Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Samurai Archers

Character
    Hyden
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I wouldn't mind seeing some adjustments to SAM's archery/ranged attack skills either.

It's a little ridiculous that SAM can use a relic weapon it only has C+ skill in. Seriously, SAM has higher skill in polearm and no access to the relic. It's pretty silly to not at least make archery B- (or higher!).

SE is obviously trying to throw SAM archers a bone w/ the Unkai Kote, but one piece of gear doesn't really cut it.

I really like the OP's suggestions for additions to Hasso/Siegan. I don't think mutually exclusive benefits to ranged attacks would be too much ask for really.

Overwhelm: Is there any good reason this doesn't work on ranged WSs? "Grants a damage bonus to weapons skill performed face-to-face with an enemy" seems like it should.

Velocity Shot: they could at least give us access to Velocity Shot when /RNG. I don't use /RNG often with Yoichi, but I think giving us Velocity Shot as a SAM JA might not really fit.

And while I'm talking about Yoichi, the new TP boost SAM JA is kinda a kick-in-the-nuts to relic users. I know they said it'd at least save us a hit towards next WS, but all it's really doing is boosting Masamune again. Extending aftermath for Amano/Yoichi just isn't quite as cool :/
    (3)
    Last edited by Hyden; 09-18-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Good to see I am not alone in this regard.

Yoichi-bow has always been sort of a dream of mine that I would probably take up again once I get back into Dynamis.

I would however really like to emphasise the magian bows again. Gandiva would be awesome of course, as would its retarded cousin for Jishnu's Radiance but understandable if that is out of the question. I'm still quite happy with Refulgent Arrow. Personally regarding reasonable bows, the fire based Bateleur or any of the Sparrowhawks would be much more up a Sam's alley. You'd see non-/rangers getting these trials too, if it meant extra STp or 9 more STR.

The problem with Sparrowhawk trials is again, they would be incompletable due to a lack of necessary WS.
    (1)

Character
    Hyden
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvish View Post
    You'd see non-/rangers getting these trials too, if it meant extra STp or 9 more STR.
    I'm guessing this is the main reason why ToM bows aren't available to non-RNGs. But it's not like it'd be anymore overpowered than any other dual wield options. Unless dual wield jobs were allowed to use bows too i guess... Idk, i really don't see the hurt in putting SAM on ToM bows too.
    (0)
    Last edited by Hyden; 09-19-2011 at 01:30 AM.

Character
    Yawaru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 90
    Personally I've never played around much with /RNG but I completely agree they should expand on it. They obviously had it in mind when they put RNG on the relic bow but never really developed it. I highly doubt they'd put SAM on RNG trials because they'd necessarily be on Gandiva as well. Not that I wouldn't LOVE Jishnu's Radiance on SAM but I don't see them doing that. A SAM with it's TPing abilities would be able to spam it constantly and stack the skillchain bonus damage on double light SCs. Again, would love to do it, but I'm pretty sure SE would see that as overpowered.

As far as not having Archery WS native to SAM, it doesn't make sense. Just look at all the jobs with C+ or lower skill and imagine taking their WS for those weapons away. If you're even remotely proficient in a weapon you should be able to use it regardless of the sub. I think models like Dagger WSs are better, you get some of the WS but not all of them, and you're missing some of the important ones for weakness procs. SAM should have Flaming Arrow, Piercing Arrow, Sidewinder, Empyreal Arrow and Refulgent Arrow natively, that gives them 2 of the 4 blue procs so it doesn't take the place of RNG but is still able to use a bow. And it's not like /RNG would be useless, you'd still get all the useful traits and JA like Accuracy bonus, sharpshot and barrage. Oh and scavenge, cause scavenge is cool right?

A bump in skill would be nice too but I think the weapon assortment is more of an issue. Plus it's not like being able to equip a bow with +9 STR would make or break the game, since people still need White Tathlum for their TP build which is more important than extra strength.
    (1)

Character
    Vandheer
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    I just wanted to pitch in to help this point of view get noticed to benefit all fellow Samurai out there. ^^ Ever since the level raise from 75 I've been very curious why sam/rng has become so limited, or even why samurai and their ability to use archery is so limited. Samurai had access to the Relic bow Yoichinoyumi but since then we haven't gotten much to turn towards using archery as a viable part of samurai. There isn't much I can add to this thread that has not already been said but I agree with the previous suggestions made by Delvish, Hyden, and Yawaru.

Come on SE stop teasing us with Unkai Kote and let us get more usage out of Archery and Ranger Sub.
    (0)
    Last edited by Vandheer; 09-24-2011 at 03:00 AM.
    ~ BST 99, SAM 96, DRG 96, BLU 91, THF 90 ~
    http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Leviathan/Vandheer

Character
    Darkbass
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I Feel this is a viable request. With the game changing like it is now, sam with b- archery skill would be very appreciated along with having native archery ws selection. I'm still holding onto my insane amount or RACC gear just in case a new era of sam using bow(without Yoichinoyumi) is brought back.
    (0)
    The one who walks the road of Twilight. Bow to no one. Defeat everything.

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBass View Post
    I Feel this is a viable request. With the game changing like it is now, sam with b- archery skill would be very appreciated along with having native archery ws selection. I'm still holding onto my insane amount or RACC gear just in case a new era of sam using bow(without Yoichinoyumi) is brought back.
    Right there with you. I've got my /rng gear as good as it would've gotten, sans yoichibow and I've been working on keeping it up to date with recent gear additions (unkai kote, light belt, twilight gear). Racc+ was really high (90+) and I was still missing with capped and merited skill, so higher skill is quite necessary. Ontop of that though, our selection of RAtt gear has been sorely limited. That too should look into expansion.
    (0)

Character
    Vandheer
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvish View Post
    I've got my /rng gear as good as it would've gotten, sans yoichibow and I've been working on keeping it up to date with recent gear additions
    Heya, Delvish would you mind posting your gear setup in the thread? Sounds like you have a good grasp on it.
    (0)
    ~ BST 99, SAM 96, DRG 96, BLU 91, THF 90 ~
    http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Leviathan/Vandheer

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandheer View Post
    Heya, Delvish would you mind posting your gear setup in the thread? Sounds like you have a good grasp on it.
    http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/132241 is what I usually use. I haven't updated the grip but normally I use a rose grip with a stp magian GK for max tp per arrow, though Uther's grip is also valid. Haven't examined the new stuff too closely. The coselete has RAtt and Racc augment. I am open for input as you see fit too.
    (0)

Character
    Hyden
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    SAM had some decent /shooting gear back at 75 but most of it was mini-expansion augmented gear. Only problem I had was deciding which augments to go with. TP vs WS, Racc vs Ratk vs Snapshot, etc. Zha'Go's Barbut and Buccaneer's Belt deserve a mention too. It would be nice to see SAM added to some of the upcoming RNG gear perhaps.

I think the only actual Racc/Ratk upgrades SAM has gotten since 75 are like Missile Boots, Unkai Kote +2 and Clearview Earring (maybe Terebellum Mantle too actually). Stuff like Libeccio Mantle and Impulse Belt woulda been really nice. :/
    (0)
    Last edited by Hyden; 09-25-2011 at 05:17 AM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast