Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Psion
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamaan View Post
    Shinron's idea of making Cooldown reset JA attachments is really good, though I'd like it if it did spell recast instead. For those "Remove Para, you stupid puppet, not silence, I'm /war you idiot" moments.

Sadly it's looking more and more like Cooldown is going to be our Footwork.
    I'd rather it didn't reset spell recast, because then SE would think of it as a good enough fix for automaton AI, and never fix the priorities of its casting.
    (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Bayohne View Post
    Based on player feedback, the recast time for Cooldown has been lowered from 10 minuted to 5 minutes. (3 minutes would be a bit too much...)
    Considering this job ability is so useful that it will get used about once every two-three months, I'm not sure how 3 minutes can be considered "too much". If it were level 30-50, or actually did something that justified it not being available until 95, I could see where that would be coming from, but as it stands now, 30 seconds wouldn't even be to much.
    (4)
    Siren Server since 2004
    AKA Lady Jinte of Allakhazam
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    Nutcracker had trained for years to crush the crotch and/or obliterate the ovaries of each and every monster in Vana'diel. Not even some weird thing that fish have called a "cloaca" could stem his robotic rage towards reproductive bits.

Character
    Archedian
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamaan View Post
    Shinron's idea of making Cooldown reset JA attachments is really good, though I'd like it if it did spell recast instead. For those "Remove Para, you stupid puppet, not silence, I'm /war you idiot" moments.

Sadly it's looking more and more like Cooldown is going to be our Footwork.
    Wow... Wish I could shake your hand... It's about time someone agrees with one of the many thousand suggestions I've made for the job mwahahaha. Anywho... I think that it would be good if they added an attachment similar to Mana Well (The new black mage spell that makes the next spell cost no mp) and the new Red Mage Job ability that cuts the spell casting time of the next spell in half into an attachment. If the attachment occasionally gave our pets instant cast on the next spell and also reset the spell timer (Similar to how Barrage Turbine works on ranged attacks), then it would be interesting for Black Mage and White mage pet with curing/nuking since it would somewhat eliminate the long recast on magic that makes the pet difficult to work with.

On the other hand, I agree that it would be nice if they implemented a spell reset into Cool Down also because then you would have more control over when your spell will be reset incomparison to how an attachment randomly activates.

Cool down just doesn't do enough to make it actually worth waiting to aquire at 95... I feel that when I'm 95~99 Puppetmaster... I should have complete sychronization with my pet, but also 100% control over him when necessary. Square Enix is striving so hard to make job abilities for jobs that reflect its nature and what it does best , like bully with thief, but this is still no excuse to ignore the things that obviously need to be fixed that is staring them right in the face like the lacking A.I. fuctionality... However, don't give up... This attachment "revamping" might actual be good for the job. If they can make the power of attachments at level 90 as strong as they were when we were at level 1 where we could use Shock Absorber which blocked 100 damage when mobs were only hitting for 1 damage, then there might be some hope after all.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shinron-PUP; 09-03-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Character
    Cyranda
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I would like to know what the developers think Cooldown will actually add to Puppetmaster.

With the current, easy-to-get gear that avoids overload, why the focus on removing overload? Are the developers planning to add new attachments that consume maneuvers (and are strong enough to actually use instead of simply wasting your attack delay putting up maneuvers for that attachment and then the maneuvers for your normal actions while not screwing up your automaton's weapon skill choice)? Were not enough people using Heat Capacitor, Flame Holder*, Barrage Turbine, etc.? Honestly, some of them (most?) aren't good enough to use, and I'm of the opinion that maneuver-eating attachments are an unfortunate mechanic anyway, as putting up a new maneuver every 10 seconds gets tiresome, and the automaton is already wont to choose to do things at just the wrong moment anyway (for instance, using Barrage Turbine just after the master puts up a maneuver, then immediately using Arcuballista or Daze because the wind maneuvers have been used and the master couldn't put up another wind maneuver in time to trigger Armor Shatterer or Retrieve before the WS goes off).

I hope this doesn't mean that there's a plan in motion to increase the frequency of overload with attachments in general. I'd much prefer a revamping of maneuver consuming attachments so they don't consume maneuvers at all, while making attachments strong enough to make deciding which maneuvers to use more valuable. On the other hand, perhaps a better use of Cooldown would simply be to make it an ability that lasts 60 seconds, causing any maneuvers used during its effect to remain for several minutes instead of 1 (though admittedly, that might limit the feel of "controlling" the automaton and render it too similar to a Dragoon's wyvern).

In any case, Cooldown halving burden and removing overload doesn't seem valuable enough, at this point, and anything that would make it valuable (unless such things were extremely strong, and even then) would probably just be annoying.

*An aside about Flameholder: This is one of the attachments that makes me worry about attachments that consume maneuvers. While it sounds good in theory, its being fire based screws up any value it would have in using multiple maneuvers on its own (Arcuballista and Chimera Ripper are not exciting), and using it with an inhibitor introduces a host of other problems (using Inhibitor and Flame Holder instead of a Tension Spring, watching your Automaton use a weak WS to SC with another party member, having to use fire maneuvers instead of wind or thunder to get value out of them depending on circumstance, etc.) Sometimes it feels like some attachments give the illusion of choice (increased WS while decreasing regular hit damage/forcing maneuver spam, resulting in the same amount of overall damage), but really don't change and/or worsen the actual overall damage/whatever.

If Cooldown is a prelude to attachments that increase overload chance (through focus on reusing maneuvers or just increasing burden per maneuver), they should be absolutely amazing and not just fiddling with numbers or stealth normalizing of damage. If not, Cooldown is not going to be an ability worth adding into the game except as a very occasional "quality of life" adjustment that lacks substance.
    (2)
    Last edited by Cyranda; 09-03-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: clarity

Character
    Raijitsu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    shinron's post
    08-31-2011 10:44 PM

Instead of replacing cool down or getting rid of it, why not make it reset attachment Job abilities, but still have the overload reduction... Also a 5 minute recast time would be good. With all that you could do back to back Strobes/Replicators/Heat capacitors, or just reset Job abilities when you first spawn your pet since there is a "Cool Down" on job abilities for the first 2 minutes.
    my post
    08-30-2011 08:55 PM
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...dback-Cooldown
    My suggestion since overload is really not an issue at all anymore. (again just my personal oppinion)

1) Resets all of the pets JA (barrage, shield block, flash bulb, stoneskin, spell recast)
    2) 2 minute reuse timer

Example of a use:
    1) Sharp shot pet uses barrage - > weapon skill -> cooldown -> barrage again
    2) whm pet sees you are 50hp and have blind on -> casts blindna -> cooldown -> casts cure 6
    3) blm pet casts aspir (sub 75% mp) -> cool down -> nuke
    I obviouslly agree with shinron, however i cant give him credit as to it being his idea when i posted the same thing the day before.

And its not a 'fix' to the ai, we all want that first, but think of it like this.

Your at 23% hp, pet cure 6's
    Mob does tp move and you back at 23%,
    cool down
    instant cure 6 again (no 20 second wait)

Once every 2 minutes is useful and doesnt have to be just as a fix to the ai, it could easily be a usefull upgrade all around
    (0)

Character
    Raijitsu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    On a side note its become very obvious that the developers dont listen at all to the US players. 99% of this comes straight from jp and is just translated over. SO until one of us learns to post in the jp thread, chances are we are stuck getting the bad ideas they come up with.
    (0)

Character
    Archedian
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dfoley View Post
    shinron's post
    08-31-2011 10:44 PM

my post
    08-30-2011 08:55 PM
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...dback-Cooldown

I obviouslly agree with shinron, however i cant give him credit as to it being his idea when i posted the same thing the day before.

And its not a 'fix' to the ai, we all want that first, but think of it like this.

Your at 23% hp, pet cure 6's
    Mob does tp move and you back at 23%,
    cool down
    instant cure 6 again (no 20 second wait)

Once every 2 minutes is useful and doesnt have to be just as a fix to the ai, it could easily be a usefull upgrade all around
    Ops... Hope it didn't seem as if I was plagiarizing your previous post/thread; I never seen your post or else I wouldn't have necessarily suggested it, but encouraged it. I had thought of it around the moment I posted it when I was discussing Cool Down with my brother. Seemingly this keeps happening though because some guy thought up adding Eagle Eye shot/Benediction/Invincible/etc. to Overdrive 4 days prior to when I posted it in one of my threads then I felt silly reading his in the post about "Changing Puppetmaster 2 hour". Anyhow, you may have all the credit you deserve. I'm just happy that more than one person thought of this though because it means that it would be a popular addition to cool down that wouldn't have any unwanted controversy. Also resetting attachments only makes logical sense when using something like Cool Down. I always hated the fact that if my pet died, then I would have to wait 2 minutes during a important fight for my pets attachments to be ready after activate, expecially when I'm soloing, and I would lose out in alot of damage just because he was in a weakended state.

Not to be cliche, but great minds think alike, time and time again, but obviously yours is greater because you thought of it first !
    (0)

Character
    Chamaan
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I'm just really annoyed with always getting "We're adding new attachments and strengthening old ones" every time they mention anything about a pup fix. We need fixes beyond making a more powerful Tension Spring and another 3 fire attachment that I have to furrow my brow in consternation over when choosing a set. This isn't putting spinners on a Gremlin. It's putting spinners on an Acura that that honks the horn 1/10 times you step on the brakes.

I mean, Cooldown is nice, I'm not complaining that we got something new, but it's not going to add anything substantial to the job. I mean, even Kick Attacks 1 would've been a bigger boost overall than Cooldown.
    (1)

Character
    Raijitsu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    O shinron, I agree 100%. Its funny to me that 2 separate pups came up with the same idea, yet the best the other forum got was "make it 5 minutes instead of 10~!".

While I dont mind the new/rebalanced attachments, there are definitely more then a few that need to be rebalanced. Personally they all need to scale better as you level 1 to 99. 20 evasion is nice at level 10 but at 99 its crap. I would much prefer them all to be % based when possible. +10% evasion is pimp compared to +10 evasion.
    (0)

Character
    Shuffles
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    that would be a nice ja, a timer reset basically.

along with that it can reset things like flash, eraser etc.
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast