Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Character
    Zazhi
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    A server wide chat channel is a great idea. As others have said, if you don't like it, filter it out. So many times, I have needed to do quests, avatar battles, missions, etc. and needed to shout for help. Not only would a server wide chat channel help out the person doing the shouting but it would also help other people who happen to hear it and need the same goal.
    (0)
    Zazhi

Character
    Arisingchicken
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 60
    To the folks saying a wait between shouts: it doesn't even need to be 3 min to be effective. That seems pretty short till your in game where waiting the few seconds for that galka at the boat dock to MOVE seems like an eternity! A one minute wait would be plenty for non RMT bots who would just use multiple trial accounts to bypass it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    How about this:
    3 different settings in chat filters as well as text commands.
    Filter Off - The server chat filter is set to off and you will see all chat in any zone.
    Contextual Filter - This setting automatically turns the filter off when entering towns and automatically turns it on outside towns.
    Permanent On Filter - Server chat is filtered out completely until you turn it off again.

Type commands could be something like:
    /servchat off
    /servchat on
    /servchat town

And it goes without saying that a minimum wait time between messages and standard things like the same limits that apply to shouts and tells now should be used.
    If they can program it that way, works for me. They also need to be on top of their spam filter code though so RMT don't rotate trials in and result in more posts demanding nooblets not be able to talk. That we get many nooblets these days @.@;
    (0)

I actually see no problem with this, it would help free up congestion in cities. A person could "Shout" for help with something and not over crowd an area. I know it would help free up my connection some (only able to use Verizon Wireless 3g where I live or dial-up).

SE could always create some kind of "Horn" that allows the person to make so many "Shouts" before it breaks. Make it cost gil. That way if someone wants to spam, they use they're own gil (hopefully going broke trying) doing it.

Also agree to have a filter on this if you want. I mean worse case senario, you have to take 30secs out of ur game time and turn a filter on? I'm sure anyone can spare 30seconds, whats that compared to an update? compared to a week?

Its a good idea, I agree with it. And honestly the only people i see arguing the point are people who seem to be too lazy to turn on a filter... not really a valid arguement.
    (0)
    Aishiteru

Character
    Arisingchicken
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerlyn View Post
    SE could always create some kind of "Horn" that allows the person to make so many "Shouts" before it breaks. Make it cost gil. That way if someone wants to spam, they use they're own gil (hopefully going broke trying) doing it.
    Added hassle and -inventory...

seem to be too lazy to turn on a filter... not really a valid arguement.
    Having to turn it on and off every time I zone in/out is a hassle as is not wanting to lose an inventory slot and have to pay for finding members. Its more hassle I don't need. The suggestion of a town setting, if its possible, is enough for me, but don't tell me the opinions of others are less valid than your own.

If you had to toggle it every sticking time manually..Ugh. That shouldn't need explaining. Come on.
    (1)
    Last edited by GlobalVariable; 03-14-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: "you you".."if you"

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalVariable View Post
    Added hassle and -inventory...

Having to turn it on and off every time I zoen in/out is a hassle as is not wanting to lose an inventory slot and have to pay for finding members. Its more hassle I don't need. The suggestion of a town setting, if its possible, is enough for me, but don't tell me the opinions of others are less valid than your own.

You you had to toggle it every sticking time manually..Ugh. That shouldn't need explaining. Come on.
    I would appreciate if you changed your tone. Everything you said seemed like a bash at my intellegence. I don't know if your having a bad night, or you are just this insulting to everyone, but clearly you missed my point. It was my opinion that the nay sayers ARGUEMENT was INVALID.. not they're OPINION! A filter stays on/off no matter if you are ZONING or not. If your filters turn off/on when you zone you have a problem. It is my OPINION that anyone who cannot type in a simple command to turn a filter on/off is LAZY. Laziness in my OPINION is not a valid arguement. I'm sorry if you took any offense to my comment. It wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at lazy people in general. In fact I hope your not offended now.

As for the "Horn" idea. I never said anything about it taking up inventory space. It could be a Key Item. And i would have to agree with you about the gil part, it does make it a hassle. But I wasn't thinking of normal players. I was thinking of players who like to abuse things like that. Who like to spam shout with nonsense, so people don't see your shout for help b/c chat is moving by so quickly they missed it (but then again SE did set it up where u can enlarge chat and choose the chat you want to look at.

Also I never said a persons opinion is less valid than my own. In fact mine could be less valid than theirs, so please do not attack me because you misinterpreted and took offense to something you misunderstood. I'm trying to be civil, but honestly you just upset me and i'm finding it hard to do so. Maybe I shouldn't have worded it the way I did. But that is no reason to bash my intelligence. Again if you feel I have insulted you, I apologize, I am trying not to.
    (0)
    Last edited by Amerlyn; 03-14-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    Aishiteru

Character
    Arisingchicken
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 60
    Gah. I edited that post and still manage to miss typos and copy+paste errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerlyn View Post
    A filter stays on/off no matter if you are ZONING or not. If your filters turn off/on when you zone you have a problem.
    I have to filter world chat to not see it outside of town. I have to turn it back off to see it in town(unless there is a town setting). If I leave it on, I won't see ANY people trying to form groups because they will all be in world chat.

My saying it shouldn't need explained is not "bashing". Calling people who express this concern lazy (which I am one of) is insulting. Please don't do that.

*edit*
    I just saw your thread about player bashing, when I 1st read your reply to me here I felt you might possibly be baiting me, now that I saw your thread I think you just ran into 1 to many jerks and were overly sensitive here because of them. That and didn't realize how you came off in your own post I was in reply to.
    (0)
    Last edited by GlobalVariable; 03-14-2011 at 04:04 PM.

I feel the need to reiterate my opinion.
    It is just my opinion that anyones arguement for disagreeing that is based off of being too lazy to turn on/off a filter is invalid. In my opinion, laziness IS invalid.

As an example of laziness being invalid: Your in a party with a 90war who is using lvl30 weapons. And their only arguement for not getting better gear is they just didn't feel like going out and getting new gear. I don't think ANYONE would see that as a valid excuse.

Another example of an invalid arguement to me: ps2 limitations. yes i completely understand you wont be effected by the decision either way (at least until u upgrade to a better system). But it still isn't a good reason to argue with. Your opinion does matter. You can still agree or disagree with an idea being good, even if it doesn't effect u currently.

So all I am saying that is invalid is the arguement that supports the opinion. If its based off of pure laziness to type in a simple command, that is not a good arguement. I'm not saying your opinion that you don't like the idea is invalid. Just the arguement behind it is. Laziness to me is not an excuse.

As to the bashing thing, last night i was tired and took your words hard, i apologize. I have run a cross alot of rude people. Especially in game. I just returned to game 2weeks ago, after not being able to play for 2+yrs. Alot of people have been understanding of this and I haven't been given any grief over relearning macros and the game. But I have had experiences where I was in a zone and forgot how to get places, asked for directions or help in general and just been ignored. As with the bashing, I can't say I have been bashed. But I can say I have seen people bashed, name calling and such and I dont agree with it. Especially in a public area. I don't get how people get off on making people feel inferior. Its repulsive. All it proves is how much of a prick someone can be, and provokes the others into doing it too. Unfortuantely were all human so have to find some way to thrive off another's pain. I am begining to ramble off subject.

I do apologize if my statement offended. I just do not agree with an arguement based off of laziness. As far as turning on and off filters. It isn't more of a hassel than say doing an LS event. When someone would do Dynamis/Sky most LS would tell they're members to turn off everything except LS/Party chat to reduce lag. Yes it could become a hassel. But its not an arguement. The idea is good. The OP even stated a command where it was only on while in cities. So that in itself stops the hassel of turning it on and off all the time. I can see your arguement, I can even somewhat understand how if your the type turn it on/off constantly it would pose a problem. But honestly, I don't see people turning it on and off constantly. They turn it off when looking for help for something. They find help, turn it on and do the event. Then they either keep it turned on and do stuff solo or turn it on to look for help again. If a person is too lazy to turn it on and wants to complain about about spam or lag its not an arguement. The OP supplied an idea and way to make it tolerable. If you don't agree with the idea.. thats fine. But if you want to back it by saying its too much of a hassle to turn on and off a filter, don't just leave it at that, add to it.. make a suggestion you feel would make it more tolerable.. leaving it at just that puts off the view of laziness, there is no structure to support your arguement. Honestly Filters is the only sound reason I can see where this idea won't become a complete issue. If you see another reason that is better, state it. Finish the idea and don't leave it lacking.

Btw, I am not referring to you as GlobalVariable, I am referring to you as in the nay says. Its fine to disagree, just dont dis a single idea w/out giving an idea of your own to improve it. Put more reason besides "its too much of a hassel to type in a command" (again and i'm being repetative this just feels like laziness in my opinion). Add something in. "Its too much of a hassel having to type this command, why not do it this "way"?" Put a little more depth and structure to your arguement, back it up. Improve on it. And don't complain b/c I think its lazy, go back and improve/add to your arguement. Make it more solid. I'm not bashing you as an individual, in fact i hope i'm not bashing at all (though I might be bashing the arguements, thought that is what an arguement is. Arguing politely (no name calling or making someone feel inferior) and trying to prove/disprove an idea). Again I should have been a little more in depth with my statement and I apologize.

All I ask is for a more solid reasoning. Don't leave the arguement open and not finish it.

I hope I explained my part better, I am fully rested and had time to think my words out thoroughly before continuing. I also hope I didnt offend anyone. I do not mean to, but it happens (every person varies, a person could get offended by the word "apple" (possibly had a bad experience with it)). And if i did so I apologize.
    (0)
    Aishiteru

Character
    Jamesruglia
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 90
    (Server lag) (Shout) (No, thanks.)

I like the idea about seeing more text and "feeling more alive"... But I'd worry too much about the channels being perpetually turned off anyway due to spam or obnoxious comments-the kind that have always tended to clutter non-helpmeout Jeuno and Whitegate shouts anyway.
    (0)
    Sylph/Melmond

Character
    Izzybella
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Altana help us...NOOOOOO
    (0)

"I have wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to somebody's need made me blind, but I have never yet felt a tinge of regret for being a little too kind." ~~ anon

Character
    Barabas
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 91
    What about an option to remote-view other zone's shouts? it won't make any huge alteration to how shouts are used for groups at the moment, and you can merely select the zones you would like to view remotely. Ex. Port Jeuno, plus any zones where a mission/NM you want is located. Those who have no interest see no real change to how shouts are used, but those interested in doing other things can see the shouts they want to see. No serverwide spam, only the shouts from the places you are interested in.
    (0)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast