Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Infidi
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99

Public Quest type system?

Anyone think this would be an awesome and exciting addition to our beloved FFXI? I'm sure if it was implemented it would have to be part of an expansion or something. They might be able to do it more in Abyssea or maybe new zones. Besieged is similar to it but not really. :P

For anyone not familiar with this type of system that's being used in MMOs such as WAR(Warhammer Online), its like this: http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Public_Quest

Here's a basic Overview from wiki:

Public Quests typically involve several (most commonly 3) stages and conclude with a large fight against one or more Hero tier opponents. When a public quest is completed, each player who participated will receive a reward based on his contribution to the whole. Most public quests are confined to PvE zones and as such only indirectly affect RvR.

Each stage of a public quest is composed of a primary task that must be completed in order to advance to the next stage. Stages beyond the first are typically timed, and can involve various objectives. These include, but are not limited to, item collection, character protection, and defeating specific opponents. In some instances a single task will involve more than one objective, and may also include sub-objectives that must be achieved in order to move on to the next task. If a task is not completed within the time allotted, the public quest is failed and restarts shortly there after.

So... thoughts? Maybe the 'Daily Reward System' in the outlook is something similar to this, I dunno. :/
    (0)

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    PEE
    ESS
    TWO

limitations
    (1)

Character
    Infidi
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I'm thinking future type stuff where maybe FFXI's aged relative has been put out to pasture? Hahaha. Like the chocobo I haven't fed in six months >.>....
    (0)

Player
    This sounds like Nyzul Isle from the description? Except for the rewards distribution part.
    (2)

Player
    That system sounds pretty much like floors 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 of Nyzul Isle to me. So, I'd say something very similar is already in FFXI.

Also, I think I'd have better luck licking a choice spot on the floor of the general public restroom than completing a challenging task with the general public of FFXI. Changing imaginary trousers and casting Paralyna can be daunting tasks to some.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Warhammer online sucks.
    (0)

Character
    Sayn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 95
    Great idea, long as they don't screw the mages like they did with Campaign 1.0. New changes have alleviated the lolblmmeleeing situation to where they can actually play blm like a blm and not like a gimp meleeing while trying to cast spells, but that first implementation was god-awful for a pure-mage job.
    (0)

Character
    Sabaa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Topic starter have you ever done nyzul?
    (0)

Character
    Scaevola
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Walk of Echoes is a direct descendant of Warhammer Online's Public Quest system. Seriously.

Of course, it was a rather poorly-implemented take on it; I've voiced my reservations about the WoE revamp but hopefully the upcoming changes will bring it closer to PQs.

(also, Alhanalem: Warhammer Online has like a BAZILLION problems but Public Quests aren't one of them)
    (0)
    Last edited by scaevola; 09-16-2011 at 05:34 AM.
    tandava crackows + chocobo jig + animated flourish = prouesse ring

Character
    Infidi
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by svengalis View Post
    Topic starter have you ever done nyzul?
    Yep, sure have. ^^ Floor 100 done and got a couple ws unlocked that I wanted unlocked. Not sure why a few people think Nyzule is very similar. >.> It is a bit similar in regards to randomized objectives and floor layouts, but Public Quests (In Warhammer's and Rift's versions), are out in the open, ANYONE can join from your 'faction' in the case of previously mentioned MMOs, but FFXI doesn't have factions per-say, so fundamentally it would be anyone able to join in. PQs are "do this thing to unlock the 2nd part, then do this thing to unlock the final part and get some phat lewt for your time." Nyzule is similar in regards to achieving higher tiers of floors, but I guess I'm not getting how the two are so similar?

Nyzule has "Randomized floor layouts, random monsters, random 'boss mobs', randomized objectives to an extent, and limited treasure drops from the random mobs/aside from boss floors.". PQs would have: "Static objectives , static monsters(potentially random to make it fresh) , but most importantly: It doesn't take forever to do to get to the 'phat lewt'. Maybe half hour of your time to do whatever the PQ type system would entail and you get your stuff. Of course this FFXI we're talking about, so it might end up being like Voidwatch chests...hopefully not. :P

I guess my main point in being is that the PQ type system that SE might implement into FFXI would be very loosely similiar to Nyzule Isle. You happen upon the events already taking place "Stage 1, 2, or 3" Help finish that part if you choose/wait till its done, then it starts from scratch.

*shrug* Just figured it might be something cool to add. ^^
    (0)
    Last edited by Infidi; 09-16-2011 at 07:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast