Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99

A new era for the End Game and it's drop system

What I would love to see in the level 99 era is a system that motivates the use of all jobs, and content to move away from a specific need of certain jobs(ie no more one job armies). For example: limit how many characters of one job you can bring, like three. If there's more than three, the first three that achieve hate on the engaged monster will be the only ones, and any remaining characters of that job will be rendered unusable. Alternatively, this wouldn't be a problem if encounters weren't so one sided in design thereby motivating people to "throw more rangers/blackmages at it"

To go with that restriction, the more diverse your alliance is, the more items that will drop. So, you'll have the standard drop rate right. With 6 different jobs the rate increases by a considerable amount. With 12 it increases even more. With 18 comes the best drop rates. And Treasure Hunter working on top of that of course. Perhaps have it cap out at 15 so there's room for another tank and healers since the style of FFXI doesn't quite work out with just one tank and WHM most of the time(not thinking Abyssea here) SE has shown willingness to go this route with Abyssea and now Voidwatch. Procs achieve exactly what I am proposing, but I think players would be happier with my idea. Procs are more of a gimmick. We really just want higher drop rates without gimmicks. It doesn't guarantee that players stop playing favorites, but judging by how we handled Abyssea and how quickly we jumped on board the whole proc deal to get more drops than less, I think we all would probably jump in line for any system that promises the same results.

I stress that increasing the rate by like 1% per tier isn't going to work. I'm thinking along the lines of 10% per. So for example, if a <Greatest item that ever existed of all time until next update> had a drop rate of 5% from <The meanest NM ever until next update>, 6 different jobs in an alliance of 18 would net a 15% chance. 12 would net 25%. 15 would net 35%. If I knew there was a 35% chance against 5%, I know I would drop the cookie cutter mindset pretty quickly for that 35% chance. This is purely example. If I really need to point it out: Example 2 - start with 25% > 35% > 45% > 55%

Another way to go about it would be to start giving all future NMs 100% drop rates and with more items to drop. For example, AV. This dude drops 3 items guaranteed. Let's say that those 3 guaranteed drops were different and not always the same. With 6 different jobs, there's an increased chance of a 4th drop. With 12, a 4th is guaranteed with a chance for 5 items. With 15, a 5th is guaranteed with a chance for 6 items. Treasure Hunter steadily working on that chance factor, obviously(I have to point this out because I've been vocal about the voidwatch system and feeling like it's trying to replace TH, but I don't feel my idea is the same in the least whatsoever because it's not sacrificing drop rate % to like 0% so a gimmick will work out) The idea here is to reward people for diversity, and not force them to do diversity with gimmicks. That's the trick to getting people to play nice together AND still liking the game at the end of the day, imho.

Just to respond to the inevitable mention of the current state of the game, as far as I am concerned you might as well not have a MMOrpg if you don't design content for an alliance in mind. Our population is still healthy compared to most others. I think we can handle it just like we did before Abyssea came around. Whatever the plans might be for how ever many people, I would like to see diversity rewarded. What say you? Are you for one job armies for the sake of kill speed and ease, or diversity? Consider that after nearly 10 years we are no closer than before to getting jobs on even grounds. It's an endless cycle of job nerfs and boosts that never equate to balance. It might be time to give up that hope and figure out another way of motivating the use of all jobs(not saying they stop working on job adjustments, not in the least), a way that doesn't force our hand.

tl;dr - job diversity is rewarded with more drops, no proc gimmicks required.
    (0)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Player
    Holy wall of text batman.
    (0)

Character
    Solbadgirl
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 1
    Tldr garbage. Might as well be trigger system. Being forced to accommodate jobs that provide little strategic value in order to increase drops. Like thf lol.
    (0)