Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Defender

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    For Steel Cyclone. It's true that otherwise it would still makes sense, although returns are smaller.

If you belive the current theory that you can only DA on the first two hits, let's look at Raging Rush. With Warrior's Charge up, first hit being 100% and 3rd hit 0% regardless, that leaves a 30% chance to turn 4 hits into 5 hits. So a ~30% chance to get a 25% bonus, averaging at ~7.5% bonus damage. And without full DA gear you'd still get at least a 15% DA from trait/merit, and maybe even a bit extra DA on certain WS gear (Ravager's Cuisses +2 and Atheling Mantle come to mind), so you'd still have ~20% even without going for DA itself. So without gearing for DA, you'd get a ~20% chance to get a 25% bonus, meaning still a 5% increase on average. So with Warrior's Charge up, even on a multihit WS, you'd only get ~2.5% extra damage increase with DA gear. And that's thinking optimistically.

It may still be worth it, but can quite possibly be outweighed by good alternative WS gear. Sea gorget instead if Ravager's Gorget would be a good example. This still assumes that only the first two hits of a WS can DA, which I'm still not convinced of, but I believe it currently is the most dominant theory.

Anyway, it doesn't invalidate my point that Warrior's Charge damage on WS outweighs the extra TP gain you would get from it.
    (0)

Player
    Sea Gorget wins regardless of WC being up or not. Ravager is only good for Tp phase if acc is capped and you don't need STP.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Yeah definitely, I was just naming a piece of Double Attack gear that you would sacrifice for something else for WS. My point is, Double Attack gear on WSs isn't everything.
    (0)

Character
    Kuwabaraone
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Well, I will always stand by this creed for WAR: We are the Original Tanks. I'm not much of a Highend DD WAR as I use
    Defender/Retaliation almost religiously. Been doing that ever since I got WAR to 60. Man, still remember the days I was on Full AF with Defender/Retal on. Could WS like the best of them; but I digress. Having a boost in Defender defenses is a good idea, but it probably won't be on the level for PLDs just yet. If anything, have Defender raise Parry rates for WARs with G.Axe equipped. Just a thought.

KB1
    (0)

Player
    At the very least, what needs to be fixed about is its duration.

Recasting a buff like this on Paladin/war is just tedious. Generally speaking, if you're gonna use Defender, you're going to keep it up full time, not up sometimes and down other times.

Take Scholar's Dark Arts / Light Arts. Scholars do not need to fool around with using the same Job Ability over and over again; Light Arts stays up almost for as long as they need it to.

Popping Defender every five minutes is just meaningless, repetitive button pushing adds nothing to gameplay. The duration should be increased to until the player zones or dies, in addition to any other adjustments.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwabaraone View Post
    Well, I will always stand by this creed for WAR: We are the Original Tanks. I'm not much of a Highend DD WAR as I use
    Defender/Retaliation almost religiously. Been doing that ever since I got WAR to 60. Man, still remember the days I was on Full AF with Defender/Retal on. Could WS like the best of them; but I digress. Having a boost in Defender defenses is a good idea, but it probably won't be on the level for PLDs just yet. If anything, have Defender raise Parry rates for WARs with G.Axe equipped. Just a thought.

KB1
    You talk like you remember back before PLD and NIN were introduced and you were tanking on war with retaliation... but retaliation was only introduced in March '08 lol
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
    At the very least, what needs to be fixed about is its duration.

Recasting a buff like this on Paladin/war is just tedious. Generally speaking, if you're gonna use Defender, you're going to keep it up full time, not up sometimes and down other times.

Take Scholar's Dark Arts / Light Arts. Scholars do not need to fool around with using the same Job Ability over and over again; Light Arts stays up almost for as long as they need it to.

Popping Defender every five minutes is just meaningless, repetitive button pushing adds nothing to gameplay. The duration should be increased to until the player zones or dies, in addition to any other adjustments.
    How in the world is pushing a button every 3 minutes tedious?
    (0)

Character
    Turdinator
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I'm getting a great deal of lulz reading these forums.
    (0)

Character
    Kuwabaraone
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    You talk like you remember back before PLD and NIN were introduced and you were tanking on war with retaliation... but retaliation was only introduced in March '08 lol
    Yeah, that is true. Still, would be nice if Defender did raise the rate at which a WAR parries. That bonus could also work with just Great Axes too, since that's a WAR's Best weapon.

KB1
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Invasion View Post
    I'm getting a great deal of lulz reading these forums.
    ^^ ¥€s

And anyone who merited on war back in the Lolibri days will confirm that only 2/3 hits ever double attack.
    (0)
    The boots and the furrr and the hastessess and the xarxxxcabbard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast