Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Aladdin dodged the guards attacks but pretty much got fucked by Jafar when he started using magic on him. Clearly this shows thfs avoidance doesn't stretch to magic.

On a more serious note it really doesn't make much sense for thf to get magic evasion if you think about it. Although it'd be handy it just doesn't fit in with our job description or as far as i'm aware the job description of thfs throughout ff games.
    If your determined then get a MDT- set to further fill up your bagspace and swap in for nasty -Ga's but out from that just bring a whm and suck it up. :s
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by CebPtolemy View Post
    Aladdin dodged the guards attacks but pretty much got fucked by Jafar when he started using magic on him. Clearly this shows thfs avoidance doesn't stretch to magic.
    Awesome. But yeah, THFs weren't build to last, if any melee deserves a MDB trait it should be MNK. THFs can already tank way better than they were intended for, right up there with MNK and NIN, I have a sneaking suspicion SE may change that somehow.
    (0)

Character
    Pesh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife View Post
    if SE wants THF up on the front line stabbing NMs with their daggers to proc TH (which without giving us subtle blow I think is unlikely to happen in a lot of situations) they'll have to give us something.
    I hate to burst your bubble, but plenty of THF are on the front line tanking NMs already. My LS has me on the mob full time and our other DDs will gain TP on exp mobs then run in for WS before backing out. When a spell hits me, I'm usually one taking the LEAST amount of damage.

THF isn't like any of the other DDs. You have to use your head and adapt to every situation (mostly through your gear swaps). That's what makes the job enjoyable rather than some static DD that just smashes a WS macro.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    THFs can already tank way better than they were intended for, right up there with MNK and NIN, I have a sneaking suspicion SE may change that somehow.
    I doubt it. A smart THF will always find a way to ride the hate line. A smart THF is always waiting for the Collaborator timer to come up and they'll cycle the people they're hitting with it (you'd be surprised how much hate you can keep just by using Collaborator on your WHM). So you're managing people's hate by keeping their enmity down while increasing yours and if you lose hate to a DD, you just slap a nice SA-WS off and boom, more hate.

With more and more low man situations, I think SE is giving us a lot more options when it comes to jobs. I highly doubt they'll take that away.
    (0)
    Paragon of Pigtails Excellence!

Character
    Taliesn
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I hate to burst your bubble, but plenty of THF are on the front line tanking NMs already.
    Oh I know this & I'm very pleased to see it but I was talking more about NMs with especially nasty TP moves -which alot of the higher tier ones have- usually I see groups fighting these with DNC, NIN or MNK tanks & not wanting anyone else on the mob. This is especually the case if your low manning something without a lot of support. Generally as a job though -now more so than ever before- THF feeds mobs a lot of TP I'd like to see something to mitigate this without the need to be /NIN all the time.

With more and more low man situations, I think SE is giving us a lot more options when it comes to jobs. I highly doubt they'll take that away.
    I sincerely hope your right but historically this has not been the case.
    (0)

Character
    Capnspike
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    THF Lv 90
    I see all of your points about utilizing existing gear to build up defense against magic attacks, but I"m mainly referring to eating a -ga IV V while not so prepared, then having to be cure bombed the 1.2k+ damage you've just taken.

For those saying a thf's ability to "evade" magic isn't really in line with thf's "evasion"... please keep in mind, that stealing haste makes no sense at all either...

I'm not talking about anything wacky or game breaking. Just the ability that occ reduces magic damage from 1.2k to 900-1k, with a low change to block 50% or lower.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Capn View Post
    I'm not talking about anything wacky or game breaking. Just the ability that occ reduces magic damage from 1.2k to 900-1k, with a low change to block 50% or lower.
    What you're suggesting is either pointless or game breaking depending on the proc rate.

But i still don't see your rational behind wanting this other than to make healers jobs easier. If you want it for tanking/soloing heavy -ga wielding mobs without a -mdt set the proc rate would have to be huge. Or if you do indeed just want it to make the whms job easier in a non tanking capacity i'd suggest the answer to your problem would be to just find a better whm.

End of the day we're a dps class who can currently effectively tank the majority of Aby better than, or on par with Nin's. Our survivability isn't really something that needs to be buffed.
    (0)

Character
    Capnspike
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    THF Lv 90
    I see it being more useful than mug (currently) and despoil. Just because it's not as useful as adding an attack boost or damage bonus doesn't mean it wouldn't be a nice addition to our arsenal.

Besides, losing less HP from a -ga makes bolting HP back much easier, and those solo fights slightly less stressful.
    (0)

Character
    Pesh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife View Post
    Oh I know this & I'm very pleased to see it but I was talking more about NMs with especially nasty TP moves -which alot of the higher tier ones have(
    Thieves can tank these too. Nothing in Abyssea is too terribly frightening if you're properly geared/Atma'd for it. Many of the NMs use spells and TP moves of one elemental alignment. Meaning between the +100 resistance Atma, bar spell, and maybe a Carol or two, you are well prepared for anything that comes your way.
    (0)
    Paragon of Pigtails Excellence!

Character
    Rambus
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    hmmm I doono i think magic evade is more for casters or PLD
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Spending Gil = Game balance, next question please tia
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    They're reading and agreeing that these are very good ideas.... to be implemented to rune fencer.

Just like any good suggestions in the RDM thread get applied to SCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Capn View Post
    I see it being more useful than mug (currently) and despoil. Just because it's not as useful as adding an attack boost or damage bonus doesn't mean it wouldn't be a nice addition to our arsenal.

Besides, losing less HP from a -ga makes bolting HP back much easier, and those solo fights slightly less stressful.
    If you want to lose less HP from an -aga spell, use -MDT gear. It's simple really, and it's wildly effective. After Scars came out, I finally forced myself to stop half-assing my MDT set. These days, I don't die nearly as often as I used to since I take substantially less magic damage.

Aim for roughly ~25% MDT in gear. Shell 4/5 will get you close to or over the -50% cap on MDT (I forget the exact -MDT% numbers on Shell4). Here's what I use:

Avalon Breastplate (-5% MDT)
    Twilight Torque (-5% Damage Taken)
    Merman's Earring (two of them at -4% MDT total)
    Dark Ring (two of them at -12% MDT total [among other defensive stats])

-26% MDT overall.

Some of that gear is expensive or r/ex, so other good options include the Level 66/67 Coral Harness set and Merman's Rings. It'll take up more inventory space, but it works just the same.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast