Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacite View Post
    What's the exact impact of MND on Cure IV? Just curious as the RDM in question has 49/50% CP while the BLU only has 28%. That's a fairly large gap, even with blue magic's tendency to have higher caps than actual Cure spells (Wild Carrot for example is basically an uncapped Cure III isn't it?)
    I'll just throw out rough numbers instead of digging up formulas because I don't want to butcher the math somehow, but I think I can explain it okay.

One point of MND adds about .5 HP cured to Cure IV before potency is figured in. That's far from exact, since the amount changes in accordance with soft caps and stuff, and generally it adds less than that if you have a ton of MND. That should give you some idea how small the effect is, though.

Magic Fruit and Peeonallofthem Embrace are more in line with the formula for Cure V, except starting with much lower base values and lower MP costs. So the effects of MND and even Healing Magic skill (stuff players can actually control) are very pronounced on these spells, compared to most cure spells which start with "large" base values and "large" MP costs.

Long story short, Blue Mage skips Cure IV and goes straight to weird Cure V's and that's why Blue Magic cures work the way they do.
    (0)

Threw the numbers into my cure efficiency spreadsheet that I'd put together a while back. It's primary purpose was to try to compare efficiency across subjobs (and thus accounts for Light Arts, Penury, Conserve MP, Convert, etc, over a 10 minute period of time), but can also get a good measure across spells.

Assuming a full potency cure from Curaga V heals 1500 HP (the same amount I gave Cure VI), and you manage to get the full cure amount on 3 targets, it's about 70% as efficient as Cure VI on /rdm, and the same efficiency as Cure VI on /sch, which is slightly weaker than the comparable Curaga IV on 3 people compared to Cure V.

When comparing to the other curagas targetting 3 people: Compared to Curaga IV, Curaga V is about 60% as efficient on /rdm and 75% as efficient on /sch; it's roughly the same compared to Curaga III, though /rdm's Curaga III is slightly more efficient, relatively speaking.

When comparing to the other curagas targetting 4 people: Curaga V as /rdm is 75% as efficient as Curaga III, and 50% as efficient as Curaga IV. Curaga V gets a huge efficiency gain as /sch, though, and is actually twice as efficient as Curaga III. It will still never compare with Curaga IV's free MP costs when cast on 4 people as /sch, though.

Overall, if you're not /sch it's a huge waste of MP no matter how many people you target. If you *are* /sch, then curing 3 people for full HP (or more people for comparable total HP cured) isn't terrible, but not up to the level you'd expect from a curaga. If you can cure 4 people for the full amount then it's a decently efficient spell.
    (1)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    How fast does it cast? Could this be considered a miniature 2HR? For those times when you absolutely must cure everyone around you for 1300+ HP? Not MP efficient but when you need it you'll want it type thing.
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by saevel View Post
    Not MP efficient but when you need it you'll want it type thing.
    Actually, with Curaga IV at least, you could get a free cure if you hit enough people while wearing AF3 pants. Pop a strat for speed casting or wear a ton of cure cast time gear and it will cast incredibly fast too. Curaga spells for White Mage are underused considering how nice they can be.

Benediction pretty much sucks because it is only 1-3 seconds faster for the area cure, and maybe 3-6 second faster for an area cure and area debuff removal... and it doesn't even have a 100% removal rate on Doom, nor can it remove Bard debuffs, nor a slew of other things.
    (0)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4