Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pray

Character
    Mystina
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Actually outside cura IIis a great MP saver if you have misery up and fighting something that does alot of aoeing,. i seen good results from it, of course it is situational but it defintly has good uses in the hands of smart whms.

This is almost exactly the same as astral favor using carby. While regen effects look good on paper, they rarely get used because they're not potent enough
    Regen 4

Restores 30HP/tick for 20 ticks, or 600 HP healed over 60 seconds.
    Cleric's Briault increases the HP healed per tick by 4.
    Merits can boost this effect further (+1 to +5)
    Does not work with the SCH Stratagem Accession.
    Orison Mitts +1/Orison Mitts +2 Increases duration of the Regen family by 10/15 seconds.
    Cleric's Briault + Orison Mitts +2 + max merits = 39HP/tick for a maximum of 975 HP over 75 seconds

Regen 3 (since it can be aoed unlike 4)

Restores 20HP/tick for 20 ticks, or 400 HP healed over 60 seconds.
    Cleric's Briault increases the HP healed per tick by 3.
    Merits can boost this effect further (+1 to +5)
    Cleric's Briault + max merits = 28HP/tick for a maximum of 560 HP.

In short regen should never be underestimated if used in the right situations. i shake my head at whms who never use it saying it's "not worth it"
    (1)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I love Regen II as a RDM, so useful. I wish SE would give us Regen III / IV and a super Regen and just call it a day.

Anyhow, never underestimate Regen. It's awesome on anyone who doesn't need full HP RFN.
    (0)

Character
    Ahrana
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 96
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    In short regen should never be underestimated if used in the right situations. i shake my head at whms who never use it saying it's "not worth it"
    If regen is "worth it" then you're fighting stuff that is trivial. Against anything that actually hits decently hard you're better off using cure spells. The mp difference between healing 975 hp's with regen IV and cure V is 5 mp (82 vs 87), with the difference being that it casts faster, the hp's are healed now, I give them a stoneskin effect, and it frees up half my group 1 merits for a spell that can be a lifesaver (barspells). I can also cure someone outside of my party.

Regen was a decent tool when leveling up back when we use to fight offensively weak crabs, but with anything that has even medium spike damage it just doesn't do the job.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahrana View Post
    If regen is "worth it" then you're fighting stuff that is trivial. Against anything that actually hits decently hard you're better off using cure spells. The mp difference between healing 975 hp's with regen IV and cure V is 5 mp (82 vs 87), with the difference being that it casts faster, the hp's are healed now, I give them a stoneskin effect, and it frees up half my group 1 merits for a spell that can be a lifesaver (barspells). I can also cure someone outside of my party.

Regen was a decent tool when leveling up back when we use to fight offensively weak crabs, but with anything that has even medium spike damage it just doesn't do the job.
    This is the truest thing anyone has ever said.

I loved the relative level of skill involved in using Regen spells for merit-party-like content back in the day, but they're near-useless now that White Mage is so awesome at casting Cure spells.
    (3)

Character
    Mystina
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahrana View Post

Then you should probably learn how to play whm better, because not everything will do "huge spike damage" and more often then not somone is shadow tanking or nin is main tanking, if they take aoe damage sometimes, regen will give them the hp back without you over curing. barspells are indeed useful, but like most things in this game they are also situational, not everything attacks you with elemental attacks, nothing wrong with regen merits if someone chooses to do them. Not a very valid point.

This is the truest thing anyone has ever said.

I loved the relative level of skill involved in using Regen spells for merit-party-like content back in the day, but they're near-useless now that White Mage is so awesome at casting Cure spells.
    yes, because the obvious awnser is to over cure at all times, instead of being intellegent. clear reason why so many whms suck at the job.
    (0)
    Last edited by Vortex; 09-07-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Player
    You don't seem to get it, so I'll try to explain. With ideal equipment for both cures and regen spells, Cure V restores the same amount of HP as Regen IV for the same amount of MP spent. In addition to that, Cure V restores that HP instantly and provides a strong Stoneskin effect.

Orison Pantaloons +2 restore 5% of HP healed as MP. This is roughly 50~55 MP for a good Cure V. Thus, you expend about 80~85 MP to cast Cure V. The same cost as Regen IV.

For situations where Cure V is not called for, it's likely that Cure IV is a better option than Regen IV for the same reasons that Cure V is better than Regen IV.

I don't like that Regen is very rarely a relevant spell anymore either, but it's not. Yelling at a math equation doesn't change the result of that equation.
    (3)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    In addition to that, Cure V restores that HP instantly
    Additionally, Regen takes a lot of time to cast, especially for a White Mage who only has sped up casting times for Cures and status removal spells. Aside from being bored and toying around, or perhaps making sure I always have a strat timer from /SCH counting down by using Celerity + Regen IV every two minutes, casting Regen is a slow affair when you are main healing.
    (3)

Character
    Bubeeky
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 92
    It's been said before but it bears repeating....regen isn't worth casting anymore...takes too long to cast, too long to get the full effect, no cureskin on it, and it's too expensive for what it is, MP wise.
    (1)
    Love life, dare to dream, and LIVE ON PURPOSE!
    Also make sure to beat up any evil elvaans along the way, as we all know tarus are the ultimate race.

Character
    Kiimara
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubeeky View Post
    It's been said before but it bears repeating....regen isn't worth casting anymore...takes too long to cast, too long to get the full effect, no cureskin on it, and it's too expensive for what it is, MP wise.
    I'd say for most cases in Abyssea this is true, I use regen a lot though. Especially when it comes to Salvage, or when i'm duoing something with Saith on his nin.
    Regen is still worth casting, you just have to know where ^^. Back on topic I still think pray is a good idea just unfortunately not needed with the current abilities we have.
    (1)

Sig by Kingfury!
    (jobs in order) SMN90, BST90, WHM90, BLM90, DNC90, THF 90

Character
    Bubeeky
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 92
    Pray is one of those abilities that's really nice in theory, and in practice for a single player ff game, it's fantastic...but in an MMO, it really loses something (in my opinion )...I'd rather have like an aoe regen or something....I'd totally use a regenga type spell
    (0)
    Love life, dare to dream, and LIVE ON PURPOSE!
    Also make sure to beat up any evil elvaans along the way, as we all know tarus are the ultimate race.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast