Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Serei
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    5 years from now... HEY all you drk's guess what your dev at SE are finally giving you.... Scythe mastery... enjoy..

love the idea of the teirII absorbs. would be nice if see would fix dread spikes... cause i find it funny that every time i use it.. it seems more like a PD for me...
    (1)

I shall dance upon thy grave.

Character
    Zoner
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    The trouble with MOST of not ALL sub job abilties is that the can be gain by subbing appropriate sub jobs. SE good job planning this out. It's not SE fault players want everything and not willi g to use the sub job systems to the fullest.

For those that don't understand let me try to explain...the sub job system is a system of game balance and player choice. To gain in one area, one must sacrific in another area. Magic and might are polar opposites in this game. If a dark knight wants to captalize on might they need to sub melee jobs. If on the other hand they want to capitalize on magic they need to sacrifice might and sub a magic job. The greater one leans to either side the more lacking they become in the other.

As far as the OP.
    Darkness? Huh? Why not just opt for a dark based damage spell? Could even have severals tiers.
    Unholy sacrifice.... This actually sounds good, but "non-elemental" damage? Darkness based is bread and butter of a Darkknight.
    Dark stance.... Forget it. Stances and 2hour special boost are already played out.
    Black sky...no way, Jose. Overpowered.
    Demi- I do like the idea, but I'd settle on disease/virus spells such as plague and curse. Curse is after all what Demi is.
    Spirit drain- is a wonderful suggestion...however, 95% of DRK DON'T bother casting spells other than drain and stun.
    Ultima- this pushing the envelope too much of a dark's casting ability.
    Dark celerity- love this. However this falls into the sub job argument. Sub a redmage or scholar for faster casting options.
    Counter tackle- sub monk if you want counter. Or get counter gear.

@Cljader... What a wonderful concept. Combine dark damage AND absorb tier 2 spells. Add non-decaying effects for set durations and you would have a perfect suggestions..even going so far and eliminating the need for a "dark" spell.

Just as an aside... I'd like to reiterate my suggestion about "soul eater" being adjusted to work for both melee AND magic spells. Perhaps even slapping a "fast-cast" effect while under the effects of Souleater(at cost of add HP drain for spell use).
    The majority of what I posted is basically copy and paste of what SE gave dark knights in previous installments of Final Fantasy.

Darkness has almost always been a job ability rather then a spell, also consider how much easier it would be able to use it while a monster is beating on you rather then a spell. As for having several tiers I highly doubt SE is going to completely overhaul DRK, they tend to take the easiest way out.

Dark Covenant is a spin on Covenant taken from Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon in which it doubles attack power but halves defense. SE never did give DRK a stance type ability, so I thought if SE gives us some meaningful spells, wouldn't you like some way to maximize their potential without it being a single shot deal like Nether Void or Dark Seal?

Your right about Unholy Sacrifice being dark based, it's taken from Final Fantasy Tactics, but I would rather see it be non-elemental like Mijin Gakure because SE has coded almost all the monsters in FFXI to resist dark based attacks as a counter to the days in which people abused the sleep spell.

Why have Black Sky? Because SE never gave us any good dark based attack spells much less a aoe spell. If I wanted to include something that was overpowered I would of included the spell Apocalypse in which it does does massive non-elemental damage, approximately twice as much as Ultima, around 4,000+ minimum.

Demi because one of the spells most wanted spells is a dark based alternative to holy. My version in more like higher tier of gravity in which it does damage plus give weight effect. Why not give this to red mage you might say? Because we are supposed to be the masters of dark magic.

How many exp/merit parties do you get put into a group with no refresh and fighting a mob with no native MP pool? Even just using stun and drain your eventually gonna run out of MP, not to mention if you use dread spikes. That is where Spirit Drain could really help.

Ultima is more of wishful thinking, I doubt SE would give it to us but hey I can dream right? On a side note I realize in FFXI SE prefers spells to have an elemental affiliation, so if it being non-elemental is a problem how about making it so its affiliation changes depending on the day; ie cast it on a Earth Day its earth based, cast it on a Light Day its light based, cast it on a Fire Day its fire based,etc so it always gets the day of the week bonus.

Dark Celerity because.... do you really wanna sub red mage?

Counter Tackle is taken from Final Fantasy Tactics and is not the same as counter. Counter cancels a targets attack with an attack of your own. Counter Tackle more resembles the Counter Attack Materia in FFVII in which you still take damage but get a chance to retaliate with a physical attack of your own, it matters not if the damage taken is physical, spell, or other.

I do agree, however, that Cljader's suggestions on tier II absorbs are very good.
    (1)

Character
    Yukichibi
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoner View Post
    Demi- In previous final fantasy titles Demi traditionally took a set percentage of HP from it's target, however in FFXI I'd like to see it as instant cast dark based spell similar to Holy with the added effect of gravity.

Holy

Final Fantasy Tactics

Learned by the White Mage, Holy is White Magic that costs 600 JP to learn. It costs 56 MP to use and has a speed of 17. Unlike many offensive spells in the game which can be learned by the player, Holy ignores all of the target's magic evasion, unless the target has immunity against holy-elemental. Holy is also considered to be the best attack spell to be calculated.

Unholy Darkness, also known as Dark Holy, is a Dark-elemental based version of the Holy spell. It targets a single square, with no extended range and ignores magickal evasions. The animation sequence is the same as Holy but in black and violet tone, accompanied by deeper sound effect and a crow's caw. The spell is not available to any playable character, but is instead accessible to Archaeodaemons and Ultima Demons, minions of the Lucavi. Knight Templar Sorcerer Cletienne Duroi can also use Unholy Darkness.

In the PS version, there is also a chance that the caster will chant, "Bright light, shine down on bloody impurity! Holy!", and "Aurora, exhale bloody air! Dark Holy!", for Dark Holy.
    Already exist in previous FF, so why not.
    (2)
    30/05/2004 PLD - PUP - COR - SCH

Character
    Dirtyfinger
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    How much better would DRK be if: Endark and Dread spikes were JAs instead of magic.
    (0)
    Masamune
    Arma up next!

Character
    Armangetto
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    To: Cljader1 I dont think we are geting the dark magic fast cast or the absorb fixes this update, but they did mention we were eventuly going to get them. My bet... either the next mini update or the lvl 99 cap.
    (0)

Character
    Urteil
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Armangetto View Post
    You guys know we are geting drk magic fast cast and non decaying absorbs / absorbs readjusted right?
    No we are going to get Tactical Parry II.
    (2)

Character
    Armangetto
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    They are also going to readjust the rate of parry and guard skill up as well as redo everyones parry rankings.I dunno why people asking for dark celberity, absorbs fixes and better parry skill when SE said they are going to do that for us? Its like people forgot about it.

Ill just drop this here.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...nifesto/page26
    (1)
    Last edited by Armangetto; 09-11-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Character
    Urteil
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Armangetto View Post
    They are also going to readjust the rate of parry and guard skill up as well as redo everyones parry rankings.I dunno why people asking for dark celberity, absorbs fixes and better parry skill when SE said they are going to do that for us? Its like people forgot about it.

Ill just drop this here.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...nifesto/page26

SE says a lot of things.

And does none of them.
    (1)

Character
    Darkchris
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Urteil View Post
    SE says a lot of things.

And does none of them.
    Oh they do for the jobs they love but after that 2nd crew came in dark is in the toilet and will remain there.
    (1)

Character
    Kinas
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 90
    Make Guillotine or Insurgency a crit ws.
    Do nothing else to DRK.
    DRK is acceptable again.
    (2)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast