Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Character
    Kajikuro
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

MNK/WAR tank I'm confused Please Assist

Ok ive been seeing this whole new way of mnk tanking that i don't fully understand and apparently some people swear by it. MNK/WAR tanking, i don't get it, when i tank on mnk i /nin for the shadows so i don't catch some of the tp moves and stuff like water V and the like. So i don't understand the reason that mnks are using /war to tank now, i can understand on shadow munchers like turul, though i have never fought turul, but other than that shouldnt /nin still be a must? I understand the defense boast as well from /war but i cant see how that gives enough to make it a viable tanking subjob were you could just as easier sub dnc and violent flourish dangerous attacks. to cut things short im not saying that /war doesn't make sense, im just saying that it doesn't make sense to me. So if anyone could tell me the reason for it and some strategies of how to use it i would appreciate it cuz it will defiantly save me some gil
    (0)

Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    because counterstancing mnk/war deal lot more dmg than mnk/nin and whm can keep him alive
    for spells just swap gear in mdt
    (4)

Character
    Mdkuser
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    mnk/war is for damage dealing, mnk/nin is for tanking. If someone tells you he is tanking as mnk/war he is probably just subbing war for damage and doing it in abyssea, because he doesnt care about the damage he takes ( abyssea, cure V , cure VI, infinite MP etc). Counterstance doesnt block WS, range attacks and magic.
    (1)

as explained in / out side abyssea as long as what your tanking cant 1 shot you , or has stun lock monk/war destroys shit.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Monchat View Post
    mnk/war is for damage dealing, mnk/nin is for tanking. If someone tells you he is tanking as mnk/war he is probably just subbing war for damage and doing it in abyssea, because he doesnt care about the damage he takes ( abyssea, cure V , cure VI, infinite MP etc). Counterstance doesnt block WS, range attacks and magic.

not all true. but nvm.
    (0)
    Last edited by Cursed; 08-29-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursed View Post
    not all true. but nvm.
    what part of thats not true? if you say /war for club procs your better off /sam
    (0)

Character
    Tsai
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Nothing is going to one-shot you in Abyssea as a Monk that a different sub job would save you from. MNK/WAR is one of the best tanks (as one as well of the best damage dealers) in Abyssea simply because of how easy everything is. If you have a White Mage, there's no need to sub Ninja, especially considering procs (don't know why SAM was suggested at all, the Attack boost from Berserk is more beneficial).

NIN is a good sub for DD tanking in things like Voidwatch where you don't have unlimited MP to keep HP capped with constant cureskin.
    (1)

few things , Emp de altepa , cuji , hedged all are more then able to 1 shot any monk and are suicide to try and duo without /nin though emp / cuji you shouldnt be on monk period for.
    (1)

/WAR is better for tanking inside Abyssea, as well as general DD purposes. because as explained, Nothing's really going to one shot you there, and with a good WHM Support, You'll rarely ever die. You'll get enough Damage mitigation from Physical hits by countering most everything. So long as you have a MDT set you're golden.

/NIN for outside content of course. Tanking that is.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokku View Post
    what part of thats not true? if you say /war for club procs your better off /sam
    The part about needing /nin to tank. I haven't subbed NIN as MNK in over a year. Even before Lv.80, we were rapidly drifting away from /nin.

There's a lot more in Monchat's post that is oversimplified or inaccurate/misleading.
    I just don't care to start a wall of text post again.
    (2)

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast