Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrow89 View Post
    I really like this idea, and I think it scales well with the job. Considering you couldn't do this it until you could merit anyways. Even then with max merits you'd only be able to use it every 5 mins. Also because of the mp requirements I doubt you'd see this abused too much outside of abysea. Scholars may be awesome with mp manipulation but 30% is a lot.

EDIT: Though in all fairness both of those spells are made with an oh crap moment in mind. I think if you made this accessible outside of a 2hr a heavier mp cost should be assessed say 50-60% of max mp.
    I can see your point of a 5 minute cooldown being balanced along with the MP cost for Merton, but not with Embrava, unless the planned duration is a lot less than a standard 3 minute buff. Effectively we'll be making it 7.5 minutes with Perpetuance + AF3+2 hands, so you'd essentially be full-timing Embrava if it could be used under Enlightenment.

Now, watch SE make the initial duration of Embrava 1 minute with the expectation that we will push it to an abnormally short 2.5 minute duration with Perp. and hands. Then I'd say yeah, make it usable under Enlightenment so we could half-time it.

We have to see the potency of both first though really. I miss AOE nukes when I'm on SCH as opposed to BLM. Getting one every two hours seems like too much of a limitation. Of course ISL chests, Revitalizers, etc. I'm fine with SCH not being able to spam them freely, especially with our ridiculous MP regeneration, but a little closer to BLM than 2 hours isn't too much to ask.
    (0)
    Last edited by Merton9999; 08-23-2011 at 01:57 AM.

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by zell_ View Post
    when it comes to mages, i guess its hard for sch to fit in. other jobs can do what sch can better. im not so willing to admit defeat though. all i can hope for is that the development team can do something to breathe more life into one of my favorite jobs. the community for sch is strong, i know many of us are out there. i hope they see this.

What annoys me is that it really isn't as hard as you'd think.

It is now, because SE went about the thing in all the wrong ways, and instead of just overhauling to fix the mistakes they made with jobs like SCH and PUP they'd rather make modifications that don't really change much. Most of what SCH is right now, RDM can pull off a lot easier. Scholar should have been a job completely different from WHM/BLM/RDM, and the problem is SE decided to go with making it a lot more complicated than it needed to be. SCH could have easilly just gotten all unique spells:

1~30 Tier I-II Helixes, Tier I Storms, Tier I-II buffs (Protect, Shell, Regen), Stoneskin, Phalanx, Invisible/Sneak/Deodorize
    31~60 Tier III Helixes, Tier II Storms, Tier III-IV Buffs, Klimaform, Dispel, Regain (at 41, to be opposite RDM's Refresh)
    60~90 Tier IV Helixes, Tier III Storms, Tier V Buffs, Regain II/Helix V as merits

Then you can fill in Cures and the Enmity controlling spells where you think they fit.

SCH could have been a complete unique and interesting class built around the "strategy" element of its back story, but instead they made it into a RDM clone that has to pop a bunch of JAs before it can do anything. The abilities are great, don't get me wrong, but seriously -- SCH is a hassle to play for the lack of return you get.
    (2)
    Last edited by Horadrim; 08-23-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Character
    Zellc
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post

It is now, because SE went about the thing in all the wrong ways, and instead of just overhauling to fix the mistakes they made with jobs like SCH and PUP they'd rather make modifications that don't really change much. Most of what SCH is right now, RDM can pull off a lot easier. Scholar should have been a job completely different from WHM/BLM/RDM, and the problem is SE decided to go with making it a lot more complicated than it needed to be. SCH could have easilly just gotten all unique spells:

1~30 Tier I-II Helixes, Tier I Storms, Tier I-II buffs (Protect, Shell, Regen), Stoneskin, Phalanx, Invisible/Sneak/Deodorize
    31~60 Tier III Helixes, Tier II Storms, Tier III-IV Buffs, Klimaform, Dispel, Regain (at 41, to be opposite RDM's Refresh)
    60~90 Tier IV Helixes, Tier III Storms, Tier V Buffs, Regain II/Helix V as merits

Then you can fill in Cures and the Enmity controlling spells where you think they fit.

SCH could have been a complete unique and interesting class built around the "strategy" element of its back story, but instead they made it into a RDM clone that has to pop a bunch of JAs before it can do anything. The abilities are great, don't get me wrong, but seriously -- SCH is a hassle to play for the lack of return you get.
    first off id like to say there are a lot of posts that i agree with and fully support. id also like to go through the posts again a reread what everyone said so i can reply properly(car issues absorbing a lot of my time atm lol).

ok, to address the bolded text first. what i was referring to when i made the statement "itshard for sch to fit in", was a referral to currently right now.

and the rest of you post was on point too. if they built sch from the ground like you had outlined, then a lot of the problems we are having would not exist(maybe perhaps). we would have enough tools to keep us unique. though i doubt they would overhaul sch to that degree, i wouldnt object if they did. overall great post and thanks for the contribution.
    (1)

Character
    Aerolite
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post

I wrote a post about how SE has no clue in which direction they should take scholar. I've realized that it's because the job really lacked direction in the first place. Compared to BLU(which got a whole SECTION of magic dedicated to them, although it was necessary considering the nature of the job and their spells), SCH has a tiny list of magic that is unique to them. It's like they didn't know what to do to make scholar unique, other than making them a mage that uses a lot of job abilities to cast magic , kind of along the same idea as Dancer, which relies on JA's to buff, enfeeble, and heal in parties (all properties that were originally reserved mostly for magic users).

A great and much-needed fix for SCH would be to do what you proposed. SCH would have more of an established role as a strong DoT magic user (compared to weaksauce bio, dia, and helices, which are becoming less and less relevant as the level caps increase). I also think that it would strengthen SCH as a buffer(depending on what the benefits for the T2 and T3 storms would have). This wouldn't be stepping on BLM or RDM's toes, since the nature of the damage dealing and enhancing would be of a different nature.

Also, bringing up Abyssea, the fact that helices aren't used for procs is incredibly insulting. BLU is the 17th least-used job, putting it only one place above scholar, yet they are used for grellow procs. Why did scholar get left out in that? While it wouldn't really fix the job, it would have at least made SCH much more relevant (as opposed to not at all) in Abyssea.

To add on what I said: I would completely be happy with Scholar's lack of Cure V if they make it an amazing buffing job. RDM can buff well, but it can enfeeble better than any other job, and therefore would still have a major role. Making haste (which goes great with celerity and perpetuance), a native spell to sch, and making it Accession-able would be a dream come true. Adding spells like brave and faith as regular spells would be great steps in that direction alone. It would also go great with the military strategist theme. Buffing prior to a battle is an obvious, yet important aspect to any battle. I would be happy with replacing SCH's role as a (crappy) healer with that of a great buffer.

With the idea of Kaustra being a strong DoT nuke and Embrava being a strong, unique buff, I think the addition of the 2hr spells is a great embodiment of my vision for Scholar; however, SE is not showing any proof that they plan to make any considerable amount of progress in that direction.
    (1)
    Last edited by Eric; 08-23-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Character
    Judge
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninian View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, and I wanted to put it somewhere, but I feel SCH should get unique curing tools, not necessarily access to Cure V. For instance, a Helix-type cure--that is a cure that has an initial cure, then has a HoT ticking afterwards.
    ; ;
    mentioned it before but nobody liked it enough to comment lol
    (0)

Character
    Zellc
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    ; ;
    mentioned it before but nobody liked it enough to comment lol
    i wouldnt feel too bad. some of the ideas ppl have are bound to pop up every now and again(great minds think alike etc.). so let this be know: if you do have an idea, feel free to repost or even post ideas that you think will contribute to this, or any topic.
    (0)

Character
    Erinael
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Well "healing helix" is kind of an obvious idea, seen it a couple times, but so are a lot of things that SE seems to have ignored so there's not much we can do at this point.
    (0)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4