Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Well what SE could do is the change the BLM proc spells using tier 2-4 elemental magic and tier 1-2 ga spells, and also make Scholar Helix applicable as a proc, this way you will see BLM, SCH and RDM along with Nin, War, Mnk, Thf, Whm as part of the aby party set up. Heck in that sense, Smn/Blm could also proc albeit missing a few ga spells and tier 3. Also if you pay attention, you could go where you avoid near lightsday/darksday if you don't want to bring whm to proc light. Then again you would miss out Cure 5-6. Now if SE add Cure 5 to Sch and Rdm, then those jobs would get some love back.

The current best set up of jobs work for now because they give you the most bang for your bucks. Of course the downside to this means that half of the other jobs are not seen as useful - for low group farming - but usually fine when you go with 8 people set up. You can always level those jobs - with abyssea - it is very fast to get to lvl 90.
    (1)

Character
    Volkai
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Jobs should be invited because of their strengths, not because of procs. Adding procs to jobs that dont have as many shouldn't be necessary.
    This deserves to be reiterated.
    (1)
    "Don't take life too seriously, you can't get out of it alive."

Adoulin is installed but still not lighting up on your title screen? Here's what to do:
    Go to https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/login?cont=account and log in, then Select Service >>> PlayOnline / FINAL FANTASY XI >>> Add a service account (blue button) >>> input expansion software registration code.

Character
    Saefinn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    The current best set up of jobs work for now because they give you the most bang for your bucks. Of course the downside to this means that half of the other jobs are not seen as useful - for low group farming - but usually fine when you go with 8 people set up. You can always level those jobs - with abyssea - it is very fast to get to lvl 90.
    This is something I refuse to do. Maybe I'm just stubborn :P But then I deal with it, I think people are here to enjoy the game therefore are here to level jobs they enjoy playing. There's plenty of ways to enjoy the jobs you like, but it can be at the cost of not proccing. The best you can hope for is to be good at your favourite job and hope to get a reputation for it...90% of the time, I'm a SCH even I can't cure as well as a good WHM or cover as many procs as a Black Mage. Most people I group with have the attitude that they'd rather invite people who can play their job well rather than somebody who can hit the right procs.
    (2)
    Saefinn on Asura
    Main Jobs: Corsair: i117, Scholar: i117, Monk: i117, Summoner: i117

Character
    Siiri
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Saefinn View Post
    Most people I group with have the attitude that they'd rather invite people who can play their job well rather than somebody who can hit the right procs.
    This is usually the answer if you go with friends/link shell/ people who know you. The only people who insist on the perfect "5 person" setup is those shouting in Jueno. If you go with friends there is room for a lot of variety by either taking 6 people or just plain missing 1 or 2 procs. Abyssea is so easy who cares really. I organize all the statics in my linkshell and I often have people coming "off jobs" like drk for example and all we lose is raiden thrust on red procs compared to war. (Staff as well, but I am usually white mage with capped staff skill and I throw on VV atma)

From the day pickups started there has always been the "most perfect setup" that the shouters only wanted. Who can forget the 4 sam, rdm bard Nyzul boss run shouts, or colibri merit parties where at least 1/2 the jobs were not wanted. If they change the system it will just be a new 5 or 6 jobs shouted for. Sorry that the red mage types cannot believe they are not the no. 1 job in one event now, but those are the breaks. In a game with 20 jobs those shouting for randoms will always have a preference.
    (1)

Character
    Tedra
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 90
    Quantity, quantity, folks not quality, Knowing a job you enjoy and play well that comes in second. Once I understood this I was much better off. So I guess the summary would be level the chore jobs (mine is whm) you are going to need it if you want to play.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparthos View Post
    From some of the battles ive witnessed, procs can cause wipes. See: brewed Carabosse fail.

And yes, Abyssea in its current state has become a zergfest due to the overkill on buffs but it doesn't mean SE didn't create procs to slow down the DD throw that was all the rage before Abyssea.

It's the same reason I imagine Dynamis and future content will also have procs.
    um... Dynamis already has procs.

You can always level those jobs - with abyssea - it is very fast to get to lvl 90.
    Just because jobs can be easily leveled, does not mean people want to play those jobs and find them fun.

Some people seem to forget this is a game we're playing, and we want it to be enjoyable.
    (2)

Character
    Tamoa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I must be wired differently from the rest of the playerbase. Because I actually enjoy whm. And when friends and ls members want me to come whm to events, I know it's because they trust me to play the job to the best of my ability. They think I do a good job as whm and knowing that makes me happy and I do my very best to not let them down. I have more than one empyrean weapon and I can proc any red, yellow or blue in abyssea, but I still end up as whm most of the time, and that's fine. I'm secretly a little bit proud that my friends think I'm a good whm. So yeah, guess I'm weird eh? :/

Edit: kinda posted this before I finished lol.
    Anyway, what I meant to say is nobody is forcing anyone to level a job they don't like. But for one - how do you know you won't like it until you've tried it? Being lvl 20 whm in a Qufim level sync party isn't quite the same as duoing Isgebind war/sam and whm. As an example. I managed to get blm to lvl 57 well before abyssea was introduced. But I hated it... However, I leeched to around 75 and then joined normal abyssea exp parties. And 90 blm is fun - in Abyssea at least!

Also, those that are so against lvling and playing a job you don't like (or think you don't like) - wouldn't you lvl that job to help out your ls/lowman group to be more efficient?
    (0)
    Last edited by Tamoa; 09-06-2011 at 04:39 AM.

8. 09-06-2011 04:40 AM

Character
    Tedra
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamoa View Post
    I must be wired differently from the rest of the playerbase. Because I actually enjoy whm. And when friends and ls members want me to come whm to events, I know it's because they trust me to play the job to the best of my ability. They think I do a good job as whm and knowing that makes me happy and I do my very best to not let them down. I have more than one empyrean weapon and I can proc any red, yellow or blue in abyssea, but I still end up as whm most of the time, and that's fine. I'm secretly a little bit proud that my friends think I'm a good whm. So yeah, guess I'm weird eh? :/

Edit: kinda posted this before I finished lol.
    Anyway, what I meant to say is nobody is forcing anyone to level a job they don't like. But for one - how do you know you won't like it until you've tried it? Being lvl 20 whm in a Qufim level sync party isn't quite the same as duoing Isgebind war/sam and whm. As an example. I managed to get blm to lvl 57 well before abyssea was introduced. But I hated it... However, I leeched to around 75 and then joined normal abyssea exp parties. And 90 blm is fun - in Abyssea at least!

Also, those that are so against lvling and playing a job you don't like (or think you don't like) - wouldn't you lvl that job to help out your ls/lowman group to be more efficient?
    I'm really happy for you that you get to play the game on a job that you enjoy that's what games are supposed to be about. Now to answer your question for me in particular it's not so much that i'm against leveling an alternate job to play and I have. But it's kinda like second best. If I go for my favorite ice cream and the shop is out sure i'll try another flavor but its not the same. Why settle for second best when you could do something you really love? I like to focus on and perfect a main and that's kinda hard when that main is smn without reliable procs. Plus working two jobs in rl it's hard to spread my time/focus among several mains and any one of them be outstanding.
    (1)
    Last edited by Neonii; 09-06-2011 at 05:01 AM.

Character
    Tamoa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Neonii View Post
    I'm really happy for you that you get to play the game on a job that you enjoy that's what games are supposed to be about. Now to answer your question for me in particular it's not so much that i'm against leveling an alternate job to play and I have. But it's kinda like second best. If I go for my favorite ice cream and the shop is out sure i'll try another flavor but its not the same. Why settle for second best when you could do something you really love? I like to focus on and perfect a main and that's kinda hard when that main is smn without reliable procs. Plus working two jobs in rl it's hard to spread my time/focus among several mains and any one of them be outstanding.
    Don't get me wrong, I like whm and I have no problem going whm to events - however I like my war, sam and nin more! lol
    (1)

Character
    Akirane
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I can see where they were going with the proc system since every job has access to something that can help out on drop rates. Thanks to the proc system and TH, I'm playing jobs such as WAR and WHM instead of DNC DRK SAM and RDM. Mobs you want to kill with blue proc is often reserved to 22:00 to 06:00 since MNK gets 14/15 blunt procs while WHM can cover the last one.

I like Abyssea due to its casual friendliness where you don't need an army to get stuff done, it's a relief from the old days that involved long lines for special items and most of the drama around that seems to be gone. For me Voidwatch is a step backwards as it uses old zones, same models and two linkshells where one of them isn't interested at all while the other one never goes when I'm on. Whether or not the boss fights are challenging or not is irrelevant for me as its content I really won't see much of. I'm somewhat dreading the thought of Voidwatch becoming popular and finding help to get all 3 of the tier 4 NMs killed just so I can progress to relevant monsters and items.

So for the time being I'm stuck with Abyssea and the proc system really favors certain jobs over others.
    (1)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast