of our other body pieces require work or are rare things to find on AH. Focusing on Acc in these slots keeps your rings open for STR and DEX rings if you can cap your acc.

- For Weapon Skills its as simple as focusing on WS mods. Acc and Atk help as well, to a lesser extent.

- Assuming you do plan to work on a non-melee build taking advantage of a good enhancing set along with composure will help you deal more dmg in the long run due to not casting as often. an Enfeebling set is pretty much also required solo for casting de-buffs on mobs.
    (0)
    Last edited by Trangnai; 03-20-2011 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Main hand dagger not off-hand >.>

Character
    Kuvo
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    My solo gear isn't the greatest but as a rdm it would take a lot to boost our warrior stats like str, dex, and agi. So i seem to focus on increasing our already powerful stats like MND, IND, MP, enfeebling and enhancing gear. Enhancing being a strong focus. I don't waste my time with increasing dex or str since we would need to increase more then 30 points in each stat line to be usefull. So in all actuallity I use and macro a lot of my party gear. Rings, earrings, cape, and weapons will make up the differences in either MP or accuracy or whatever is needed. This depends on what I plan on doing that day either hard hitting NMs solo or just farming. Sorry I don't has specific gear to list for you but my advice would be to focus increasing what our job traits already are enhancing with a few gear selections to acc, haste, or fastcast.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuvo View Post
    My solo gear isn't the greatest but as a rdm it would take a lot to boost our warrior stats like str, dex, and agi. So i seem to focus on increasing our already powerful stats like MND, IND, MP, enfeebling and enhancing gear. Enhancing being a strong focus. I don't waste my time with increasing dex or str since we would need to increase more then 30 points in each stat line to be usefull. So in all actuallity I use and macro a lot of my party gear. Rings, earrings, cape, and weapons will make up the differences in either MP or accuracy or whatever is needed. This depends on what I plan on doing that day either hard hitting NMs solo or just farming. Sorry I don't has specific gear to list for you but my advice would be to focus increasing what our job traits already are enhancing with a few gear selections to acc, haste, or fastcast.
    don't pay attention to this guy. First off, focus on haste and acc (make sure you have a good enhancing skill as well for your enspell damage). This is to maximize your DoT. Next focus on your WS set. This of course depends on which WS you are using. If you are using Chant du Cygne (which I highly recommend, 2.5k WSs (or higher if using Almace) on RDM rock!), you'll want to focus mainly on DEX. If you're doing Aeolian Edge to kill massive amounts of mobs at once... then you'll want to WS in nuking type gear (INT/MAB) but also throw in DEX as well if for some reason you don't have a decent INT/MAB for that armor slot.
    (0)

Character
    Nepharite
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 90
    Gear for haste/acc/att for tp like a normal DD would:

http://www.ffxiah.com/members/item-sets?id=204492

Build yourself a WS set that works best for the specific ws your going to use.
    Use Marinara Pizza.

Remember that each time you cast a spell, you are going to lower your overall melee dmg.
    (0)

Character
    Hoshiku
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    It seems like for rdm melee the same things that were good at 75 are still good at 90. Nepharite's set is nice... you might find zelus tiara hard to get (but turban is a fine substitute). Basically haste and double attack are your friends... some acc is nice and store tp is always great. When I solo on RDM I swap between 5 different gear sets: buff casting set (with fastcast and - spell interrupt), int enfeeb set, mnd enfeeb set, melee set, and ws set... I think most of the gear I use is easy to obtain.
    (0)

Character
    Nepharite
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoshi View Post
    It seems like for rdm melee the same things that were good at 75 are still good at 90. Nepharite's set is nice... you might find zelus tiara hard to get (but turban is a fine substitute). Basically haste and double attack are your friends... some acc is nice and store tp is always great. When I solo on RDM I swap between 5 different gear sets: buff casting set (with fastcast and - spell interrupt), int enfeeb set, mnd enfeeb set, melee set, and ws set... I think most of the gear I use is easy to obtain.
    Haha, I wish I had that tp set for rdm. It was just one already built and shows what you should aim for. (in terms of maximizing haste/acc/att and showing what is available)
    But as Hoshi mentions, carrying different gear sets will definitely help you maximize what you can do with rdm.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nepharite; 03-16-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Character
    Kuvo
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Protey View Post
    don't pay attention to this guy. First off, focus on haste and acc (make sure you have a good enhancing skill as well for your enspell damage). This is to maximize your DoT. Next focus on your WS set. This of course depends on which WS you are using. If you are using Chant du Cygne (which I highly recommend, 2.5k WSs (or higher if using Almace) on RDM rock!), you'll want to focus mainly on DEX. If you're doing Aeolian Edge to kill massive amounts of mobs at once... then you'll want to WS in nuking type gear (INT/MAB) but also throw in DEX as well if for some reason you don't have a decent INT/MAB for that armor slot.
    Wow abyssea truly brought the stupid out of people but I guess you have your opinions. Inside abyssea sure the rules change but outside it depends on what your trying to solo. HNMs, Gods, etc I wouldn't go with a TP building set since your feeding the mob TP as well and as rdm we can't outlast going toe to toe with high level mobs like that. Like I said it depends on what you are going to fight and outlast.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuvo View Post
    Wow abyssea truly brought the stupid out of people but I guess you have your opinions. Inside abyssea sure the rules change but outside it depends on what your trying to solo. HNMs, Gods, etc I wouldn't go with a TP building set since your feeding the mob TP as well and as rdm we can't outlast going toe to toe with high level mobs like that. Like I said it depends on what you are going to fight and outlast.
    the OP said he wasn't looking to solo NMs... at least pay attention to what the OP said before you post calling people stupid, cuz you're the one that looks stupid.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast