Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

New Player - Lost and Confused on Asura

I used to play FFXI about four years ago, and never made it very far. (In fact, my highest level job is a 30 WAR) I decided to reactivate my account a few weeks ago, but find myself completely lost.

I admit, I barely saw any of the game before because I didn't level all-too-much, but with Abyssea, I feel more confused. I've been reading up on it, and I'm not sure I like rushing to 30 so I can leech experience to level from 30-90. I always liked leveling with a group in the old places, and was wondering if anyone else feels that way? I guess I don't want to rush so I can learn how to play my class instead of being a high leveled newbie.

Unfortunately, even before, I was never really in a Linkshell, so I played by myself most of the time. So, I guess at this point I'm looking for a nice, friendly Linkshell who's willing to take on a newish person.

Does anyone have any tips for a person such of myself? I do know about websites like FFXIAH and FFXIClopedia, and they've been a great help so far.

Thank you for reading, and I apologize for the long winded post.

- Valancia from Asura.
    (0)

Player
    Have you read through this? http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/St...ide%2FWindurst
    (or the appropriate one depending on your starting city)
    (0)

Character
    Dracoth
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancia View Post
    I used to play FFXI about four years ago, and never made it very far. (In fact, my highest level job is a 30 WAR) I decided to reactivate my account a few weeks ago, but find myself completely lost.
    Welcome back!

I admit, I barely saw any of the game before because I didn't level all-too-much, but with Abyssea, I feel more confused.
    Since you're so new to the game as a whole, I wouldn't even bother worrying about Abyssea until you're higher level. I started a month before ToAU came out and I ignored everything about ToAU until I hit level 60. Was happier for it, too.

I've been reading up on it, and I'm not sure I like rushing to 30 so I can leech experience to level from 30-90.
    The best news for you is that you don't have to do it this way. In fact, unless you already have friends in the game willing to let you do it, you won't get that good of a response trying to do it this way. You could shout yourself, but without knowing the ins and outs of Abyssea chests (when to use a key, how to not use a key, having Cruor to get the keys in the first place), you'll have a hard time leeching that first job to 75.

I always liked leveling with a group in the old places, and was wondering if anyone else feels that way? I guess I don't want to rush so I can learn how to play my class instead of being a high leveled newbie.
    Whether you learn the job on the way to 90 or learn the job at 90 really doesn't make much of a difference. In fact, a LOT of jobs are played differently between 1-75 and 75-90. The biggest reason you want to take at least one job to 90 in a more traditional style is Skill Ups. Being underskilled at 90 is a detriment and takes work to replace it. There are still plenty of people who would be willing to go to older camps, too. Just need to start seeing who's seeking. Learn to read comments so you don't try to invite mister "I only want Abyssea parties!" into your group.

Unfortunately, even before, I was never really in a Linkshell, so I played by myself most of the time. So, I guess at this point I'm looking for a nice, friendly Linkshell who's willing to take on a newish person.
    This is really worth spending time on. If you were on Leviathan, I'd say look me up. Good luck finding a good shell!
    (0)

Welcome to the Game! I too find myself of Asura server, a old time returning player whose highest character was level 21. I have found that this game has changed drastically since the old days and I am looking for friends and adventurers to enjoy my time with, so hit me up in the game or chat with me here, my character's name is Turisann
    (0)

Sandy, though stationed in windy as a spy.
    ah, good evening (or morning at this point <<) to you. I'd be willing to help you out on the game, should you need it. I'm a former member of Pandemonium, which was merged into Asura. my character name is TwilightShadow, I'll be on about 12 or 1 PM (cst) later today til about midnight or later. Please send me a message if you can manage to and I'll provide you with a linkshell and a small chunk of gil to help ya get started out on things. I play as Mentor pretty often for newbies in-game and I take a little pride in being of help to so many of them.
    (0)
    Dodgin bullets~

Character
    Rivicus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Welcome back to the game, let me give you some simple advice, make friends. Alot of this game can be hard to play through without them. Especially now, where everyone is abyssea crazed. Try to find people who share the same play style, be it high or low level chars. And if needed make your own party setups.

Last but not least theres solo play, For this pick up the job you know the best and stick to it. Some jobs arnt really as great at solo play as others but you should be able to take most easy prey to decent challenge mobs regardless of job, even more so at lower levels. Know the mobs your fighting and try if possible to pinpoint weaknesses. As for missions and storylines, with most of the game uncapped you should be able to do this at your leisure.
    (0)

Player
    Wow, thank you all for the kind (and very informative) responses! It gives me hope knowing that there are a lot of helpful people out there playing the game. I'll be sure to message you guys next time I'm on.
    (0)

Character
    Enmar
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 50
    Welcome back to the game. I'm on asura too. If you need help or just to chat hit me up. The name is Enmar. =)
    (0)

Player
    I know the feeling and yeah, meeting people that you can do things with is the best approach.

I'm on Asura and am a sackholder for a largely casual shell who's always doing low-level stuff and we're glad to help folks out (and you certainly seem nice enough). Look me up ingame; I'm Shinraishinrai. (Merged from Pandy and somebody's mule had my name or I'd still be just Shinrai >.<)
    (0)

Character
    Afoia
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 10
    just started playing the game myself after dipping my toes into various other mmos throughout the years. FFXI was one i've been wating to try since launch but now is time i give it ago before they finally get FFXIV working. I'm still reading through FAQs and irritating other players in game, but any help would be fantastic. My name is the same as it is on the forums, so if any kind souls fancy helping that would be a great start.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast