Character
    Atg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

Please help me decide on what gear to get

Hello
    I leeched my way up to level 90, only used BLM as a subjob so I'm kinda lost.
    I don't want to buy gear that I would stop using after getting level 90.
    Also, AF pieces..

What's worth getting? (other than AF3+2 cause I'm currently working on those, plus trials Staff)

(I don't have any gear for BLM, not even past AFs)
    (0)

Character
    Bubeeky
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 92
    Most important thing to get is the spells, especially the TIV nukes, as expensive as they are, because those are your Aby triggers.

Easy things to get that will do you well are the Goetia Cape, Moldavite Earring, INT Rings (Snow Rings are really cheap these days), Witchstone, Goetia Chain, Goetia Earring, and Searing Sash. For the visible gear (head, body, hands, etc) I'd recommend going for the Literae Set until you get your AF3+1, if you don't have it already...Literae can give you a lot of MAB.

I'm sure there's better gear out there than what I mentioned, but those pieces should get you decently outfitted to go after the bigger things.
    (0)
    Love life, dare to dream, and LIVE ON PURPOSE!
    Also make sure to beat up any evil elvaans along the way, as we all know tarus are the ultimate race.

half of the Teal set from abyssea is nice to start with for black mage (and it's very easy to get) the Igqira/Genie set is also a great place to start.
    (0)

Assuming that you actually capped everything on RDM, you still have gimped dark magic and elemental magic, so until you cap those, it doesn't really matter what you wear, you're still gimped.
    (0)

Character
    Quedari
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    Assuming that you actually capped everything on RDM, you still have gimped dark magic and elemental magic, so until you cap those, it doesn't really matter what you wear, you're still gimped.
    Oh look, here you are spouting the same crap as you did in his thread on the WHM forums. Assuming his RDM had capped skills at 75 and he's used his RDM from 75-90, his magic skill should be far from "gimp". Gear can help his magic accuracy for ele and dark, within reason. As I said before, if you're not going to help, don't bother posting.

For AF, the body is nice for enfeeb+10 and the legs are nice for dark+15. The hands have elemental+15, but if you're reasonably past the level 75 cap for ele, you'll probably do better with eradicos mitts (100% drop from Ulhuadshi) or AF3+1/+2. Literae head with INT+3 augment and Literae body with MAB+3-5 are probably the two best literae pieces for BLM. I personally used teal pants instead of hoping for literae pants augments until I got AF3+2 pants (got +1 and +2 on the same day, yay for Gukumatz and Sobek spams). If you have bad luck with literae augments, teal head and body are good place holders until AF3+1/+2. Igqira head and legs are good for enfeeb, if you don't need to conserve inventory. I use cognition belt instead of searing sash because I can use cognition for my RDM, and I couldn't tell you how much of a damage difference there is, if there is one. Searing Cape is nice (from Turul), fairly easy to get if you find a group hunting Loki's Kaftans as cape seems to be the more common drop. Goetia Chain was a pain to get, even with blue!! the drop rate was bad. Artemis' Medal beats Goetia Chain when moon phase is above 30%/40%, I believe, and even with less than 40% moon you just gain more magic acc. If you need the inventory space, you can just use Artemis', but for max damage you'll want Goetia Chain or Feud Pendant for mp over 50% and an Uggalepih pendant for mp under 50%. Bubeeky's list above is good, especially the note about proc spells. If you don't already have HQ ele staves from RDM, buying a cheap NQ or HQ will get you by until your magian staves surpass them.
    (0)
    Last edited by Quedari; 09-15-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: i speel guud
    Quedari: WHM BLM RDM SMN SCH BLU BRD RUN GEO
    Mykaell: BLM RDM WAR DNC WHM THF SCH RUN

Player
    Rdm has E dark and C- elemental skill, so yes even if he was capped on Rdm it would still be gimped, not that it matters much unless you're getting resisted heavily. I would care more if atmas/cruor buffs/readily available temp items didn't make up the difference (my friend leeched Blm up and aside from horrible returns on drain/aspir until skill was closer to capped MM/Ultimate/(Affinty atma of the week and you'll still do more damage than an alliance full of gimps).
    (0)
    Last edited by Neisan_Quetz; 09-17-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Character
    Katz
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 57
    Go delevel your blm, learn the job next time you level it, then learn where you are weakest and what gear you need to buy.
    (1)

Player
    Blm isn't hard unless you're mentally retarded. Rdm is more complicated
    (1)

Character
    Epysian
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 91
    Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    Go delevel your blm, learn the job next time you level it, then learn where you are weakest and what gear you need to buy.
    Because BLM is such a hard job to learn. Learn where you are weakest? What?

Anyway, for the OP, Bubeeky made some good suggestions. I believe an ideal nuking set would be something like:
    HQ or Magian Damage staff/Bugard +1(unless there's a new grip i missed)/nothing/Witchstone
    AF3+2/Goetia Necklace/Hecate's Earring/Moldavite
    AF3+2/AF3+2/INT rings (preferably +7 from Abyssea-Vunkerl gold boxes)
    Searing Cape/Cognition Belt/AF3+2/AF3+2

Unless I'm missing something I think that's the best you can get for now, barring Novio but if you have that you would know to use it I assume. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Uggy Pendant. It still has uses in a nuking set, even with all the Refresh you have in Abyssea you'll still end up below half MP sometimes. As far as AF1, I would say go after the legs and body, both are good holdovers until you get Portent Pants and AF3+2 body. Relic hat is decent for high resist stuff until you have the AF3+2 head, relic legs are a must have and relic hands are nice for a dark magic set. If you don't have a refresh body like the AF3+1 or 2 body, go after Sorcerer's Coat I suppose, but that time would probably be better spend hunting down body seals.

Also, make sure you have a few different sets to toss on depending on the situation. Enfeebling is one of your most important sets, look into Igqira legs and head like Darkwizard mentioned. The AF body is good for that, then later replace that with AF body +1 or AF3+2 body. Enfeebling torque is not too expensive. You don't need nearly as much Mind gear as you used to in order to cap Stoneskin if your enhancing is capped but you should still be carrying around some big MND pieces like Mahatma slops and Errant/Mahatma Houppelande to cast that in. Go after items like Siegal Sash and Haven Hose for a beter stoneskin too. And invest in a decent idle set with some -physical damage taken items like Cheviot/Umbra Cape, it can and will save your life.
    (0)

Character
    Retsujo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Quedari View Post
    Oh look, here you are spouting the same crap as you did in his thread on the WHM forums.
    Obvious troll is obvious, I would've just ignored her. You do make some good points, however.
    (0)
    Through the confinement of Valefor I found myself in the depths of Hades. It was there that I was thrown into Cerberus' Den. Only through Carbuncle's light could I find my way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast