Character
    Archedian
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99

Please Fix Cool Down...

For all you who have aspired to have Kenkonken's but never could, or for all the maneuver junkies who wanted to spam maneuvers till your hearts gave out, you may have thought Cool Down would have satisfied your appetites, but as of right now Cool Down doesn't meet the "Expectation" we may have imagined it might have.

Cool down Info: Erases Overload and Reduces burden by 50%.
    10 Minute Recast

Now for balance purposes: I believe that the recast time on Cool Down is good because it respects Kenkonkens and also still challenges Puppetmasters to use it wisely, but, on the other hand, it is absolutely horrible for fixing any of the problems in which puppetmaster's encounter when it comes to A.I. control and too much overload burden. With this job ability only being able to be used every 10 minutes, it's almost like it isn't there. As of currently, with +2 Body, Buffoon's Neck, and AF1 hands, Puppetmasters rarely overload when using maneuvers properly, so in this case, Cool Down gives us no justifiable reason to use it. However, this dillema could be fixed by reducing its recast to 5 minutes so that puppetmaster's can use it to prevent overload after successive uses of maneuvers "periodically" and not sparingly.

Square Enix: Please reduce the timer to 5 minutes and not 10 minutes or this Job ability is just useless. (Any lower than this would be overpowering in respect to Kenkonkens and any less would be useless for Puppetmasters.)

Everyone: Please draw attention to this fault and let’s fix this... We have enough useless attachments and burdensome A.I. bugs to deal with... let’s not add another.

Edit: You know what would be a good applicable use for this job ability? Make is so that Cool Down resets all attachment job abilities... When we first spawn our pets we have a 2 minute-ish cool down on job abilities like flash bulb, strobe, stoneskin, replicator, Heat capacitor, etc. before we can use them and high burden so this would actually have good use when first popping a pet or if you want to use back to back strobe/replicator/ or even heat capacitor!
    (1)
    Last edited by Shinron-PUP; 09-03-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Character
    Capuchin
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Eh, 10min is fine to me. I see this like COR's merit JA Fold, which has a 15min recast without additional Fold merits - and Bust lasts longer and is more harmful to a COR's essential purpose.

Use Cool Down if you screw up trying to go overboard nuking, or if it's really important not to overload and you've just activated a fresh puppet. Otherwise, ignore it. It's really a minor addition. I doubt most decent PUPs are going to be doing a lot of riding the Cool Down timer in any case...
    (0)

Character
    Raijitsu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    If only you could get kenkonken on test /sigh.

The ability is a waste, at 5 minutes or 10 minutes its not really needed.

Here is my data on it:

+2 body/buffoon collar +1/af gloves
    (blm head/frame)

activate
    wait 0 seconds
    ice maneuver every 10 seconds (no macros just full timing those 3 pieces)
    average 8-12 ice maneuvers before overload

same as above:
    activate
    wait 2 minutes
    12-15 ice before overload

conclusion:
    if your nuking you at most can do 2 nukes before you need to DAD
    1 cycle is 3 x ice + time to nuke = 45 seconds avg
    2 cycles i 6 x ice + time to nuke = 1 min 30 sec
    Even with 2, you run 0 risk of overload with said gear
    So you will never need to use it....

NEVER

Now if you have MM atma up and are letting your pet stay out and chain nuking with 3x ice it would be on your third before you can overload, and at which point your at close to 3 minutes. Thing is if you have atma/mm you have crour buffs and thus should make it through the third cycle... at which point your going to be casting aspir anyways.

The only other viable set is ranger with 3x wind. With barrage/AS however your going to be ridding DEA since its gonna be dieing so often ;-p and then overload doesnt matter either.

So again, when is this ability needed?
    (0)

Dear SE,

I just spent four (4) hours working on a well thought out, accurate, complicated, math based post about cooldown's efficiency. I then hit the "Reply to thread" button. Instead of posting my four ours of hard work, which was painstakingly done using the absurdly tiny posting window that the quick reply offers, it redirected me to the advanced posting form. My post's contents were not transferred to this page. Further, when I attempted to go back and retrieve my post, the quick reply box was now empty.

Four hours of mind numbing, math related work to figure out the efficiency of your excessively vague statements, lost, because of this forum's inability to save incomplete posts.

In short, FUCK this forum. It sucks.

With love,
    Theytak of Siren
    (2)
    Siren Server since 2004
    AKA Lady Jinte of Allakhazam
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    Nutcracker had trained for years to crush the crotch and/or obliterate the ovaries of each and every monster in Vana'diel. Not even some weird thing that fish have called a "cloaca" could stem his robotic rage towards reproductive bits.

Character
    Zijder
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Sorry to hear you lost your post Theytak, I always like to read about peoples pup testing.

The interface here needs work, I spent a very long time looking for the spoilers tags once only to find them under the completely intuitive HB tags (a google search at the time seems to indicate that this is the only forum that uses HB), and then I spent another long time thinking I used them wrong because the preview would never put my text in a spoiler box. But I did learn that the two sets of little arrows pointing up and down on the right of the tool bar expands the posting window.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Telford View Post
    Sorry to hear you lost your post Theytak, I always like to read about peoples pup testing.

The interface here needs work, I spent a very long time looking for the spoilers tags once only to find them under the completely intuitive HB tags (a google search at the time seems to indicate that this is the only forum that uses HB), and then I spent another long time thinking I used them wrong because the preview would never put my text in a spoiler box. But I did learn that the two sets of little arrows pointing up and down on the right of the tool bar expands the posting window.
    oh hey, they do. That's really useful. Also, the post was basically just math-proving everything Dfoley already said. A basic summary now that I'm not grumpy at the forum:

+10 refresh from atma = max of 3 nukes before triggering aspir, assuming atma of the ultimate and estimating the mp cost of thunder V and max mp of stormwaker at 95. 4 without atma of the ultimate. +15 refresh gives you 4/5 depending on ultimate. If you use allure and some other MAB atma, you'll get 4 nukes. If you get +20 refresh (MM+2 other refresh atma), you can nuke 28ish times before aspir, but with a pretty sizable loss to your damage. Using MM + 2 Max MP atma (allure+1k needles is the most, +50%), is totally impractical and barely any better than allure on it's own.

The one exception is from 6:00 to 18:00 game time, with Atma of the Foe Flayer, you get about half an hour of unlimited nukes, because the 30 mp/tick refresh it gives completely negates the cost of Thunder/Blizz5 at the rate at which pup can nuke (42~45 seconds between nukes, accounting for casting time and recast time, if you have mana channeler on). Actually, 21-22mp/tick refresh completely negates the cost of Thunder/Blizz5 at that rate, depending on the cost of thunder V.

For shits and giggles, I found that at the absolute most, with mana channeler and atma of the foe flayer's refresh effect, if you land your 3rd nuke at 5:33 game time, you can get off 44 nukes over the course of about 30 minutes before you trigger aspir (3 before refresh starts, 41 while refresh is active).

Also, rough math found that not using Mana Channeler actually gave you less ability to nuke before triggering aspir, since you lose about 30-40 mp (depending on when the ticks fall) from your refresh gain. At 42 seconds per nuke, you recover 140 mp between every cast, thus effectively reducing the cost of Blizzard V to 142 and Thunder V to ~150 (I estimated it to around 290, based on the differences between the mp costs of the other tier V spells) Every 5 mp of refresh tacked on reduces the effective mp cost by 70. Without mana channeler's extra 5 seconds per nuke, you lose 1.5-2 ticks of refresh per nuke, increasing spell costs by 30 across the board. As it stands, 2 spells leaves you with just barely enough MP to not trigger aspir (76-77%), and the 30-40 mp difference in spell cost is enough to push you over, having 73-74% mp after 2 nukes, thus reducing the amount of nukes you get off by one across the board (excluding 20mp/tick refresh, which you actually lose more than 2. I didn't bother to crunch the loss, since the combo was totally impractical, though.

And again, Foe Flayer is the exception, because its huge mp gain is enough to nullify the extra mp cost losing mana channeler creates, and thus while it's active, you actually do still get off a few extra spells. I didn't bother to crunch that number either, though I will now, since I'm curious... since you lose one off the initial... you'd get 48 nukes, give or take 2.
    (0)
    Siren Server since 2004
    Nutcracker had trained for years to crush the crotch and/or obliterate the ovaries of each and every monster in Vana'diel. Not even some weird thing that fish have called a "cloaca" could stem his robotic rage towards reproductive bits.

Character
    Shuffles
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    So in summery. Remove cooldown JA and give us something actually useful. Next time ask pups what could be useful because it is obvious the developers have no clue what so ever about the job puppetmaster.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by xbobx View Post
    So in summery. Remove cooldown JA and give us something actually useful. Next time ask the english pups what could be useful because it is obvious neither the developers nor the any of the japanese pups whose feedback they used have no clue what so ever about the job puppetmaster.
    ftfy.

subtle blow and overload... seriously? *facepalm*
    (0)
    Siren Server since 2004