Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Black Mages's Testing Opinions

Hey everyone since SE wants us to talk about the stuff that we can play with on the test server I thought I could make this thread. Here all of us who are in the testing server can comment on the stuff given to us.

Hopefuly SE can take this feedback and adjust the spells/ja to our liking. To make it organized I'd like posters to present each post in the following format:

topic of interest (like a spell) here in bold:
    Comments and/or opinions on topic

With this simple format we can make it easy for the admins to read our opinions but feel free to write your opinions in your own way if you don't like this set up.

I'll go first to start things off.

Breakga:
    Not much to say about this... It's just an aoe version of break. From what I've seen it's has no bugs and it works for stoping monsters that can be effected by it.

Blizzaja:
    The next tier of the ja spells... I've played with this alot and seen no problems with it as well.

Thunder V:
    next of the single target spells... Like with blizzaja I've used it and like the spell. No problems here.

Comet:
    Unlike the other spells on this list im a little (keep in mind just a little) dissapointed with this spell. From what I've seen the damage it does is on par (or a little greater) with Thunder V. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that Comet cost 73 more mp to cast. having to use up more mp for a spell when there is very little of a damage increase isn't very good. I can understand that comet should be used in conjuction with other black mages casting it together (the damage seems to go up by 400~ with each cast inside abyssea) but other then that using comet is a waste of mp unless the monster we are fighting is weak to the dark element.

I think the base damage of comet should be increased by a small amount (again not by much) or just lower it's high mp cost by like 20~30 mp. Again Im not saying this is a bad spell just think it could use a small tweek.

Manawell:
    This skill is wonderful. 0 mp cost for a spell... that you can also give to a party member.
    This is a very nice skill that will be very useful for both helping others and increasing our offensive capablity.

All and all what we will be getting is very good. Only had a small annoyance with comet but it's not a big deal.

Come fellow testers our opinions must be known!
    (1)
    Last edited by Darkwizardzin; 08-31-2011 at 12:39 AM.

I have a question. Can Manawell reduce Impact's MP cost to 0 as well?
    (0)

I don't see a real problem with the cost/damage of comet, since it's bringing back the opportunity to manaburn again

Also have you tried it with a magic burst? Dark SC >5 comet MBs could be a quick way to end a mob^^
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Supersun View Post
    I have a question. Can Manawell reduce Impact's MP cost to 0 as well?
    I wish I could answer this question with 100% certantly but I can't (I never got that damn cloak even after 13 shinryu kills) common sence says it should tho.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    I don't see a real problem with the cost/damage of comet, since it's bringing back the opportunity to manaburn again

Also have you tried it with a magic burst? Dark SC >5 comet MBs could be a quick way to end a mob^^
    I haven't had the chance to try it with MBs... I'll let you know when I do.
    (1)

Yeah I found the same thing, Comet was about on par with Thunder V in abyssea using Lion for T5 and Cosmos for Comet.

Both did 4876 damage exactly to saplings.

However, with Thunder V I was using an Indra's Staff, and with Comet I only had Pluot's - so that's a difference of 2 affinity. I imagine with the magic damage +5 dark staff, Comet should do a hefty amount of damage, possibly break 6k. Who knows with brew?!

But, again, the problem with that is (at least inside abyssea) Blizzard V can easily break 5k, more with AF3+2 set proc.

Comet really does feel underpowered for its cost, though it's supposed to function like the ja spells, so maybe that's where its real strength lies?
    (0)

Character
    Meyi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I wanna see the +3 Magian stats, please?
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Meyi View Post
    I wanna see the +3 Magian stats, please?
    From the looks of it... the +3 staffs are this:

(element) Affinity: Magic Damage+6
    (element) Affinity: Casting time -12%

So looks like they take out the acc from the +2 staff and replace it with another boost in damage.
    (1)

Character
    Meyi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Wow, that's stupid. They should keep the accuracy because that can be pretty important...

Thank you for looking it up.
    (0)
    Last edited by Meyi; 09-04-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Character
    Sargent
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I've only done testing outside Abyssea, and I agree something needs to be done with Comet. At the moment, it's simply not worth the additional MP cost in comparison to Tier 5 nukes. I know SE want us to use multiple BLMs to enhance the damage but lets face it, you'll only take 1-2 BLMs to most Endgame events.
    (2)
    SMN99/SAM99/DNC99/PLD99/THF99
    Summoning magic skill: 545
    Hvergelmir 90

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast